Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 EA81 Wagon questions

Bro

1/ When pulling into the driveway or driving slowly the steering is so bloody hard that my wife can hardly turn the thing. But ok at speed. I raised the front wheels off the ground and can hear a gradding noise when I turn the steering wheel. It seem's to be coming from the front shocks.....what problem would this be ?

2/ The other day I went from dirt to tar without taking it out of 4wd. I did a u-turn and the back wheels locked and I had to drap them behind me to complete the turn. It took a bit of fiddling to get the 4wd disengaged. What problem am I looking at here ?

Many Thanks in advance

:banghead:

Bro - Australia

1. it is NORMAL to feel significant resistance while turning the wheel if you are stopped or moving slowly, it is MANUAL steering

the noise may be the clutch cable hitting the steering shaft, very likely and common

your WIFE needs to exercise her mite, or try a different technique :drunk:

2. the problem is YOU DO NOT DRIVE ON HARD SURFACES WHILE IN 4WD

IF you find it nearly impossible to shift out of 4WD, try driving up on a slight hill, set the parking brake, shift into reverse, and work the lever

My old Sentra was a bear with it's manual steering.

If you try to drive on a dry, grippy surface in 4WD, and especially if you try to turn hard, you'll cause the transmission to bind, making it very difficult to get it back out of 4WD. This is because of the lack of a center differential on (stock) 4WD Subarus. The front and rear differentials are forced to spin at exactly the same speed, and since, when you're cornering, the front and rear wheels aren't moving at exactly the same rate, you cause binding in the transmission.

Not a problem, just a Subaru being a Subaru. Just keep it out of 4WD if you're going to be driving on dry asphalt.

1) If the strut tops are starting to fail they will make noise and cause significant drag on the steering.

2) 4WD doesn't like pavement as others have already stated. To release the bind you must drive in reverse in a straight line to releave the binding. Tires with equal tread is also very important. Make sure you tires are all in the same condition and size.

Thanks guy's for the replies.........I forgot to mention that whenever the right side hits a hole or small bump there is a loose rattling sound coming from the right strut. Would this be hindering the steering ? What would this noise be generated from ?

cheers

There is a bearing in the top of your strut that allows it to turn as you crank on the wheels. If that bearing is dead, it would explain both the effort required to turn the wheel as well as the grating and thunking noises you mentioned. The problem lies in the fact that a replacement strut will not be adjustable, so you either have to replace both struts or find an OEM strut that's in better condition than the one you have.

• 6 years later...

Its because the top of the struts mount there is just a rubber bushing that rubs against another piece of rubber when you turn. i did a 5 lug conversion on my 84 with legacy stuts and it uses a bearing instead of just a rubber bushing so when i was done it made it a whole lot easier