Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whos turbod with no muffler

everyones right.. my RX didn't have a muffler for a while, and if you put it next to my brat (which has NEVER had a muffler, and won't) the RX is just plain quiet. the DB level of the turbo is nothign compared to what some ride, but it still is noticable. long as you still have the cat on, it's not unbearable

huh? I could not hear the question can you repeate?

as I just completed the TD04 swap and have only the cats and a turn down on it right now. its frigging loud. engine braking down a long hill makes your head hurt. idle sounds nice but thats all.

now if I were to run pipe out the back it would make it a good deal more pleasant to hear inside. I plan to put a glass pack on to avoid unwanted attention from the guys who drive crown vics with light bars on top.

Wow, thanks for the responses. Seems you can get anywhere from a ' it's kinda quiet' to 'It's loud'. I thought it would be the same across the board.

Looks like the only thing to do is get a muffler but do a straight pipe without a muffler first just to see how it sounds like.

Now, I'll thumb through some old posts to see exactly which straight through muffler is a direct bolt on but is relatively quiet. Thanks all!

alright I could not take it any more. I ran some 2 1/2 pipe to a glass pack and out the back. oh so much nicer. I get to enjoy my sterio system now.

please note that when no muffler is used but the pipe is run all the way out its not too bad inside. its when you end the exhaust UNDER the car that it is unbearable to drive.