Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help with my loyale intstrument panel

im new to this board, but when i turn my lights on, my instrument panel lights go off, and i cant see nothing. there is also a roaring from the front of the car,i was thinking it was just the bearings, any help with either topic is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Your dash lights turn off? does that mean they are on when your lights are off? that'd make a strange one, but if they just don't come on at all, mabey your dimmer roller is all the way down, or unplugged. There are several lights that turn on behind the display, i don't envision them all burning out at once. Unless you have a digi dash...then...i don't know, time for a new display...

So what type of dash do you have. Something similar happens to my digital dash in my 86 wagon, but my dash jumps around from blidingly bright to pitch black.

Don't mean to sound rude but you have tried turning up the display intesity on the headlight switch? If you have what happens? If you hit the intensity switch does it change the brightness? if so I would say switch. If you hit your dash does the lighting change? If so I would say you have a faulty dash.

If you have a digital dash it is common for them to just get a mind of their own and go completly nuts.

I have taken mine apart and there are about a million solder points on the back, I went over a bunch of these with a soldering iron and it fixed most of my problems for a week then they all came back. Good luck

its not a digital dash. when the headlights are off the dash lights work fine, but when i turn them on, every light in the dash shuts off. the display intenstiy dont even work, thats wierd too....thanks for your help.

seth

So what type of dash do you have. Something similar happens to my digital dash in my 86 wagon, but my dash jumps around from blidingly bright to pitch black.

Don't mean to sound rude but you have tried turning up the display intesity on the headlight switch? If you have what happens? If you hit the intensity switch does it change the brightness? if so I would say switch. If you hit your dash does the lighting change? If so I would say you have a faulty dash.

If you have a digital dash it is common for them to just get a mind of their own and go completly nuts.

I have taken mine apart and there are about a million solder points on the back, I went over a bunch of these with a soldering iron and it fixed most of my problems for a week then they all came back. Good luck

I suggest replacing the switch with a JY one. I just replaced a switch because the panel had no lights at all, when they were working fine before I tore the panel apart :rolleyes:

Btw, what year is the car? It matters, the 85/86 had the switch on the panel, the ones after that had it on the turn signal arm. The later ones will be more difficult to replace, I think you have to remove the steering wheel to replace the switch.

when the headlights are off the dash lights work fine

you do know that the backlights on the dash aren't supposed to be on without the headlights/parking lights on don't you? cause if they are on, with the headlights off, then I wouldn't call that working fine. Or do they come on with the parking lights, then go off again with the headlights?

Turbone, I just noticed, check the subject, it's a loyale, it has to be a later model.

I would agree, sounds like a switch.

you do know that the backlights on the dash aren't supposed to be on without the headlights/parking lights on don't you? cause if they are on, with the headlights off, then I wouldn't call that working fine. Or do they come on with the parking lights, then go off again with the headlights?

I would agree, sounds like a switch.

if they went off when you turned the parking lights/headlights on but went on when both were off that sounds like the switch was wired opposite, like pressing the off switch but turning it on and vice versa. id tear it apart and see what the wiring on the switch looks like, try swapping the wires around.

If the dash lights are really on when the light switch is off then I agree with Subaskeet about the switch. If the dash lights just don't turn on with the lights then you may have a grounding problem with the dash lights. To check that you can connect a jumper lead to the battery ground and connect the other end to a good ground spot in the dash area. You may have a bad dimmer switch or power connection to it also.

• 1 month later...

how much is one of those switches?i need to get one.

If the dash lights are really on when the light switch is off then I agree with Subaskeet about the switch. If the dash lights just don't turn on with the lights then you may have a grounding problem with the dash lights. To check that you can connect a jumper lead to the battery ground and connect the other end to a good ground spot in the dash area. You may have a bad dimmer switch or power connection to it also.

the switch is a few bucks at a u pullit junkyard. what I usually do it go in for a spare tire or something (something that costs like 10 bucks) then go in and fill your pockets will little switches and what not. grab a resistor pack for your heater blower motor, the dimmer switch, a few vacumn selinoids.

It will be the roll switch the second one in on your dash from the drivers side door

Funny I was just going to ask the masses about this same thing?

93 Loyale, lost my dash lights completely last night, they had been flickering on and off, coming on when I smacked the dash. Now they won't come on at all? I didn't think about the ground? Not looking forward to maybe having to replace the switch :-\

Good luck,

Chris

got my car back from the shop today...they told me my whole freakin switch thing needs to be replaced, itll be 367.00.anyone have one cheaper?i really need to get this fixed...my windsheid wipers and all that junk works, jsut my dash lights are backwards...they said they checked the wires and everything, and i went by the junk yard...they dont have any sub's...:(.

Funny I was just going to ask the masses about this same thing?

93 Loyale, lost my dash lights completely last night, they had been flickering on and off, coming on when I smacked the dash. Now they won't come on at all? I didn't think about the ground? Not looking forward to maybe having to replace the switch :-\

Good luck,

Chris

can anyone help me?:(

got my car back from the shop today...they told me my whole freakin switch thing needs to be replaced, itll be 367.00.anyone have one cheaper?i really need to get this fixed...my windsheid wipers and all that junk works, jsut my dash lights are backwards...they said they checked the wires and everything, and i went by the junk yard...they dont have any sub's...:(.

I am a little confused about the dash lights. Are they on even while the light switch is off? Or do they go out when the switch is turned to the head light position?

