Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another one bites the dust.

WJM

What happened this time?

Well, first, I was playing with my enrichen'd mixture and ejoying massive clutch slip at 12 PSI when my rear suspension broke and I had to limp it home.

So...after spending 2 hrs replaceing that with stock RX units and uprated/short spring...I was back out on the road...12 PSI...oh NOES! power dissapear...smoke everywhere.

Stop, pull over...oil everywhere. Oh, the dip stick popped out again. Ok...back in...crank...no crank...slow slow slow...FInally, after mahing the gas it fired to life...sligh knocking noise...low power. GRRR.

SO, flog it back home...post this...put it in on the concrete pad to rip all the suspension off so it can go on the RX...REV to 7K at 14 PSI (floored, no load) HOld it for a few mins...and it wont blow up. It wont idle. Its knocking like crazy and spitting oil everywhere.

I think im done with EA82T's for a while. :banghead:

Geeze that's a bit of a setback. Do you know what happened?

Yeah, it's frustrating (I had my rebuild blow up after 5k the first time), but you can't give up, man! Find out what went wrong, fix it, and make it faster. If anybody can do that, it's you.

Don't give up!

I think im done with EA82T's for a while. :banghead:

ACK!!! That's not what we want to hear coming from you WJM! Maybe someone else but you?!? Come on now, wasn't this a thrown together 170k+ motor? Shoot I'll give you the 200k+ motor out of my RX if you want another of one of those. Runs fine just a bit of lifter noise and some coolant leak from an exhaust bolt. Kabooms tend to happen to 170k motors at 12psi I would think. I have faith that you are the man to get it back on the road in no time though.

Rings were already almost shot when the engine was put in (170K miles of abuse by prev owner...and 1000 miles of racing abuse in my other RX)

So...my guess...is that the rings on one piston totally went...but then agian...i found some chucks of piston metal...which makes me think a piston melted due to poor injector spray pattern...as Ive got those modded injectors installed.

No no....remember what the cylinder walls looked like? The history of the engine?

No...I added a little fuel...that should not cause the blow up. But the injectors might have helped....stilll....reember the crap taht came out of the block?