Ultimate Subaru Message Board

minnesotas got subarus!

this saturday, a bunch of subaru got together at my garage. it was a blast. we went offroading, at a spot only about 1 mile away. i got to see a 2.2 awd impreza floor it up some muddy hills, and big dirt piles. we had three black wagons! my xt6 liked the offroading, and there was one jeep =].

i just want to draw attention to the subaru offroad action in minnesota. if you guys with in driving distance missed this one, you should come out when the west coasters pull through, later this month. this time i met 9 new people, who like subarus! most of the cars were stock, and they came with skidplates from the factory, for a reason right :brow:

heres a pic of all of the cars that went out on the trail. my black wagon is out of the pic, next time we gotta line up all three together(only one is factory black).http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25501&page=2

keep an eye on meet and greet forum for the next get together.

The jeep had a LITTLE trouble up one spot but other than that it had no issues out there. Everyone kept telilng me to floor it more but I didnt need to ;) Big tires RULE !_!

mschafe this spot is pretty relaxed; I'd say it had 2 'obsticales' and the rest were just easy trails. I used to take my wagon back there when it was 2WD and had extra worn out struts (no clearance!) I doubt you would get stuck and even if you did we'd have you out in 5 minutes. So when are you doing a 4WD conversion on yours? :brow: I know a junkyard in the metro area with dual ranges just sitting there right now!

Here's some video clips of the offroad session.

Impreza dropping in.

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/numbchux/Impreza-EJ22_droping-in.AVI

Impreza tries the rutted side.... naawwww :lol: Then Numbchux drops in the otherside.

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/numbchux/Impreza-EJ22_backing-down_Chux_dropping-in.AVI

Numbchux coming up a pretty rutty hill (second attempt and made it!) Then the Impreza came up the other side and shoved some stuff out of the way at the expense of his foglight.... thats offroad'n!

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/numbchux/Chux-wgn_Impreza-EJ22_climbing-duo.AVI

Jeep coming up the easy side (note all the wheel spin :rolleyes: )

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/numbchux/Jeep_Safari_slipping-up.AVI

Me coming up the easy side in Poopenwagen (note the lack of wheel spin? Subaru grip! :grin: )

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/numbchux/Poopenwagen_no-problem.AVI

I thought there was a video of me coming up the rutted out side. Did that one get emailed to me Chux? Can't wait to go out again!

I thought there was a video of me coming up the rutted out side. Did that one get emailed to me Chux? Can't wait to go out again!

Well, here we see the disadvantage to taking video clips with a cheap digital still camera, it was saving the last video while you were coming up, which is a shame, it looked very cool, your front wheel came up pretty high!

as for the FWD Auto -> D/R 4WD 5-Speed swap, I don't really have any idea what I'm getting into, you can come learn with me!!! and I want to practically rebuild the motor while I'm at it!

Hey.. what kind of exhaust do you guys have on your cars? I LOVE the sound from those two wagons in the video clips. I want to rip the stock exhaust off my '85 and get it to sound nice and thumpy (gotta love that flat-4 sound). Also, can any of you guys help me get my dash lights working? I can NOT figure out why they don't work. Also, I need that PCV valve thingy fixed so it doesn't burn oil on hard rights.

Thanks,

Matt

Hey.. what kind of exhaust do you guys have on your cars?

mine has the rotten out cat, plus about a foot of pipe before it's rusted off, great sound, but I wouldn't recommend that setup, these cars like backpressure, without it, you got almost no power

And archemetis, I've thought about the ej22 swap, and that'd be great, but it'd also be $$$$, which is something I don't have much of, I think the only way that would happen is if my mom's legacy craps out. and even then, the motor would have at least 200k miles.

One other thing.... any of you Minnesota guys have a spare alternator sitting around I could buy off you? Mine's on the way out i'm pretty sure, as my volt gauge is pegged at 18 most of the time, and the CHG warning light is on. This is for an EA82.

Thanks,

Matt

Hopefully your dash lights didnt burn out from the blown voltage regulator!

Maybe we should just hitup a junkyard soon? Then we could get the PCV mod parts (for free!) and you could get a junkyard alternator.

As for the exhuast I have an EA81 Y pipe to a piece of straight pipe with a thunderbolt style glass pack. The muffler dumps right before the rear main crossmember so it echos real loud under the car.

Chux is dead on with the backpressure. I"ve had many, many different exhuast systems on my GL wagon. The Y pipe is key to keeping your low end torque. Also not going to large diameter on the pipe is key. With a gutted out cat and a glass pack you'd be sounding really nice and a little more flow with out sacrificing your low end.

The video angle washes out the climb angle so it looks flat?

I hate it when that happens

Yeah; offroading rarely looks big on film or photos. I look at photos of Roy's and Castana remembering how nuts it was.... but the photos make it look like a lowerd Impreza would make it. :rolleyes: Too bad there isnt a "GO BIG!" filter in Photoshop :lol:

We should experiment with that, there has to be a way to make the terrain look BIGGER than it really is, no flat, I bet the best way would be on the ground right at the bottom of the hill

hmmm.......$150? that's better, but still the adapter plates are quite spendy, but that makes it much more reasonable, maybe in my next wagon :brow: