Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is the RX really that fast?!!!

So, as some of you may know YellowSub got an 88 RX. It needs a clutch. It only shifts into gear with the motor off.. it's got just enough that if you catch it just right you can get into 2nd gear.. but it's not "drivable".. I was testing it out to make sure it was indeed the clutch.. Unless the speed-o is reading WRONG .. I got up to 55mph in FIRST gear.. shifted into 2nd and hit 70mph like it was nothing. It didn't feel that fast.. but I've never driven or ridden in an RX so I don't know what to expect for the feel of it. That little stock turbo PULLS!

More than likely the speedometer is on crack. As in, the drum that the end of the speedometer cable spins in is way too sensitive, moving the needle at amazing speed. Usually they break the other way around- gain a full 1000 rpm on the highway, and the speedo needle doesn't budge for a minute or so.

55 in first though... I know Subarus are pretty resistant to overrevving, but a speed like that would be breaking some engine parts. Not to mention you'd be revving so high, it'd be beyond the limit of the tach.

I had a dragging speedometer head in my Loyale- it would often peg the speedometer as soon as I started rolling, but usually bouncing around 55-70. It never did it constantly though... always bouncing up and down like mad. Pretty obvious it was a broken speedometer head.

WOAH!!!! Eli!! Its a EA82, its not your Legacy. You cant be doing 55mph in 1st gear bro.

Hey now... lets not get carried away.. the legacy only does 35 in first gear redlined. that's why i was like "wtf?" I was getting it up to about 5500 rpms speedo SAID 55mph.. then shifting into second and hitting "70"mph at like 4500-5000 rpms... So what's a more realistic speed that I was going? like 35-40 at shift and then 50-55 in 2nd?

I know that full boosting freeway ramps will get me to 80mph or so in the top of third. I could check red line in first and second for you but I'm driving the Turbo Legacy to work tomorrow. :-p

Gary

P.S. you could look up the gear ratios and do some math, if you like that sort of thing.

If you can only get into gear with the car turned off try tightening the clutch cable afew turns. If you can get it moving then the clutch probably isnt slipping.

During my clutch issues with the brat ive seen both extremes. Bad flywheel let the car only move 0.5 MPH because it slipped so bad... but I could get into any gear at any time.

Then I put it all back together with the cable too loose. Couldnt get into any gear unless I turned it off.

bushbasher is the speedo in km/h :-p

i was thinking the same thing... i can get those kinda #'s outa the legacy but my speedo is in km...

at the top of 2nd i can go 80 km/h...:D

check it out!

i have the rx owners manual aaaaaand if i read it right, the mx speed limits in each gear are:

1st - 15

2nd - 35

3rd - 50

4th - 70

5th - 70+ (go till ur engine blows :lol: )

but im not sure, im guessin people have gotten alittle more outta each bbut who knows, jus adding a bit o help

i'd check that clutch cable too. i just learned how to drive without a clutch cable and it sounds simliiar to what yo'ure talking about, very tricky to get into gear. if the clutch cable isn't working right you might only get into gear when the engine/trans mesh together perfectly, which is a tricky thing to do and takes a little practice. go over that clutch cable before you drop the trans/motor.