Ultimate Subaru Message Board

making my GL faster

I'm planning on putting exhaust and a K&N air filter on my '87 gl but I'm not too sure what kind of exhaust would sound the best or what kind of mufflers would sound the best. i'm actually going for power more than anything, but i've heard a WRX with exhaust and i think it would be something to pull up next to the Hondas in the school parking lot that sound like weedeaters and blow them away in my station wagon. and do they even make K&N air filters for these old Subarus? or would I have to find some way to make one fit? and how much would a good exhaust system cost?

a good exhaust. 70 bucks.take it to a muffler shop have them cut the old exhaust off near the carrier bearing and make it 2 inch straight pipe (No muffler) to the back, where the old muffler was.

yes they do make k&n filters for these cars..

Even that, thats not gonna make your GL "FAST"

I just got an exhaust today on my car. my muffler had rust off, and i was driving around with straight pipe. i got a dual outlet muffler installed the power curve is moved a touch lower by the seat of the pants meter. but the mileage took a dip.

I would never want another straight pipe sounds AWFUL and noisy, not like a v12 with a straight pipe like a POS.

I took pics, they are still on my camera but I lost the cable :banghead:

bottom line just a muffler wont make it fast. maybe you need a turbo or XT4 engine. Id want the XT4 engine for its better intake manifold and dual ports.

An 87 should be SPFI (or, at least, mine is).

*points and laughs* Good luck making it fast. If you do, please let me know, because I'd like to do the same.

If you have 4WD and/or a dual range, you might have some luck racing Hondas in mud... if they get stuck & you can get through, it's kind of like winning.

Realistically, I think you'd be lucky to get 100HP out of the engine (it's 90 stock IIRC). You could get some race cams, but they just shift the power band up higher (and out of normal around-town areas).

Some things that will help are anything that reduces frictional losses in the drivetrain. Synthetic gearbox/differential lube helps some, keep the tires inflated, etc.

Also, you might want to consider a cold air intake with the K&N. Get cooler air into the engine, and it'll make a bit more power.

If you haven't redone the ignition system, it's probably due for a bit of work. Plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor, and maybe a new coil.

Send the fuel injector in to be cleaned. If the fuel doesn't get injected properly (streams instead of a spray), it's not going to burn as well.

-=Russ=-

Breathing won't give you more than about 5-7hp - tops - but it will make you louder. (turboed cars are an exception)

The only way to really increase power it to convert to a turbo (115 stock hp) - would require swapping engines - or to drop an EJ22 engine in (around 130hp stock, but moddable) - and you would have to make/buy an adaptor plate.

Either option would require a LOT of modding, esp. electrical work and you could tear up your tranny quick if you are not careful. ESPECIALLY if it is an automatic.

The way to beat a honda is to outmaneuver them - the handeling on them sucks, even with a modded suspension. An EA82 in decent condition with proper inflation (for me that is 31psi front and rear) can out do a honda on curves anyday. Most riceburners I have seen use an auto. tranny - that will make anything slow.

Hondas aren't all that bad... on pavement. I've done some spirited driving in my sisters Civic Si, and it holds pretty flat in the corners. nice stiff suspension too. I can't take it down my driveway or road at half the speed I can in my wagon though. It has mabe like 4-5 inches of clearance... makes me nervous.

The GL will never be fast, sorry to burst your bubble. If its a manual, you can drive it faster. Take it up to 4500 between shifts, It'll pull a bit harder up there. Don't try it if its an automatic. Try to get the engine running as good as possible first, basic tuneup stuff, and take the intake muffler off of the airbox. Do a search for snorkel removal. If anyone gives you ************ about your car, remind them you can put a matress in the back and they can't. :drunk:

Try advancing your disty about 4-5 degrees, but watch for detonation, run premium and advance till it pings, then retard it 2 degrees.

Try delta cam's they make regrinds off your cams, that will wake up the motor, from mild to a high rpm screamer, but the latter will have no low end grunt

strip the entire interior down, the weight you loose is equal to horse power.

just a disclaimer, if you want power, you have to spend money. if you want real power you should start with somthing more than 90 hp, 50 percent more on our engine is 135, which is less then the 2.2 legacy motor, yes it bolts in with an adaptor plate and a whole bunch of wiring if you take a WRX motor and add 50 percent you get about 325 which is very nice.

