Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hill hold or no hill hold?

I haven't had an operational hill hold on any Soob since my original Soob (an 85 that I had from 88-91). I loved the hill hold and never had a problem with it. But, I'm seeing a lot of posts where people are talking about removing the hill hold? Why? My current Soob has the cable snipped, but my parts car has an intact cable I was thinking of trying to swap over, but I'm wondering why so many people are removing theirs?

I can't speak for others, but will anyways. :grin: I think the general reason for removing the hillholder is that it is not really needed for offroad, complicates the brake system, and poses another place of brake failure.

Me, I like it. My wife liked it even more. If you plan on doing much city driving I would keep it and makei it work right. Very comforting to know it is there in case some fool climbs up your bumper on a hill.

I used it once after I learned I had it and went "WHOA THATS COOL" then I never used it again. Another cool option on an old Subaru that hardly any other vehicles came with but for some reason I never use it. I have no issue just letting off the brake and getting going on a hill; even really REALLY steeep hill climbs offroad where someone stops at the peak and forgets you are still behind them! :lol:

It is a cool item for sure, but you have to adjust it alot to make it work properly, I usually remove it from my cars, It seems like more of a feature for the novice driver, plus if the cable ever snapped or if it otherwise failed whilst using it you could damage your car and someone elses too.

I'll step in...

I hate the HH clutch! I think it's dangerous in an off-road application!

Let me put you in a place where you might get in over you head quickly...

Your attempting a long very steep climb. Some wheel slipping is occuring because of the loose conditions. You make it almost to the top and start spining...(I know this sounds far fetched because Subies have such great traction but bear with me)...You have just "spun out", you instinctively hit the brakes and you put in the clutch and assess what to do next...You can't turn around because to too narrow and steep. Your car is now is now beginning to slide backwards on the loose rocks. The only option is to let the car roll back down the hill...easyier said than done with a HH clutch. The natural reaction is to hold the clutch and release the brake just a bit and inch your way back down the hill, right? It ain't gonna happen with the HH clutch! Your going to find yourself with your front wheels locked up and sliding backwards...(when your wheels are locked they won't allow you to steer or straighten the car out--they just slide backwards--or even worse sideways!). The only way your going to gain control of your car (which is sliding currently gaining speed backwards) is to put it in neutral and then hit the brake again, disableing your HH clutch and allowing the wheels to roll and gaining full control of your brakes, then and only then, allowing you to true out the car as your sliding backwards... A lot to think about in a panic state of mind...?

HH clutch is a great gimmick for city driving but off-road it may take you by supprise when you least need it...

My HH clutch broke in 1984 and I've nerver fixed or missed it...

My .02...

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--NO HH Clutch!

01 Forester--NO HH Clutch!

Well I like it. I've found on my cars, you only have to let the clutch up a bit to pop it off. It seems reliable, cause it still worked on the 86 that dissapeared in a cloud of rust. It only locks up one front and one rear, ever notice how the car stands higher and then drops a bit when you release the hill holder? that means a front an rear are both holding the car. And seeing as I have a hard time fitting my feet in around the pedals, size 15 boots and all, the less fancy footwork I have to do the better. I use the handbrake in cars that have it, and in others, I just dump the clutch and punch the gas. Mabe I'm just not good enough, but its a good crutch to have.

My XT6 doesnt have it due to me doing the tranny swap and being lazy. I agree that it is very neat, great for people just learing how to drive a stick. My 87 wagon NEEDS it. The thing has soo little power that if you let it roll back even slightly while going up a real steep hill, you either slip the hell out of the clutch or stall it. Its also fun to scare people with.:rolleyes:

(I know this sounds far fetched because Subies have such great traction but bear with me)

Glenn

Not far fetched at all. I've done lots of hill climbs I couldn't make the first or second try and had to back down for another run. Third time is the charm though! :brow:

It's really fun backing down hill climbs that have turns and trees in them :lol:

Stop on a really steep hill and put the clutch in and see if you start rollin backwards:lol:

Gotta enguage it first.

Come to a stop on a hill. Push in clutch. Then release and press the brake pedal firmly to set it. Should hear it click under the hood and you will be stopped w/o the brake pedal held down. Now you can put your foot back over the gas pedal :)

I'll step in...

I hate the HH clutch! I think it's dangerous in an off-road application!

Let me put you in a place where you might get in over you head quickly...

Your attempting a long very steep climb. Some wheel slipping is occuring because of the loose conditions. You make it almost to the top and start spining...(I know this sounds far fetched because Subies have such great traction but bear with me)...You have just "spun out", you instinctively hit the brakes and you put in the clutch and assess what to do next...You can't turn around because to too narrow and steep. Your car is now is now beginning to slide backwards on the loose rocks. The only option is to let the car roll back down the hill...easyier said than done with a HH clutch. The natural reaction is to hold the clutch and release the brake just a bit and inch your way back down the hill, right? It ain't gonna happen with the HH clutch! Your going to find yourself with your front wheels locked up and sliding backwards...(when your wheels are locked they won't allow you to steer or straighten the car out--they just slide backwards--or even worse sideways!). The only way your going to gain control of your car (which is sliding currently gaining speed backwards) is to put it in neutral and then hit the brake again, disableing your HH clutch and allowing the wheels to roll and gaining full control of your brakes, then and only then, allowing you to true out the car as your sliding backwards... A lot to think about in a panic state of mind...?

HH clutch is a great gimmick for city driving but off-road it may take you by supprise when you least need it...

My HH clutch broke in 1984 and I've nerver fixed or missed it...

My .02...

Glenn

Its all about options...

I will agree that with some experience the hill holder is unnecessary in most situations. But with proper adjustment it can be set up so that it only works when you want it to. Now under normal use I don’t bury my clutch into the carpet, I just move it passed the “cam over point” to full disengagement, shift, then engage. My HH is adjusted so that it ONLY catches with the last 1/2" or so of clutch pedal stroke, well passed the disengagement point, and then it normally takes a bit of a stab on the brake pedal to set it. I have never had it catch when I didn’t want it to and it’s always there when I want it. Works great for me.

Gary

To each his own...

I personally love it also, living in Colorado most places you drive are hills or mountains so I use mine all the time. Not that I don't know how to drive a stick but just because I'm half lazy (ok more than half) and if I don't have to hold down the brake pedal while sitting on a hill waiting for a light to turn green...well I think that's one nice option :).

But I do see that it could be a problem while off-roading but then again I highly doubt Subaru had offroading in mind while designing it. I have had one go bad on me on a previous Sube and that wasn't cool but I should've been paying attention to my brake fluid levels and I would've known before it fully went out.