Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Moosens' computer not do so ok

I was actually looking at heading out his way in a couple weeks... looking at that '89 wagon of his. I'm less than three hours away. Makes shipping easier & cheaper, too. I work as a comp. tech. and a few spare systems laying around... between all of us, we should be able to get him back up and running.

I'm at work right now, but I'll give him a call tomorrow night, and see what we can do.

We ought to get a whole separate section of the USMB for computer problems :drunk:.

And if anybody gets in touch with him before I can call him tomorrow night, I do have Friday off. Depending on what's wrong, I could drive on down there, take a look at his system, have it fixed, and back here before the wife gets home from work. It'd give me a reason to take a trip, and give the wife an excuse for me to get down there to take a look at Moosns' wagon, too :grin:. I'd just want to know what the problem is before I get down there, so I can bring along a set of spare parts, if need be.

It prolly just has a bug, format or reload windows, worst case hard drive is toast. I do several of these a year (side jobs), users don't realize how critical it is to update .dat(s)...they don't even set them to autoupdate. Spybots are just as bad as bugs anymore, they bring new pc's to their knees.

ask him for the symptoms, between nerds like me on this board we can figure it out in no time. i think ive had every problem you can possibly have on a computer at one time or another, ive cycled thru every piece of hardware at least twice and had a problem with each. oy, still easier to fix than cars tho.

I'll give him a call tonight when I get out of work, and find out what all's going on. I need to take a look at this wagon of his anyhow, and if he's needing help getting the system back up and running, it'll give my wife another reason not to complain if I head down there. I'll throw my box o' parts in the back of the Loyale, in case it's a hardware problem... if it is, and I don't have a replacement, I'm fairly sure we can scrounge one up between all of us. Software's easy enough...

'Course, if he's running on that VIC20, I might want to bring down that dual Pentium system I've got sitting around as a replacement ;) .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,it's me Moosens.Yeah,my computer is hooked up to all these old reel to reel rigs with tubes that glow and whatnot.....but it's really disguised as a Pentium 233(circa 1996-97 mfg dates) and the C drive is ALL used up.I have another drive,or two but I deleted some system crap by accident...or so I plead.....So many people have worked on my computer that it's a case all it's own.Thanks for the offers-Bard-call me Tuesday or so and well talk.I may even have it fixed by then.

Sorry to take so long to get back on here.I'm not pulling a Skip,I'll be back in my routine soon...look for me after midnight with the other vampires.

Ciao

a VIC-20 would've been an improvement! Actually I've got a new-in-box VIC20 and a couple C64s lying around if anyone's interested...all the C64 junk is going to the dumpster anyway, if you need anything PM me and it's yours for shipping :brow:

Paul, if you need computer help, give me a call any time. I think I'm probably the closest computer nerd to you...and I don't do just Macs. It'll give me the chance to work off all those lunches I owe you :grin:

Moosens, if you need a working computer just for email and such. I can send you a compaq 400Mhz unit with 4gig drive and 128Mb RAM for cheap (loaded with Win2000 and Office). That's what I've been using for 6 months now until I get around to building my own "up to date" box. Let me know.