Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch preferance?

They have a listing for the EA81 225mm centerforce.... $422.95.. No listing that I can see for the EA82 225mm, but you could easily just use the EA81 setup - just have to get an EA81 flywheel, and drill the holes a little bigger to fit the EA82 crank. And transfer the timing marks over with a scribe.

Personally, $100 for the LUK setup sounds spot on to me! The LUK stuff can take the punishment - no worries there.

GD

That sounds a little cheap, I've bought 3 and the best I paid was $175. Make sure it is a whole kit (PP, Disk, Throw-out and pilot bearings) AND make sure it is the 4wd clutch, 2wds are less money. LUK clutches rock. Later, Tim

the luk kit at autozone is around $100

I can't say much about the subaru Centerforce clutches, but I do have one in my truck and it's great. The only bad thing I have discovered is that the centerforce clutches seem to be WAY stiffer than any stock clutch not to mention spendy. Of course I should never have to replace the clutch in my truck again. So I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend.

The problem is that your clutch should last 150K or better. The small disks just don't have what it takes to last very long. If I was changing clutches every 50K I'd go as cheap as I could too.......:lol: Later, Tim

i used a 200mm clutch...not sure what the big problem is, though my car is completly stock...the last 200mm clutch lasted 50k miles with both of my sisters and myself learning how to drive a car with a manual tranny. not to bad.

I've never been told anything like this by new car dealers, or read anything in the manual's about it either. I think were it a huge deal, it would be mentioned in the owners manual, and the clutch instructions as well. If the flywheel is turned true, I don't think it's much of a problem. I agree that it's possible for hot spots to occur, and the flywheel to be damaged, but I have never expereinced it myself, and never heard of it occuring oustide of downright abuse of the clutch.... but that will damage it anytime, not just durring break in.

GD