Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing the Clutch Cable.

My 81 Subaru had the clutch replaced approximately 2 years ago. I had the engine steam cleaned and immediately thereafter the clutch cable seemed to stretch or something like that.

I had to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floorboard to barely be able to switch gears. What is a fair estimate of time for a repair shop to replace the clutch cable, 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours????

Thanks in advance.

The cable is one of the easyest parts on the car to replace.

Don't pay to have it done!!!!

It sounds to me like your cable is out of adjustment not strecthed or broken. You may have messed up the retaining nut that keeps it adjusted properly. If thats the case just tighten the nut (pulling the cable) so the clutch acts right again. Then throw an additional nut on to insure it stays locked in place and does not unthread in the future.

I could probably do the cable in 15 minutes. You won't spend a hour learning how to do it your first time!

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer---gone through so many cables and they all seem to break in the middle of the intersection while waiting to turn Left :banghead:

01 Forester---I hope they solved that problem. :rolleyes:

So the dealership charged me $150.00 plus the cable.

I think that was a fair price.

The mechanic who previously replaced the clutch cable two years ago didn't do anywhere near as good a job. I am beginning to wonder if the previous repair shop just adjusted the existing cable rather than replace it because this time the clutch feels a lot easier to shift.

well, baccaruda and i did one on his brat in about 15 minutes and we did not have to spend near that amount.these things are easy to accomplish. after all ,is that not why we love our subes.150 bucks could have bought you numerous items in upgrade for your ride.....think about it.....

Has anyone actually replaced a clutch cable flawlessly and effortlessy THE FIRST TIME THEY TRIED? Because my dilemma is I can make equivalent money working than I can taking the time to replace the clutch cable, which means I can stay caught up on my workload while helping to keep a subaru mechanic/expert gainfully employed.

Plus, I think it's important the dealership know our cars are still around otherwise they will stop carrying the minimal parts that they do carry.

If you can make the $150 in the 15 minutes it takes to un pin the cable at both ends and slip a new one in its old path then you should hire it out. That's the same method I use to assess my automotive projects.

However I can't earn the equivelent in that amount of time it takes to replace that cable.

I have never had one give me any problem after it was installed. The only adjustment is where you want your clutch pedel to be?

Replace it yourself.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer---eats cables :banghead:

01 Forester---better not :mad:

If you can make the $150 in the 15 minutes it takes to un pin the cable at both ends and slip a new one in its old path then you should hire it out. That's the same method I use to assess my automotive projects.

However I can't earn the equivelent in that amount of time it takes to replace that cable.

I have never had one give me any problem after it was installed. The only adjustment is where you want your clutch pedel to be?

Replace it yourself.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer---eats cables :banghead:

01 Forester---better not :mad:

I don't agree with not replacing the actual cable housing, I think that should be replaced just to be certain.

How does the clutch pedal get adjusted?

can't say for sure. but to be completly honest its a mattter of were you like it to work. manuel says 1 to cm of free play at the top but you can have more if you want just make sure that you leave some free play at the top or you will wear out your throw-out bearing. and if you leave to much free play at the top it will be hard to shift. but there is a lot of room in between to play with

ug...

all you gotta do is adjust it so you have very little free play.

a clutch cable thats too tight will be like you riding around with your foot on the clutch, and it could slip easier.

a clutch cable that is too loose wont hurt anything, but might make it harder to get into first or reverse.

the pedal height should be the last of your concerns.

ug...

all you gotta do is adjust it so you have very little free play.

a clutch cable thats too tight will be like you riding around with your foot on the clutch, and it could slip easier.

a clutch cable that is too loose wont hurt anything, but might make it harder to get into first or reverse.

the pedal height should be the last of your concerns.

Disagree. If the pedal has to almost hit the floor to disengage then it's not ideally set. If it's slightly harder to get into first or reverse then more friction is being generated which means something will wear out quicker.