well if you dont have big dollars to spend start witht he basics:

star with the exhaust. ditch the stock muffler and run your own lengths of pipe. on my car i hacve a cherry bomb immediately after the y pipe flange, and 2 inch back to a 80 deg bend out the side, where it expands 2o 2.5 inch for sound. idles quiet but has a deep mellow tone, snarls when revved! a little on the anti-rice as far as sound is concerned

this retained the in town driveability but lets the rpms open a little and improves highway driing, economy and throttle response

with the exhaut opened up you can open the intake a little, that is either cut the bottom of the air box out or go with a cone filter. i guess the auto zone "throttle body adapter" in the import performance aisle will fit the subaru MAF

and get a hotter coil, an accel super stock will do, and gap your plugs out to .050, and use quality wires. advance the timing up a few degrees, watch for pinging, and run a mid to premium grade gas.

this is no big step but you will notice it and you will optimise the stock engine setup, and if you go aftermarket for cams and such at least you have a good base to support it

Hello, my name is James Malarkey and my company is Allied Armament alliedarmament.com we manufacture subaru lift kits and other accessories. We have currently modified our 1986 subaru gl (with a lift) with a Weber carb. and a y pipe exhaust and some minor electrical tweeks. The Exhaust netted nearly a noticeable power gain, but the carb made a large difference. I would say save your money and do not invest in a full exhaust its just not worth it. Our company is tired of playing with EA 82s "the engine in your car" and are switching to a 1990 legacy 2.2 liter conversion (135 horsepower). We will be updating the conversion on our website so if you have time you should check it out, it may be the route you may want to go.

I'm planning on putting exhaust and a K&N air filter on my '87 gl but I'm not too sure what kind of exhaust would sound the best or what kind of mufflers would sound the best. i'm actually going for power more than anything, but i've heard a WRX with exhaust and i think it would be something to pull up next to the Hondas in the school parking lot that sound like weedeaters and blow them away in my station wagon. and do they even make K&N air filters for these old Subarus? or would I have to find some way to make one fit? and how much would a good exhaust system cost?

No...its a A11-56B, so its an RX.

Which is B3tt4r

The Exhaust netted nearly a noticeable power gain, but the carb made a large difference. I would say save your money and do not invest in a full exhaust its just not worth it. Our company is tired of playing with EA 82s "the engine in your car" and are switching to a 1990 legacy 2.2 liter conversion (135 horsepower). We will be updating the conversion on our website so if you have time you should check it out, it may be the route you may want to go.

Not so and been done. High power comes from flow, increasing the flow in the exhaust will add horse power, many have done it and stand by the results. as far as the 2.2, Mudrat79 makes an excellent conversion kit already, there is also an abundance of writeups already in the subaru retrofit forum, check it out.

t3h b3ttAr. Get it right.

Ok, here's how to get the most out of the SPFI engine:

Delta 272 Cams w/valve springs

Thinner headgasket, along with some pistons...get the compression to ~10.5:1

FULL engine management with DIS...MSDIS

TWE header, and a decent header back exhaust...use a reagualr 3 way cat a little larger than the exh piping dia...and a Stromung muffler. BOXER sound comes back!

Make a nice high flowing intake and ditch the MAF thats on those SPFI's for either NO MAF, or one from a MPFI/TURBO EA82 87+.

*SHOULD* yeild 150~170 NA ponies....individual reslts may vary.

OR...for LESS than that...turbo swap/turbo EA82T car...and:

TWE header/Downpipe

EBC set to 14 PSI

WRX or STi intercooler

an intake

stock everything else

Thats a proven 230HP and 295 TQ....for under 3k.

wow guys, thanks alot... i got $1500 to blow and i have a feeling after reading all this, i'm gonna go broke, lol. I think I'll stick with exaust for the sound, a Weber carb, maybe even headers... and the K&N air filter. then i'll get a better job and save up money, and...... turbo maybe?

wow guys, thanks alot... i got $1500 to blow and i have a feeling after reading all this, i'm gonna go broke, lol. I think I'll stick with exaust for the sound, a Weber carb, maybe even headers... and the K&N air filter. then i'll get a better job and save up money, and...... turbo maybe?

Is it SPFI or Carbed?

Get a lift tires and wheels, won't go faster, but be a whole heck of a lot cooler

www.ozified.com for the lift

Peugeot wheels are the only ones that fit, go with the 14's

as for tires, go with the SSR's the seem to be the most popular.

could be all done for about 1100, which leaves just enough for the webber.

carbed. about how much could i do with $1500?

Did you ever get my PM i sent you?

Depends on what you want to do with it...street car or off road or both?

For street...you would want to do a Full Time 4WD swap. Ive got a single range FT4WD 5spd I could sell you for not too much.

You could find a turbo donor car and go with a turbo swap...it would only cost about $200+cost of the donor car if we work to gether on the project.

Depending on what the donor car cost...say...$500 at most...that leaves you with about 1k afterwards...800 or after the misc stuff we would need for the swap. $800.....that can get you a TWE DP, WRX TMIC, boost controller, and a DP-back exhaust...that *should* be good for about 160~180 at the crank.