Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do 4WD EA82s do in snow autocross?

Syonyk

It's getting to be winter soon, which means snow autocross!

I'm thinking an EA82 wagon would be halfway competitive at one of these, at least against 2WD cars. How well does the ability to put all the power to the ground compensate for the lack of power in the first place?

-=Russ=-

It's getting to be winter soon, which means snow autocross!

I'm thinking an EA82 wagon would be halfway competitive at one of these, at least against 2WD cars. How well does the ability to put all the power to the ground compensate for the lack of power in the first place?

-=Russ=-

i don't really know for sure. but i'd say the lack of power won't really be an issue so much because you can spin all four wheels in the snow anyway with these cars if you want to. more power won't get you any more traction. so i say go for it! i think rust will be your biggest problem. don't let all that snow and ice sit there stuck in the wheel wells and all that.

Well, since winter driving here is basically one big snow autocross, I would think a soobie would do pretty well. Power is not an issue if it's icy. I could usually peel out all four through third gear on ice with a stock engine. Compared to other cars I've driven, soobies handle remarkably well on snow and ice.

Are you allowed to use studded tires? If so, that's the SINGLE most important thing you can get for your car.

Well, since winter driving here is basically one big snow autocross, I would think a soobie would do pretty well. Power is not an issue if it's icy. I could usually peel out all four through third gear on ice with a stock engine. Compared to other cars I've driven, soobies handle remarkably well on snow and ice.

Are you allowed to use studded tires? If so, that's the SINGLE most important thing you can get for your car.

I love it when the friction with the ground reduces to the point when my suby has enough power to spin all four wheels with studded tires on. Then I actually outperform all the V-8 SUV's with four times my horsepower, but cheaper tires.... >:) The deepest snow I've ever driven in was 19" of powder. When there's an inch or two of packed ice/slush/snow, that's when the subaru really excells though.

-=Russ=-

Your wagon will do fine, Flomaster8?GL has been racing one in the Rally X (mostly mud) for years now.

The question is. . . Will you the driver, being inexperienced, be able to put the power down and make it perform?

Round these parts we have ice racing (on the lakes). Watch the classes to see who you will race against, then you can decide if you will be competitive. MIRA has FWD, RWD, and 4/AWD classes, further divided into studded and non-studded.

If it's a racing organization worth it's road salt, they will have a similar arrangement to this or regular ol SCCA autocross.

I guess what I'm saying is to check rule books and last years' results as see what ya think!