Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Launching an RXTurbo

Yeah, I asked it. Whatcha gonna do? :cool:

I didn't want to ask it for days and searched and searched which led me to this. You see, I like to drag race but I've only drag raced autos for years. Now that I'm learning how to drive a manual trannied RX turbo, it's a totally different animal. I've said it here before but I only know how to drive from video games. And I've been doing pretty good so far (no miss-shifts and only grinded once speed shifting).

I just need some pointers on launching. I know what people say when they say their car 'bogs' now. I practiced a couple of times the other day on some back roads. Heck, I tried yesterday as well. I only try this when it has rained out just in case I get a good launch. Then I'd just spin my tires instead of wrecking my tranny. I'm too chicken to launch post 2500rpm and I know I have too.

So, any advice on how to launch and get a good 60ft time? I'm all ears. Thanks for any help.

I'm too chicken to launch post 2500rpm and I know I have too.

Work your way up to it! you can do it!

it's really hard to take off decently in anything FT4, with my RX, it's clutch to the floor, ease into the revv- depending on condition of engine, street, and tires, i run betwix 2-3k revv. And I let the clutch out steady.. just ease with the same speed all the way through (can't follw this step in anything with a sticky clutch, but if your RX is near to being like mine, it's smooth.. not like a saab or anything, but if you let it out slowly you won't ever lurch anywhere). MAIN THING BEING: Don't go too fast in letting out, you have really valuble horsepower at the bottom of the clutch.

Well, i'm sure you're doing this already, but keep practicing.. RX's are a different drag than i've ever done.

take the revs up to 6500 then instantly let out the clutch :brow::lol:
You laugh but remember my dyno runs? I'm only making 0-25hp up there anyways. I'd probably bog worse then launching at 1500rpm. :lol: Welp, the clutch would explode from all the speed but the car ain't moving because there's no torque. Sucks!

On a more serious note, I'll continue reading and take advice. :banana: Thanks maximumBRAT! I'll be trying that out and practice.

I cant get a good launch in my Legacy without slipping the clutch alittle. The EJ22T is nothing like the EA82T so I dunno exactly how to launch a RX. But with the Legacy I like to get the engine up to where it should produce most its power (i guess 2500-3500) and then start to let off the clutch. Once the clutch grabs enough to move the car, i then romp on the gas and let off the clutch at the same time. Usually the clutch is fully dissengaged while the engine is accelerating back to its 3000-3500 range and im ready to try 2nd at about 6k.

Thats where my problem runs... it usually takes me too long to shift into 2nd and my competition is ahead of me.

Although I dont ever drag race (no... really) i do like to get off the line in a timely manner :) And my car just sounds so good accelerating its something i feel obliged to do.

-Brian

It helps out alot if you have the tires good and warm...the stickier they are the better the launch (X drag racer at Maple Grove Raceway in PA).The rest is just practice. I havent dragged in years but when I did I had a big heavy old Mach1 Mustang with a 428 Cobra Jet with blower...5 speed. Its all about practice and knowing the best shift points on your car.Once you get the launchdown ..then you want to work on reaction time. But sticky tires is the key...smoke them good before the launch!!Sometimes too by adding a heavy duty clutch you can get more grip with less slippage. Good Luck!! keep practicing.

This is how I launched when i went to the dragstrip.

Dry: Put it in low. Tach up to 3500rpm. Dump it on green. With it in low range, the car won't bog hardly at all. Quickly grab second. Grab third. Shift out of low into high. Try and hold it, you might need to hit 4th.

Aside from the time or 2 I took it down the 1/4 mile, if I launch it, its in the wet.

Wet: High range. 3500rpm. Dump the clutch, catch the pedal right at the top ready to push in to feather the car back up to revs if needed.

I've been dubbed "The best AWD Subie Launcher, EVER" by a few fellow autox'ers.

Heres my method on a 2000 RS...street and Autox...with either the stock clutch/flywheel setup, or the stock clutch setup with a 14lb flywheel....

