Ultimate Subaru Message Board

vacum unit or someting alse - pic's - pleas i need help.

hi

i have this part and no-one can tell me what it is.

its connecting the apper part to the vacum and the middle pipe to the engine and the down pipe to the open air under the car.

why do i need this part? can i disconect it ,take it out , close the vacum and let the pipe that come from the engine be free under the car, will the engine will work better?

pease i asked a lot of places and no-one know what it is or what to do with that.

anyone who know, i'll be happy.

here are some pic:

http://www.carsforum.co.il/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20902

http://www.carsforum.co.il/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20903

http://www.carsforum.co.il/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20904

http://www.carsforum.co.il/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20905

every one in his subaru have this thing but no-one know for what?

i chacket this thing when it conecting to the engine:

whan the vacum become strong-this oart have diafragme that let the pipe go free-let the gases frome the engine to go out,but only whan the vacum is strong-whan i press the gas. whan the vacum is slow, whan i'm not pressing the gas- the pipe is close and nothing can go out from the pipe (that come from the engine).

it's not better to leave it open all the time and let the engine work better-more free?

thank you all for your fast answer.

moshe.

Ah..... Sounds like your crankcase vent tubes from the valve covers. One side connects to the pipe on the intake, which uses intake vacuum to open and close the ball valve, while the other side vents to atmosphere.

The crankcase must be vented, but should also operate under a slight vacuum (thus the reason for one side going into the intake).

I think you need to leave these as they are. Positive pressure on your crankcase is not a good thing....

hi

if you can't see the pic's, here they are:

attachment.php?attachmentid=20905&stc=1&thumb=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=20902&stc=1&thumb=1 attachment.php?attachmentid=20903&stc=1&thumb=1 attachment.php?attachmentid=20904&stc=1&thumb=1

now, please , if someone know what it is, or why do i need it , what will happand if i'll take it out, (and close the vacum pipe that connect to it)? does my engine will work better if the gasses will go out faster?

hi

one line (the blue one) connect to the vacum with T connector.

the middle pipe connecting to the engine upper part.

low pipe doesnt connect to no where.

this part works like this:

whan the vacum is normal - all the lines are close.

whan the vacum is high(whan you press the gas) this part have inside it diafragma that let the lines open,whan the vacum is high, its open the line and let the gases from the engine upper part , to go out to the air - it has a pipe that goes under the car.

now , why do i need this part for? do my engine will work better without it?

i can close the vacum from the engine- the line that connect to this part , and let the line that connect to the engine - set it free to the air - that the gases can go out free all the time.

everyone with subaru with carborator have this part on the side of the carb- near the battery.

thank you all for your fast answer

moshe.

Interesting......

Seems that it's some sort of regulator for the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. Does the vacuum line go to the carburetor or to the intake manifold? (This is mostly for educational value for those of us who haven't seen one.) If it is part of the PCV system, I would leave it alone, as the factory setup works well and generally doesn't like being tampered with.

Interesting......

Seems that it's some sort of regulator for the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. Does the vacuum line go to the carburetor or to the intake manifold? (This is mostly for educational value for those of us who haven't seen one.) If it is part of the PCV system, I would leave it alone, as the factory setup works well and generally doesn't like being tampered with.

Sounds like his car uses a road draft tube. This was used in the USA prior to the Positive Crancase Ventilation (PCV) system. It sounds a little more sophisticated than the 1950-1960s road draft tube.

Sounds like his car uses a road draft tube. This was used in the USA prior to the Positive Crancase Ventilation (PCV) system. It sounds a little more sophisticated than the 1950-1960s road draft tube.

can i take this thing out ? or to leave it the way it is?

why it's there? can someone know?

thank you all.

moshe.

LOL ok Let me clear this up..the valve in the pics is a carb fuel bowl vent valve what it does is catch the fuel bowl vapors from the carb and vent them to atmosphere it also prevents raw fuel from escaping the fuel bowl of the carb through the float valve..

Correct hook up is middle connector to fuel bowl on top of carb

top connector to intake vacuum source

bottom connector to a rubber hose that goes to the left frame rail where the support plate for the engine crossmember mounts you know that hole there in the middle of the plate that goes straight through the frame rail and out the bottom of the engine crossmember...

My advice is DO NOT remove it unless you want raw fuel vapor in your engine compartment and in some cases liquid fuel..

the reason why most y'all US of A guys don't recognize it is because up north nearly all the ea82 "L-series" cars had evap emissions control (with evap line charcoal canister vapor seperator and purge solenoid) and that valve didn't exist as far as I know..

LOL ok Let me clear this up..the valve in the pics is a carb fuel bowl vent valve what it does is catch the fuel bowl vapors from the carb and vent them to atmosphere it also prevents raw fuel from escaping the fuel bowl of the carb through the float valve..

Correct hook up is middle connector to fuel bowl on top of carb

top connector to intake vacuum source

bottom connector to a rubber hose that goes to the left frame rail where the support plate for the engine crossmember mounts you know that hole there in the middle of the plate that goes straight through the frame rail and out the bottom of the engine crossmember...

My advice is DO NOT remove it unless you want raw fuel vapor in your engine compartment and in some cases liquid fuel..

the reason why most y'all US of A guys don't recognize it is because up north nearly all the ea82 "L-series" cars had evap emissions control (with evap line charcoal canister vapor seperator and purge solenoid) and that valve didn't exist as far as I know..

now everything is clear.

thank you very much for the information.

moshe.