Ultimate Subaru Message Board

loyale cooling question

I have a 92 loyale and It always runs "cool." It takes forever to warm up and when it does the temp guage only goes up about 1/4 of the way. Is this normal?

I know that the cooler a car runs the better(to a point) but I dont like how it takes forever to warm up. Any ideas? oh, and the car has a newer radiator(1 year old) and no a/c fan.

Thanks

Jon

I agree with GLCraigGT about the stuck open thermostat. Since it stays open all the time, the coolant never gets a chance to heat up as it should. It will take the coolant a considerable time to warm up and still never reach optimum temperature. Replacing the thermostat will fix this problem. I would use a OEM unit and be sure to put in the correct side up.

• 1 month later...
you need to check the accuracy of your gauge. how does the air from the heater feel?

normaly it seems subes warm up rather quick.

Its warm but not "hot" like in my other cars. And today when driving it to school(1 hour away in city/highway driving) it was barely above the the C mark and there was very little warm air. The radiator gets warm on the inlet side but it ice cold on the outlet side. Im confused :confused: I was so hopeing that the t-stat would fix everything.

Its warm but not "hot" like in my other cars. And today when driving it to school(1 hour away in city/highway driving) it was barely above the the C mark and there was very little warm air. The radiator gets warm on the inlet side but it ice cold on the outlet side. Im confused :confused: I was so hopeing that the t-stat would fix everything.

My '92 Loyale also "stays" very "cool" with the needle about an 1/8 inch above the C even after driving the car on the highway. My first thought was that a previous owner had removed the thermostat...

Ben