Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rollover Saftety of Big Tires

MSSLGECKO

Alright, I have a disagreement w/ my father about the safety issues regarding puting 27" tires on my lifted subaru. The car is in my sig. and it has 195's (i think) on it now that need to be replaced.

I live 200 miles away at college. Am I going to flip my car everytime I hit highway pavement to come home?

All comments welcome

Raise the CG and increase the side grip on the tires and you increase the tendancy to roll over ... elementary physics my boy.

All the rest depends on your diving style/ability ... and dare I say it ... common sense.

BTW, you getting any snow down there, so far Whitefish S-U-C-K-S, although Big Mtn has been pretty good. We're getting just the faintest drift of powder down in Kalispell (I'm at work, heh, heh, heh) so I hope the mountain is getting a fresh coat of COLD powder tonight. Three days of gravity powered sports ahead.

lifted vehicles aren't meant to go fast around corners. no if ands or buts about it...

I put over 40k miles on a 3" lifted 82 wagon with no problems. Took it from Iowa to Washington 2 times. like was said earlier, given the same situation, high speed curve, or knee-jerk reaction to swerve outta the way of something, a lifted vehicle has a greater chance of a rollover than an unlifted identical vehicle.

I drive my 3" body lifted GL wagon on 29" tires on the freeway; quite often infact. My anti-sway bar is DISconnected. Never have I rolled any vehicle and the only time it feels unstable enough to roll would be when I get tipsy out on some seriouse trails.

Is it impossible to roll a a lifted Subaru? Of course not; and it's prolly more likley then with a unlifted Subaru. Plenty of people roll over completly stock vehicles; even cars low to the ground. I'd like to think it has more to do with how people drive than what they are driving.

Personaly I would be more worried about having a break down and getting stranded on that 400 mile round trip in an old Subaru. :-p Accident's happen but they are just that... accidents. If you haven't rolled the thing yet then those tires are not gonna start sending you into cartwheels on the interstate.

It is CAN be more possible to roll over with a higher center of gravity. The antidote to that is to increase your track width with a wheel that has more of the width to the outside of the hub. As well as a wider tire in general. At 8 inches of lift I had 30x12 on 15x10 wheels with 2.5 inches back spacing. The truck was a full foot wider than it was tall. With the upgraded suspension it was far more stabil than a stock BRAT. It was a lifted Subaru that handled like a Gen II Legacy GT. When I went up to 12 inches lift and 33x16s it was no longer as stabil and is now very much truck like compared to a sports sedan.

i have floored morganms lifted rig around conrers, just like i do my hatch, and wagon, that arent lifted.

every time i have gone with bigger tires, they have gotten wider. effectively widining my wheel base, and making up for your higher center of gravity. i gained 3.5 inches wider wheel base with larger tires, and pug rims. and my tires are small.

hit the ole man with that one.

its still a car, and 3 inches isnt much at all. still way safer than a modern suv.

Well, thanks for the opinions. I just wanted to make sure that I am not being an idiot here.

What is the offset of 14" Pug. Steels? Do wider tires make a difference?(never considered that)

I don't see a huge [negative] difference between a 3" lift and bald tires vs. 3" lift and 2" bigger tires - (so 1/2" to 1" more liftage) Driving the car, I feel like the tires that are on now are a bigger safety concern than any lift I could put on the car.

how long have you driven the car?do you feel comfortable with it?are you confident in your cornering abilities?these are all questons i ask myself wheni feel like pushing the envelope. the proverbial line if you will.your father only has so much to say to you anyway.i am sure he only wants the best for you.however sometimes it may be a little conservative for you.i am a father and i ,of course give the conservative view as often as i can.but, i know that one day she will go where she needs to go.as far as she feels comfortable i hope and no further.go with your heart.it cannot serve you wrong.your father will get over it.just do not put it into his face.be humble.live your life, but do not forget that he is your patriarchj.it does not mean that he is right.it just means that you owe him respect fo rhis opinoins although you may not follow them...cheers, sorry so long winded.