Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How easy is it to pull a EA82T?

Really... is it that difficult? Ive done a EA81 a couple times, and my EA82T will need a clutch and new gaskets. When ive dealt with turbo subarus at the junkyard, the turbo seems to always be a pain to get undone.

Are there any tips and tricks to getting the job done? And what kind of problems should I expect to encounter?

-Brian

Having pulled several engines...

These engines are hard if you have AC and stuff. There are tons of hoses to unhook and label and the turbo / exhaust really gets in the way. Definitely plan a full day of doing it, its not a 45-60 minute ordeal like a stripped down EA81 (Ya I am slow, I'm sure some of you can get em out in 15 minutes)

There is a reason why only 2 of my project cars have been Turbos, its hard to yank the engine alone!

My mechanic (husband) and I just came in from our shop after spending 1 hour and 50 min. pulling the EA82T out of our XT. This is the second one we have done so we had some experince. Pete has built a hoist with a electric winch. Hangs from a large beam in our shop. I pushed the button and he guided the engine out. Worked great!!! This engine we pulled has 213,000 miles on it. Low compression in one cylinder. We will repair it and use for our backup race engine for stock car. Engine going in has 135,000 which Pete has completly gone through. The turbo off the old engine is in great shape so will re-install that. Pete says the hardest for him was the downpipe as bolts were tight & hard to get at. Left turbo attached also. Best advice is to take as much time as you need & don't try to break any records!

leave the turbo on the car, just connect the fuel lines, throttle cable, electrical connectors. you can take off the "4wd turbo" plenum to access the throttle cable

just unbolt the turbo from the downpipe, leave the downpipe bolted to the side of the turbo.

do as you would for any other engine pull, jack up the tranns so the motor mounts clear, and pull the motor.

if you leave the downpipe connected to the tranny it will line up for motor reinstall. you will have to remove some of the turbo shrouding but not all of it

the ac/alt assebly can be undone and swung out of the way

it will only take you all day if you are taking off more than you need to

The A/C has already been removed, so im not worried about that.

Thanks miles for the info, I think i'll try to make this one of the only times I pull the engine, and maybe i'll do more work on it like the t-belts and everything else while the engine is out.

Just need to get 2 days off to do it.

-Brian

Yeah it was fairly quick and easy. I yanked out the ea82T out of my 87 GL-10 Turbo wagon in about a hour. Maybe a little more. That was with me and another person helping. But it was real smooth. Yeah just leave the turbo attached and undo the down pipe. Piece of cake.

it took me a few hours since it was my first EA82T I've pulled myself. I've helped pull them before but I wanted to take my time and make sure I didn't forget to disconnect anything but I also had AC as well.... I used a come-along and the rafters in my garage to pull it and I think it worked better then a cherry picker!

its a bit more involved than other EA motors but not too bad. exhaust is easy. just pull the down pipe and remove all the rest with the motor. that DP will not be rusted too badly as its only been on there a while.

I leave all i can on the motor untill its out(intake, exhaust ect.).

are you considering an overhaul while its out? or just fixing the leak and clutch?

I would offer to loan you my cherry picker and engine stand but you would have to come down to San Jo to pick em up.

I work at United REntals. Our yard has 2 engine hoists and 2 engine stands, which are rarely rented out :) Shouldnt be a problem getting a hoist.

Sounds pretty straight forward. I like the idea of leaving the cross-over pipe on, the Y pipes on EA81's were always a hassle.

Russ, im glad to hear the DP hasnt been on for a while. Did you mention you had a gutted DP? Im thing of overhauling the engine while its out, but that all depends on rather I have a 2nd car to use while the RX is down (which I currently do not). Im definatly going to replace the valve cover gaskets & oil pan gaskets. If I have an extra day I would probably reseal the oil pump and replace the water pump and timing belts just to have them done.

-Brian

with motor out, definitely replace any and every seal you can get too. 10 times easier out of car than in car, rear main and front crank seal in particular.

i pulled the motor and trans out together once on my XT6, not sure if you can do that with the turbo's, but it makes splitting the motor and trans, lining the trans up and doing any trans work cake that way. removal and install is quick as well. i have everything ready to do it again very soon.

Really... is it that difficult? Ive done a EA81 a couple times, and my EA82T will need a clutch and new gaskets. When ive dealt with turbo subarus at the junkyard, the turbo seems to always be a pain to get undone.

Are there any tips and tricks to getting the job done? And what kind of problems should I expect to encounter?

-Brian

I can have one out in 45 mins by myself. Its easy. Just pull the whole tihng out as an assy. Leave all the turbo stuff on... :-p

I work at United REntals. Our yard has 2 engine hoists and 2 engine stands, which are rarely rented out :) Shouldnt be a problem getting a hoist.

Sounds pretty straight forward. I like the idea of leaving the cross-over pipe on, the Y pipes on EA81's were always a hassle.

Russ, im glad to hear the DP hasnt been on for a while. Did you mention you had a gutted DP? Im thing of overhauling the engine while its out, but that all depends on rather I have a 2nd car to use while the RX is down (which I currently do not). Im definatly going to replace the valve cover gaskets & oil pan gaskets. If I have an extra day I would probably reseal the oil pump and replace the water pump and timing belts just to have them done.

-Brian

well hoist and stand should be coverd then.

yeah I have the old down pipe I made for that car. someone else gutted it. I just added an extra dump pipe for the waste gate. Its ugly so I can sell it to you for the low low price of free. or if you prefer I could use the old flange and build you a nice DP from scratch. of course then I would need a little more to cover time and materials. also would need to know how you plan to do the exhaust.

Not sure how im going to do the exhaust right now. The exhaust you built for it, is it 2" or 1.75"? I would like a free DP, but do not mind paying for a good DP if you can make up one. If you want to make one, try to use a generic flange at the end, and include an extra flange so I can take it to the exhaust shop and have them use it to make the rest of the exhaust. I'd like to go 2.5" with my next exhaust, but that probably wont be for a while. Going to focus alot of my $$$ on these new parts (clutch, seals, ball joints, bearings, brakes).

Lemme dwell on it alittle and get back to you :)

-Brian