You may be able to make things work by placing a jumper wire from the battery ground to the head light switch ground. If that makes things work then there is a bad ground connection somewhere in the switch connection or the contact to ground.

• 2 weeks later...

the dash lights are on when the headlights are off, but when i click the headlights on, the whole dash light deal goes off. and another thing, when i have the car not running, the dash will stay on when i turn the switch for the lights to turn on, but they dont, when i start the car, the lights are on but no dash lights.what do i do?

I am a little confused about the dash lights. Are they on even while the light switch is off? Or do they go out when the switch is turned to the head light position?

You may be able to make things work by placing a jumper wire from the battery ground to the head light switch ground. If that makes things work then there is a bad ground connection somewhere in the switch connection or the contact to ground.

Glen, like you I am corn-fused

Lets see if we can de -phifer his statement

the dash lights are on when the headlights are off,

I guess we must assume the light switch is in the parking light position, key off.

but when i click the headlights on,

Here we must assume the light switch is turned to the headlight position

but he does not have the key on.

the whole dash light deal goes off.

Now the head light switch is in the head light position and the key is in the off

position - the gauge lights now tun off as do the parking lights (assumption there?)

and another thing, when i have the car not running,

Another assumption here - the key is in the off position?

the dash will stay on when i turn the switch for the lights to turn on,

So the dash lights stay on but the headlights do not turn on (because the key is in the off position.)

This statement is noteworthy as the switch, if it is the problem, would not allow the dash lights on at this point either. See my point?

but they dont,

???? Lost in space.

when i start the car, the lights are on but no dash lights.

So now we have the key on and the headlights illuminated - but

the dash (and parking lights, I assume) are not.

what do i do?

Get a better translator than me, as I am lost.

No mention of the parking and tail lights

one must assume they are also not illuminatted.

Please tell us sir Phifer what does switching the

switch on top of the steering column do

when the car is

a) running

B) not running (with the key in the off position)

Hey Skip

Your last comment sparked this reply.

What do you suppose is wrong when there are no dash lights, no parking lights, and no tail lights??? This is exactly whats going on with my 93 Loyale.

I have been using my "switch on top of the column" lights for marker and tail lights, I just have to remember to shut them off.

Thanks,

Chris

Hey Skip

Your last comment sparked this reply.

What do you suppose is wrong when there are no dash lights, no parking lights, and no tail lights??? This is exactly whats going on with my 93 Loyale.

I have been using my "switch on top of the column" lights for marker and tail lights, I just have to remember to shut them off.

Thanks,

Chris

that wouldn't be something as simple as a fuse would it?

okay, i guess everyone got confused....bottom line is... when the head lights are off, along with the parking lights, the dash lights are on, but when i turn the switch to turn the headlights on, the dash lights go off.the parking lights work, when the engine is off, the dash lights work even when i click to turn the headlights on, but they dont come on, but the dash does work then. is that any better?im almost to the point of just posting pics...ha.

Chris, as Hoozie says check fuse # 6 in the fuse box.

If this is not the case, please start a new thread.

Mr. Phifer sir, please do not take this as a smart remark but

possibly you are not aware of some of the "oddities" of the Subaru

lighting system.

1) the parking, dash, and head lights ONLY work when the ignition switch

is in the "run" position.

2) because of this fact, there is a rocker switch located on top of

the steering column to switch the parking lights on

should they be needed when the

car is stopped with out the engine running.

Please read the direct question to you in my last post.

It is possible this rocker switch is either in the on position or in an

intermediate position.

No offense intended - please try and separate your statements.

To my lame brain they are very confusing.

i didnt take it as a smart elick remark at all. the dash works when the car isnt in the run position.when it is in the run position, it doesnt work.when i switch that switch, it turns the parkin lights off and on, thats it. understand?sorry guys, this is my first subaru, and i know absolutely nothing about them.

Blue Train has a very good point - please pass the Aspirin!

Talking to the PO in this regard (PO= Previous Owner) may shed some light

(pun intended)

To continue:

Mr. Phifer Sir, the key ingredient in this entire diatribe is the "key"

the ignition key that is.

I tried in desperation to explain this to you but I seem to have failed miserably.

We are trying to help you, we know you know very little about these cars.

This is precisely why I tried to explain the way it should work.

Operative word here - "tried" - I obviously failed.

I also attempted to get you to use the "enter" key on your keyboard more frequently

Another failure. :^(

Please, I implore you if you would like my continued help,

when you tell us the dash light are on or off, please include what position the

ignition switch is in

and use the "enter" key in between statements.

Turbone and Torxx suggested long ago it might be the combination switch (the stalk mounted headlight

switch on the steering column), I would tend to agree with him IF

it were not for this statement by you,

may I be so bold as to quote

"when i have the car not running, the dash will stay on when i turn the switch for the lights to turn on"

I am sorry that is out of context, you follow the statement immediately with

"but they don't, when i start the car, the lights are on but no dash lights"

I will close with a statement I made previously and it's relevance

" 1) the parking, dash, and head lights ONLY work when the ignition switch

is in the "run" position."

This means, put simply - if the ignition key is in the "off" position,

the dash lights should not operate anytime.

to quote you once again

"understand?"

Your last reply says this is not the case.

i.e. they WILL operate with the key off.

This is an US model car isn't it?

Maybe the Canadians are different?