Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi, my names tony, im a welder addict

hi, im tony, im adicted to welding. i cant help it. today, i couldnt get the ball joint out of its socket with conventional methods, so i welded a big chunk of pipe on the end, and hammered it off.

also i broke the pinch bolt that holds in the ball joint, so i welded it =/. it holds reel good, im a pretty good welder, but it seems slightly ghetto.

another time i couldnt find a screw driver, so i welded a small pipe onto the end of 4 screws to get them out.

i think i have a problem, whenever i run into a snag i look at one of the welders and get great ideas.

anyone else suffering from this sickness?

ps. im gonna drill out the broken bolt tomorrow and do it right, but it was gettin dark and cold =]

(All together now) Hi, Tony!

I'm glad that you can admit that you have a problem. That's the first step towards recovery....I think. Really, I wouldn't know since I don't have a welder. Just saving up to BECOME a welder addict. Lots of times, I think..."DANG! This would be SOOO much easier with a welder!"

I've heard that it starts out innocently enough with soldering and then its a slippery slope into the dark (you have to wear those goggles) world of welding. Avoid the temptation to start and "stick" with duct tape.
I have both stick and MIG welders, but my "slippery slope" is somewhat high-traction: I don't have that flowing, small-muscle control needed to do those nice overlapping circles. That and I am easily distracted... not good to be welding sheet metal and then start daydreaming about some neat idea... Holy Hole!!! :eek:

i lub tiggin, but cant afford a machine. i use a flux core mig, i have a bottle for it, but on exhaust and the crap i do, gas doesnt make too muchof a difference. and the good ole stick. i sticked the ball joint.

i have 120 miles on the ball joint, i might just leave it. =]

I understand completely. My dad was a welder for 35 years (recently retired) and he seemed to weld everything. He made and still makes brush guards, bumpers, ladder racks, etc. I am not addicted like he is, but I have picked up the skill and use it occasionally.

hi, im tony, im adicted to welding. i cant help it. today, i couldnt get the ball joint out of its socket with conventional methods, so i welded a big chunk of pipe on the end, and hammered it off.

also i broke the pinch bolt that holds in the ball joint, so i welded it =/. it holds reel good, im a pretty good welder, but it seems slightly ghetto.

another time i couldnt find a screw driver, so i welded a small pipe onto the end of 4 screws to get them out.

i think i have a problem, whenever i run into a snag i look at one of the welders and get great ideas.

anyone else suffering from this sickness?

ps. im gonna drill out the broken bolt tomorrow and do it right, but it was gettin dark and cold =]

You know you have it bad when the first tool you reach for is a torch to solve your problem (written by a guy who has a mig, tig, plasma arc, track cutter, multiple oxy/acetylene rigs, and two 300amp plus stick welders) LOL Get help quick before it is too late!

Dog1

P.S. I'm going to an auction in a couple weeks of a machine/welding shop going out of business. Need a welding fix? (as I lower my welding hood to hide my shame)

Hey Guys This is Jerry, i have been doing this over 32 years now. My uncle has a machine shop and when i was 14 years old he told me better start learning to weld. I told him i don't want to do that but when i got my first pickup it had drum brakes and i wanted to change to disc well thats when it started. I have a new snap on 250 mig and i am getting the tig next nonth. This saturday i will be at my uncles shop standing in front of the lathe making some subaru parts. Thanks Jerry

To fend off the addiction, I would definitely not buy a large shop in a rural area that just happens to be wired for 3 phase power, has a crane, hoist, mill, lathe, sheet metal tools...etc. That might be asking for trouble. (Not that I've ever fantasized about that.)

Also, I should warn that lurking on the newsgroup "sci.engr.joining.welding" can give a person some really sick ideas (and useful information.)

Another thing to avoid is "Ernie's Massive Metal Links List." lihttp://www.stagesmith.com/Metal-links.html

I have somehow resisted buying welders so far, but they call my name constantly and the cravings and lust steadily increase.

• 2 months later...

Hi my name is Bosco and I am a welding addict.

I just welded my first project today and after the first solid weld, my perceptiopn of the whole world has changed. I thought, " I can now join metal to metal" then my mind raced through all sorts of things I could make.

Currently working on making a frame for my BRAT jump seats. That way I can take them off and use them as lawn seats.

More stuff to follow.... (custom bumper, roll bar, luggage rack, spare tire carrier....)

muhahahahahahaha

BW

Hi my name is Bosco and I am a welding addict.

I just welded my first project today and after the first solid weld' date=' my perceptiopn of the whole world has changed. I thought, " I can now join metal to metal" then my mind raced through all sorts of things I could make.

Currently working on making a frame for my BRAT jump seats. That way I can take them off and use them as lawn seats.

More stuff to follow.... (custom bumper, roll bar, luggage rack, spare tire carrier....)

muhahahahahahaha

BW[/quote']

Hah awsome!

That would be pretty tricked out. Pull upto your campsite or whatever. Bust out your jump-seats with custom cup holders and relax in Subaru style :drunk: