Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie, any tips?

Hey folks! Just got my very first Subaru. '85 GL Wagon 4WD-DR. And so far I can't believe it! I always thought these things were junk but it's actually a cool little car. I paid $550 for mine and almost everything works on it. I just went through a mud trail behind my house that I've never gotten through with any other car.

Okay enough with the joy, I wanted to know if there's any routine maint. that I should do to protect my new baby? I just changed the plugs and all filters today (even that pcv filter!) Anyplace online have replacement parts? Autozone don't have much. I want new plug wires, cap & rotor etc.

Also, what's the average life expectancy of a EA82 motor? mines got 136k and counting. I just mean how long until a rebuild is gonna be knockin' ? And I'm just looking for any other subie tips you veterans might have to keep her healthy.

timing belts every 50k miles.

change the oil with GOOD oil every 3k, and ALWAYS use OE parts.

keep the cooling system clean and fresh coolant....

and its good for another 136k!

I work at Prestige SUBARU in Asheville NC, so anything you need, I can get it for you.

Welcome to the board!

I've found the basic tune up kit does extremely well on these old beasts.

Plugs, a cap and wires seems to cure everything.

Four wheel drive in a small car is amazing!

Enjoy you new toy.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

timing belts every 50k miles ...

It's a non-interference engine, so if you're not worried about being stranded, Drive it 'til the belt breaks. I routinely got 100K out of our '87 GL T-belts.

Everything else WJM said.

Welcome, have fun, keep the oily side down.

Cooling! Make sure fan comes on properly as the thermoswitch for the fans tends to go bad. Ensure the radiator is in good shape; not turning green or missing any fins. As WJM stated keep the coolant fresh and a back flush is a good idea. Water pump is key; grab the clutch fan and see if there is any play in the shaft to the pump. Make sure the shaft spins freely (slip off the belt to check that)

Also don't assume the previouse owner did anything and do it all. Oil change first thing. Quality filter (Purelator is the same as an OEM Subaru filter and they got a pureONE for a premium model) some quality oil and keep a spare quart handy :)

Glad to see you already did some maintanace. Also swap out the fuel filter. New gear lube in the tranny would be good too. PCV valve there behind the intake manifold. Air filter too for sure!

Anything else I missed guys? Letem know!

Welcome to the USMB :drunk:

Yeah, cooling system was my next hurdle since summer is coming. I figured on new hoses, stat, pump, etc. Probably do the timing belt then. I wish the shifter slop thing was easier to fix, I'll probably just leave it, the whole reason I bought it was to learn to drive a stick shift. What do you guys think of the maxlife valvoline oils? That's what's going in since I already bought it. Also, what gear lube would you recommend to make the tranny last the longest? Redline oil? It's pricey but only a few quarts is needed. Thanks guys!

Welcome, the best way to find info here is to do a search, although it might take a while to find what your looking for.

Motor Oil

10w30 Mobile 1

Lucas Synthetic Oil Treatment

Gear Oil

Red Line 75-140 Syn

Royal Purple Syn

To reset the computer kill all of the juice for a full day.

That was the other thing, how do you make the EGR light go out? I assume it's just the reminder light not an actual malfuction.

Correct on the EGR light - comes on every 30k - means check EGR valve - I think there are a couple green connectors under the dash that you have to connect - can't remember - I converted to fuel injection, and I don't have my factory service manual (FSM) with me

Great car, safe all 'round, but drives VERY well - I went on a trip at 70-75 mph yesterday and it handled like a champ.

the Hitachi carb - prone to going with little warning - if it does go, put a Weber on it instead - better carb, common mod. to carbed soobs (so is converting to FI - but that is a lot more work)

one other thing you should consiter is the re-seal on the front of the engine - that involves replacing cam/crank seals and ALL oil pump seals - not too hard to do if T-belt is off - will stop most all oil leaks - I try to do mine when they start leaking (took 128k to do so) - keeps the valve tick away (the infamous Tick of Death TOD) - TOD is not fatal to the engine, but it can drive you insane

www.1stsubaruparts.com is used by many board members - stock most OEM parts (but does not have as much access to parts as a dealsership) - go OEM for ALL ignition components - if the plugs aren't NGK, they probably won't last too long

BTW - change your gear oil for the tranny - it will need it, also Lucas Synthetic oil treatment is not needed if you are running synthetic oil - know from expierence - be cautious about using any additives in general as some can cause undesireable effects and viscosity changes to the oil

STAY AWAY FROM FRAM FILTERS, OR ANYTHING ELSE FRAM FOR THAT MATTER - oil filter elements are known to disintegrate and kill engines

knock out all the maintenance now and youre good to go. keep oil in it and the bottom end will last over 300,000 miles. if you are used to junk rump roast domestics throw everythig you know about cars out the window and welcome to SUBARU

Quote "I always thought these things were junk, but.."

I sure run into that a lot. Funny how many folks don't know just how cool these little cars are!

We have two parts houses here in Podunk Oregon. A NAPA and a discount generic. The NAPA guys get it. They are enthusiastic and helpful. The discount guys look at me like I'm nuts when I say '85 Subaru and don't even try very hard to help. They give up half the time and say "don't know".

Guess who's getting most of my business?

Anyway, enjoy and good luck!! Hope you find parts guys that get it!

Pyro

I have an '86 GL sedan. Love the car. I bought it at 186,000 miles from a guy who didn't want to pay to have his broken T-belts replaced. While I did the T-belts, I went ahead and did the head gaskets as a cylinder had low compression. I had to replace the fuel pump last week (though I hear this is very rare). Pull your vac lines while engine is running and check for vac. Mine had a couple of clogged lines. If you need to replace lines, remember that many have accurate orifices in them. I don't know where to find the orifices. This thing runs like a champ and almost every component and system works fine

Thanks for all the tips people! I just changed the tranny oil today, I used 80W-90 I figure it's good enough although I had to use the cheap Coastal brand since they didn't have enough of any other brand in stock, and I didn't want to mix brands. Didn't notice any difference in driving but I guess that's a good thing since It drove perfectly before!

I'm going to wait till it warms up a little outside to do the cooling system, and that leaves me with NOTHING to do! This is the first used car I've ever gotten (#6 and counting) that really needs nothing done. Even the tires are brand new (although the guy must have been one of those people who looks at their tires and says "it looks a little low, I'll just add a bit of air" instead of using a gauge. They had 40+ psi in them! And that was when it was 35 degrees outside in the morning.

Hey folks! Just got my very first Subaru. '85 GL Wagon 4WD-DR. And so far I can't believe it! I always thought these things were junk but it's actually a cool little car. I paid $550 for mine and almost everything works on it. I just went through a mud trail behind my house that I've never gotten through with any other car.

Okay enough with the joy, I wanted to know if there's any routine maint. that I should do to protect my new baby? I just changed the plugs and all filters today (even that pcv filter!) Anyplace online have replacement parts? Autozone don't have much. I want new plug wires, cap & rotor etc.

Also, what's the average life expectancy of a EA82 motor? mines got 136k and counting. I just mean how long until a rebuild is gonna be knockin' ? And I'm just looking for any other subie tips you veterans might have to keep her healthy.

136k your car is just a baby.

Also get yourself a copy of how to keep your subaru alive forever, great book and you will be able to do all work on the subie yourself.

Find yourself a copy of the out of print "How To Keep Your Subaru Alive" by Owens (John Muir Idiot Auto Series). You can find them on Amazon, and they are a bit pricey but TOTALLY worth it. Using mine, it got an AWESOME tune up, and by troubleshooting the emissions, I increased my mileage from 19 to 28-30 mpg! And I don't know much about cars. You will save a bundle with that book and this message board.

As for engine life, I am at 261,500 and counting on the ORIGINAL engine. Only real repair was the Head gaskets -= changed at 200,000.

Tires were only rated for 35 psi, they had ZERO bulge on the bottom, that's what tipped me off to check the pressure. I don't know if it would have damaged them but they looked ready to burst. I'm going to check into that book too.

Found out today someone rigged the fuel pump all back-assward. They replaced it with some el-cheapo brand and spliced it in. (they ran a wire up through the bottom of the back seat along the rocker panel, through the firewall and hooked it to a post on the ignition coil of all places. The pump makes an awful clicking sound with the power turned on. Which brings me to my question, the stock harness is still there intact but I didn't get any power out of it. Where is the fuse at? There's a fuse marked "Fuel" on the fuse block but it's empty with no terminals inside. Is there a relay?

If I can get the harness connector to work I'll buy a OEM style pump and fix it right, $96 from NAPA, but otherwise I'll just leave it.

mine are max rated to 35...but I run them at 60.

I hope your kidding. That's just begging for a blowout. Espeasially if your driving habbits are as bad as mine: Petter Solberg Jr. in training:burnout:You might get away with 5 over the max rating, but not 25 over. Between 32 and 35 psi is the reccomended pressure for our Subies for best mileage and tread life.