Ultimate Subaru Message Board

snorkel question

Snowman

For those of you who have installed a snorkel on your subaru, have you ever had any trouble with snow, icing up, or getting water down it? I don't see too many snorkels on any vehicles up here and I'm wondering if the climactic conditions have anything to do with it.

Your thoughts please.

Make a "Sink Trap" in the bottom portion of the snorkle so the water settles in the bottom. You may be able to work out some sort of one way valve like swimming snorkles now have?

Just a thought?

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--Needs a Snorkle

01 Forester--Needs a Snorkle

As long as you keep it high enough, you won't have to worry. If you're talking about rain/snow, here's an idea. Ghetto-rig some type of valve that will allow you to switch between the stock intake and the snorkel. That way, you won't have to worry about rain getting sucked into and/or collecting in the snorkel, and you'll have more power because the snorkel will cut back on some of the power.

what ive seen is

if your driving in good weather then you have the snorkel pointing into the wind.

and if your not or its relly relly bad then you run it back words

make the top 90^ so it can swing 180^ that way you can make it point backwards or frontwords. i dont think you will ever have a problem if you leave it forwards but make the top moveable just in case. also a sink trap or somehing that acomplishes the same thing is a must IMH

As long as you keep it high enough, you won't have to worry. If you're talking about rain/snow, here's an idea. Ghetto-rig some type of valve that will allow you to switch between the stock intake and the snorkel. That way, you won't have to worry about rain getting sucked into and/or collecting in the snorkel, and you'll have more power because the snorkel will cut back on some of the power.

I've heard that if you build your snorkel in a certain fashion, it will act similiar to "RAM air" and give more power. That's what i've read in some jeep forums. Has anybody heard anything like this?

I've heard that if you build your snorkel in a certain fashion, it will act similiar to "RAM air" and give more power. That's what i've read in some jeep forums. Has anybody heard anything like this?

Well, it certainly will provide colder air than you would get underhood, which will help performance. I don't know how much an actual ram air effect would take place though. Also, there should be less dust particles higher up, which is a nice side benefit.

PDC_0078.jpg

more shots can be seen here

http://usmb.net/gallery/album238

the parts are available here (though a lot pricer now from when I got mine)

available here http://www.jameng.com/

near the bottom of this page

http://www.jameng.com/products/index.phtml?section=14

I got

99010.457: DGV Weber aircleaner adapter

99217.090: K&N remote aircleaner adapter.

this would work as well....

99010.357: Redline remote aircleaner adapter

and then I got the 6.5" one of these for street use, as the snorkel is too restrictive at high RPMs

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=531&prmenbr=361

Well with the filter on the end it makes me think that i could make one out of some PVC fittings. I was planning to run it out the passenger fender and up the side of the window. Is their an advantage to run it inside the hood, other then saving the time and parts to run farther.

David

just make sure the pipe is big enough for the air flow... mine chokes at about 3500-3700 RPM's with the snorkel on...

They used to offer a dual opening adapter too, which I thought about going to to get more air in..... (I didn't check to see if they still had it listed.)