Street: 2 options...fast an noisy, or quiet and deadly...Fast: Build revs to 4k...preload the drive train and hold the car with the hand brake...then GO. GO being let the clutch out rather fast...let it out to the point it really grabbs, only slipping a TEENY bit...and once the car is moving procede to get your foot off the pedal...that usually happens within 1/4 of a second....Preloading being...basically 'riding' the clutch...what this does it have the clutch disc and springs loaded, the gears all mated together, the driveshaft loaded, the rear diff loaded...and the axles loading...so the clutch and tires are the only slipping point...so 1st gear wont break no were NEAR as easily as a 'side step' at 6k or so, and the axles wont suddenly be 'snap loaded' and break...thats the real secret to launching a WRX these days...and really anything else and not make it break.

Quiet: revs at 1k...preload...and this is a really comlicated matter of letting the clutch out and applying power to the clutch at 1k and not slipping it/reving beyond that until the clutch grabs at 1k and everything is locked together and revs can now pass 1k. Its ULTRA smooth and the ultra 'sleeper' launch....the ricer beside you that reved at you...and you dont respond thinks he's not gonna race you...but you quiet launch the car and are GONE while hes still trying to slip and go with his 2500 rpm take offs. :lol:

Autox: Same as the "FAST" launch...but harder/faster and with more preload.

Now...1999 RS with Cobb spicey cams and Kevelar (sp?) racing 5 puck clutch (i think thats it...i know its a kevelar) and a 9.5 lb flywheel...same ways as before...but the "FAST" option is even more harder and faster due to the nature of the clutch/less mass of flywheel. Street starts are no different tho...but the clutch doe NOT need to slip at all. It gets hot...and slips like snot on a door knob...or worse.

Now...for the main event...launching a Full Time 4WD EA82 Turbo car really fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!`!1!~!!!!!!!!!one~!!!

This method applies to BOTH stock and unstock weight flywheels.

Fast: Revs to 4k (or whatever). Preload. time to go? Ok. Foot to floor, wait to 5k, and one nice smooth transition off the clutch predal that takes 1/4 sec or less. Once the car builds boost, if you are still slipping the clutch (stock clutch setups) the clutch will SLIP SLIP SLIP...SMOKE...and you will have just toasted the clutch. The clutch need to be grabbiing the flywheel and no longer slipping just as the car is building boost and moving past the 3psi mark...OR SO...but if its built up to over 6psi and 5500...say bye bye clutch and hello smoke and new clutch soon. The XT6 is no better than the stock ones...its just got more inital grab to it.

Ive done these launches time and time again. Never had issues of any sort(other than when trying to get the launch perfected, smoking clutches...). It will break 215/50/13 Khumo V700 R compound tires loose.

the street launch, i'll do the 2000 rpm hold, WOT to about 3500~4000...and ive got it preloaded and do the 'pedal job' and the car is gone with a little bit of bog...otherwise, the quiet and deadly one works fine too at the state of tune the wagon was in...the RX doent have any balls until 4k+ right now.... :-\

There ya go! :burnout:

just my opinion

the best way to launch a awd, 4x car is to rev it high, then slip the clutch off the line till you let it all the way out. this is bad on clutches tho. dumping the clutch only spins tires, or breaks stuff.

I agree that dumping spins tires....but on 2WD ones only... :-p and youa re 100% more likely to break something.

As for breaking stuff....if your name is Tom Hoppe(Tom is the Solo 2 National Champion in the STX Class this year in a WRX...he's broke about 4~5 trannys cuz he doesnt preload and always destroys 1st gear), or the typical "Rice Boy dumb @$$"....you'll break stuff. Of you are careful about the preload and speed of the clutch engagement....you wont break things, and wont spin tires so much that it negates the speed of take off.

When I break tires loose...yes I loose a little time on the launch...wait, NO! The tires build heat FAST and stick and the car is in the POWER band launching and its actually faster than trying to slip and not spin tires....ofcouse, thats on R's.

i have two.. one is when its an impromto drag race.. floor it from idle, when it hits 5.5 or so it has 10psi, let the clutch out just a hair to preload then wham, take my foot off..

the other is to preload at 5.5k, and then floor it to 7ish and pop the clutch..

that sends the car launching unbeleiveably..

but of course, now that im RWD, i have to walk it out of the hole and as soon as it hits boost its walking sideways :) hit second, spin some more..

i miss my awd! get the xt6 fw and clutch setup and that should help a little bit