Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does "pug" stand for pugeot??

pwoens

Dumb question but being a noob I had to ask. I did a search and I think thats what it stands for. Are pugs wheels ideal because the bolt pattern is the same, or is there more behind it??

Also, I am heading to the pull your own yard and was curious what I should look for in regards to pug wheels?? I have decided on the 3 inch lift cause its my daily driver and will only be used off road once in awhile. Mostly used for fishing trips. So I am thinking the 14 inch pug wheels with 205/75/14 wally world all terrains?? Any input on this thought process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton,

patrick

Yep, pug is short for pugeot.

As for tires why not bump upto a 235/75 R14 (27.9" tall)? I run 235/75 R15 on my '88 GL wagon with 3" BYB lift. They are Wal-Mart Liberator All Terrains. Good tires on and offroad so far. Definatly not mudders tho; strictly dry trail tires. They clear out OK when you get out of the mud but while you are in it they are just slicks :(

What are you lifting?

Yep, pug is short for pugeot.

As for tires why not bump upto a 235/75 R14 (27.9" tall)? I run 235/75 R15 on my '88 GL wagon with 3" BYB lift. They are Wal-Mart Liberator All Terrains. Good tires on and offroad so far. Definatly not mudders tho; strictly dry trail tires. They clear out OK when you get out of the mud but while you are in it they are just slicks :(

What are you lifting?

hey Morgan....I just got done checking out wally world and those Liberators are about 50 bucks each. They look like they would be good all around tires and for as little off-roadin as I am gonna be doing they will probably be great. No particular reason for the 205's versus the 235's, just figured they would fit a little better than the 235's and be a smidge better on gas and speedo difference???? Probably wrong on that though;)

Im lifting the 88 gl10 wagon

Sweet --- probably not what I would want :D

Yeah I think the Liberators would serve you well. Bump upto the 235/75 :drunk: That's an inch shorter than mine (R14 vs R15). Should have little trouble making room for them with the 3" BYB lift. Yes MPG sucks and the speedo I dunno my speedo cable is unhooked. I can keep up on the interstates tho !_!

if you are looking for puegeot wheels, they need to be from a 504, 505, or 604 model.

they can be had in 14", 15" and the dreaded 390mm sizes (you don't want these). be sure to check the tires to see what size they are.

they are available in steels or alloys. there is a pug section on the wheels page. (click Homepage at the top, then go to 80s soobs, then 4x140 wheels)

the older 504's had a centering washer on the lug nut. you HAVE to uses those nuts with the wheels. (people generally avoid the 504's but htye will work as long as you have the nuts. they are hard to balance as well, because the centers aren't all open)

the alloys have a wide base nut that you need to use as well, but you can also find aftermarket ones that will work.

the steels use a standard acorn nut. I used soobie ones with pug steels for over 40k and no issues.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do I need to be aware of?? Are there lug nut and/or center cap problems with pug wheels???

Yeah I think the Liberators would serve you well. Bump upto the 235/75 :drunk: That's an inch shorter than mine (R14 vs R15). Should have little trouble making room for them with the 3" BYB lift. Yes MPG sucks and the speedo I dunno my speedo cable is unhooked. I can keep up on the interstates tho !_!
Being that this is your daily I would suggest that you go with a 26" tire(205/75R14). The power range will be only slightly effected and you won't notice the difference in clearance off-road. Besides, they're a little cheaper in price.

Morgan, How bad is your MPG? I still got over 20mpg when I ran the 28" swampers. And what do you keep up with? :grin:

Being that this is your daily I would suggest that you go with a 26" tire(205/75R14). The power range will be only slightly effected and you won't notice the difference in clearance off-road. Besides, they're a little cheaper in price.

Morgan, How bad is your MPG? I still got over 20mpg when I ran the 28" swampers. And what do you keep up with? :grin:

Around 15 MPG :( I have no O2 sesnor hooked up however so that can be 5 MPG right there on an EFI engine.

I easily maintain 70 MPH in 4th gear. Usually slip it into 5th gear coming down hill but any incline and its right back to 4th :rolleyes: