Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Built a roof rack (pictures)

Funny that I still have thread alerts sent to my email from so long ago.

here are pictures of the one I built.

Weight is taken by the roof rails, secured by the factory roof rack bolt holders and rails.

Apologies for the big pictures. The red car is long dead.

Jay Hogan

roofrackonDD003.jpg

roofrackonDD010.jpg

Dec24002.jpg

Hooray for thread revival! Here is a rack I just made the other day, hopeful to make a few more for profit if anyone is interested! Fairly light, and tough, still gotta fab up a way to secure the spare tire, hi-lift, and shovel. I may or may not make light tabs, not sure yet.

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

Yes, yes it is. Good eye! ;) Kinda sucks to weld, I clean off the galv where I weld but still get into it sometimes. I will spray some cold galv over the welds before I paint....

FYI, be safe. The gas that is produced when you weld is vaporized zinc, aka zinc oxide, if you breath it, it can make you sick (temporarily) *see "metal fume fever" :)

Rack looks good.

FYI, be safe. The gas that is produced when you weld is vaporized zinc, aka zinc oxide, if you breath it, it can make you sick (temporarily) *see "metal fume fever" :)

Rack looks good.

Sort of on topic, but everyone should be aware that another big danger is welding over any brake cleaner, as the small amount of gas produced is phosgene, a very nasty nerve agent that causes scaring of the lungs :-\

EXAMPLE:

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Today I fabbed the mounts up. Next is custom shovel mount, hi-lift mount, and spare tire mount. Probably make a few spots to hook bungees too. Still torn on whether or not to mount some lights up there, truth is I don't really want to run the wiring.

If anyone is interested in having one of these built I'm thinking I could build a few more and sell them (reasonably priced). Also they can be proportioned differently LxWxH.

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

This is a closer shot of how I made the gutter mounts, I made them fit a little tighter after the pictures were taken, you get the idea I'm sure.

IMG_2124.jpg

Well done.

I made mine out of 1/2" EMT too.

Looks like yours is 3/4" and 1/2"?

I've got my shovel, axe, and Hi-Lift mounted on the outside of it.

It's amazingly strong and weighs less than 20lbs. Great for it's size(3'x4'x8" tall)

I'd like to redo it sometime when I have a way to notch the pipe so it fits together better, and a more accurate way to bend the corners.

Edited by daredevil1166

Well done.

I made mine out of 1/2" EMT too.

Looks like yours is 3/4" and 1/2"?

Mine's 3/4" and 1", the 1" is the top rail and everything else is 3/4"

I've got my shovel, axe, and Hi-Lift mounted on the outside of it.

Mine's all mounted on the inside of the rack, I was gonna mount it on the outside too but I figured it would just snag up branches and crap on the trail.

It's amazingly strong and weighs less than 20lbs. Great for it's size(3'x4'x8" tall)

I was amazed at how light and sturdy it turned out! The conduit alone is somewhat flimsy but start welding here and there and it gains rigidity pretty quick. For reference I think mine is 4'ish x 5'ish x 8"

I'd like to redo it sometime when I have a way to notch the pipe so it fits together better, and a more accurate way to bend the corners.

Get one of these, it's how I notched all my pieces..... http://www.harborfreight.com/pipe-tubing-notcher-42324.html

I painted my fasteners red for that time I drop it in the mud, when it's raining, in the dark, just in case....

So here is the finished (I think) product......

Shovel mount

IMG_2127.jpg

Hi-lift mount

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

Spare tire mount

IMG_2130.jpg

The full monty!

IMG_2132.jpg

Mine's 3/4" and 1", the 1" is the top rail and everything else is 3/4"

Mine's all mounted on the inside of the rack, I was gonna mount it on the outside too but I figured it would just snag up branches and crap on the trail.

I was amazed at how light and sturdy it turned out! The conduit alone is somewhat flimsy but start welding here and there and it gains rigidity pretty quick. For reference I think mine is 4'ish x 5'ish x 8"

Get one of these, it's how I notched all my pieces..... http://www.harborfreight.com/pipe-tubing-notcher-42324.html

I painted my fasteners red for that time I drop it in the mud, when it's raining, in the dark, just in case....

So here is the finished (I think) product......

Shovel mount

IMG_2127.jpg

Hi-lift mount

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

Spare tire mount

IMG_2130.jpg

The full monty!

IMG_2132.jpg

How much to make and ship one 50266

You mean like this? :)

IMG-20110224-00125.jpg

^^^^ it's been there since early December. I'm getting pretty fond of it. It'll be sad when it finally blows off.

It does catch stuff, obviously. But, I have the whole inside to pack crap into. Works great for camping 'cause it has plenty of room to just set totes inside it.

I measured mine and it's closer to 10". Taller than I wanted it to be but I kinda just slapped it together.

How did you clamp the handle of the shovel?

You can see in the pic how I held my axe and shovel on. Just hooks that they set into and bolts with washers and a piece of rod welded on them to hold it in.

And how did you get paint to stick to the galvanized pipe?

Edited by daredevil1166

You mean like this? :)

How did you clamp the handle of the shovel?

And how did you get paint to stick to the galvanized pipe?

The handle of the shovel is held with a bungee. The paint job is a super cheap rattle can jobber with no prep work at all. I used 2 cans. The paint was running like Forrest Gump but I don't really care, the car is a trail machine so aesthetics aren't exactly my top priority. Not to mention it was way to cold to be painting anything. My bumpers need redone anyhow, I figure if I get ambitious this summer I'll take everything off and paint them correctly.

How much to make and ship one 50266

Sending you a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

I need help building a custom roof rack for my loyale Is needs space for 16 lights and a mini custom tool box for emergency kits and sand. Whats the best metal type thats lightweight and tough?? Its gonna be one hell of a rack!

• 3 weeks later...