Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Ultimate Snorkel Thread......

TurboXT

Ok, I would like to put a snorkel on my Brat, but am not too sure of the design I want, what to make it out of, or how to hook it into the air cleaner cover (carbbed) or air box (if you have fuel injecton).

I thought it would be cool if you folks could post some pics of snorkels, or if you have any design ideas I would like to hear them!

Thanks

Rick

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That thing would get ripped off the first time I hit the trails with it.

i agree, trees are alot stronger than spfi rubber.... but there is one good piece in that pic that you can use.

the spfi rubber boot, and mpfi(they are hard plastic) fits right onto the carb throat, if you have a carb. then you can route the hose wherever you want, with a filter at the end... if the spfi boot slips off. take a file and file in a couple grooves, on the carb for the rubber to bite into when you clamp it.

remember, your subaru wont be able to go like a submarine, so sticking it 2 feet above the hood, is overkill.

but thats just me.

Sweet! That's the stuff right there! "trees are alot stronger than spfi rubber" < that's what Silicone RTV & Duct tape is for! :drunk: he he

I guess it depends on what kind of off roading you want to do that determines strength, type, design, etc.

Keep them coming!!!!

Rick

dood, what good is a snorkel on the roof when your computer, and scary wiring is under the hood??!?!?!

everyone please note: your computer is more sensetive to water than your intake.

don't you see the protective duct tape on the computer!?:rolleyes:

Just a small suggestion: use rigid pieces on any section that doesn't need to have a bend in it. If you can use rigid pieces on anything that does bend, so much the better.

The reasoning behind this is that under pressure from water, any flexible part may collapse somewhat. Depending on the depth of the water and location of the flex, this could allow water into the intake, typically at joins. Even using RTV or similar as a sealant isn't a guarantee - if it pulls up or tears, you'll suck in H2O. By eliminating flex points, this is less likely to happen.

Just my $0.02 from experience with (thankfully) someone else's homebrew snorkel.

Just a small suggestion: use rigid pieces on any section that doesn't need to have a bend in it. If you can use rigid pieces on anything that does bend, so much the better.

The reasoning behind this is that under pressure from water, any flexible part may collapse somewhat. Depending on the depth of the water and location of the flex, this could allow water into the intake, typically at joins. Even using RTV or similar as a sealant isn't a guarantee - if it pulls up or tears, you'll suck in H2O. By eliminating flex points, this is less likely to happen.

Just my $0.02 from experience with (thankfully) someone else's homebrew snorkel.

+1....use PVC!

• Like 1

here's a pic of QMan's hatch with his snorkel, looks like PVC.

5s_006a-med.JPG

I'm with archemitis on the intake, get a cone filter way up into the spare tire well, it might get wet, but you're not going to suck any quantity of water. and PROTECT YOUR ELECTRONICS, I got a tube of RTV silicone sealer and will be going over my vital electronic connections, to keep them from shorting.

That maybe the ticket, to go into the spare tire area...but it just doesn't look as cool as an external snorkel, and I think it would suck slightly cooler air from the roof line as compared to the engine compartment.

I like Q man's snorkel, that looks like the design I want to go with.

Now, does it matter what diameter the pipe diameter I use?

BTW, that's a sweet 2.7 ER27 hatch man!!!! That's freakin' awesome!!

Thanks,

Rick

Now, does it matter what diameter the pipe diameter I use?

yea, the smaller, the more restrictive. I wouldn't go any smaller than the stock intake pipe, maybe even a bit bigger since it's such a long distance.

And if you're that concerned about engine heat, put some spacers under the hood hinges, so that some air can flow through that area. Think cowl induction