Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru's Rock!!!

FirstSubaruGLwagon

Ok So the Huricane washed out the roads by the lake in my Neighborhood and they were blocked off, so i had to go down and take the dirt path around the lake, well it was very messy! I felt kinda safe sence I had a big dodge 4x4 ram following me.. Well anyway,I get to this one spot where its just black, deep, muck! So I go for it,,, my subee sinks down deep! I can feel the motor strain, but it keeps going, water is comming in the door, over the hood, but I make it through! yeah!

Well here's the funny part,,, The guy, with the big Dodge ram,, well he gets afraid to follow me and backs up and truns around! :lol: (must have really looks bad from the back):lol:

well I get near the end of the path and there's a tree down across the road.

I tried to pull it out of the way but the strap broke. Not to be defeted, I pull out my "rambo" knife and start hacking away. well after about 20minuts I manage to hack my way through a 7" inch trunk . then i could move the tree.

well it wasn't a short cut, but it was darn fun!:D

My little subee has no lift, and it still ROCKs!:headbang:

Had to drain the tool box:rolleyes:

Many a time have I seen water come over the hood. Subarus can swim. I've swam mine while it was stock. Heres a picture of my friend swiming his stock suby. I swam mine so hard that the carb was hydrolocked and the distributer had water in it, but it still ran. Plus I had to go through the water crossing again to get back through. Still ran, just really crappy.

8644roachy_004-med.jpg

yah Ive "swam" my 93 impreza a few times with water goin over the hood one time on a "no service" gravel road in South Dakota I hit the water to fast and hydroplaned into some tall grass on the side was quite fun but was afraid to keep driving forward in the tall grass (tall grass with a foot of water in it) didnt think i could do it so I put it in reverse and when I got back on the gravel the grass ripped my bumper off :(

I too am a veteran of the swimming stock subie. I went through swamps, and all sorts of gnarly stuff, but my '85 had some vulnerable elctrical connections, and didn't like it too deep. I always found that the thing would cough and loose power before loosing traction.

here's shortly after it happened:

3242IMG_0663-med.jpg

and the next day:

3242PICT0063-med.JPG

beleive it or not....it's a black car :headbang:

I too am a veteran of the swimming stock subie. I went through swamps, and all sorts of gnarly stuff, but my '85 had some vulnerable elctrical connections, and didn't like it too deep. I always found that the thing would cough and loose power before loosing traction.

here's shortly after it happened:

3242IMG_0663-med.jpg

and the next day:

3242PICT0063-med.JPG

beleive it or not....it's a black car :headbang:

thats a lovely shade of "fertelizer mud" didnt know that was a color option for that year;) ( looks like there may be some cow dung in the mix) :lol:

cant say that ive been in mess that deep, but have rocked through mud and streams. ive had the impreza covered top to bottom in thick mud, havent got the chance to try it in the rx yet though.

come to think of it though, i have been close with the impreza, i was coming home from stpr last year and stopped by a ghost town called centralia in pa. i took the rs around some trails that used to be neighborhood streets that were over grown and rutted, some were flooded. but nothing like the stuff you guys have done.

Here's pics of the brat swimming:

3967Muddin_IV.JPG

That was after a few days of letting it sit and some had evaporated. I had gone through this puddle a few days earlier, and the water was over the headlights.

Here's the deepest part, going th other way:

3967Muddin_III.JPG

3967Muddin_I.JPG

come to think of it though, i have been close with the impreza, i was coming home from stpr last year and stopped by a ghost town called centralia in pa.

Is that the same centralia that was like on top of a burning coal mine?? I read that in a book somewhere but never though it was true. The book said that the town was still emitting smoke from the fires.

Is that the same centralia that was like on top of a burning coal mine?? I read that in a book somewhere but never though it was true. The book said that the town was still emitting smoke from the fires.

yup, the coal mine caught fire in the 60's when someone was burning trash in an unused open pit mine. turns out that it still had coal in it and they didnt completely seal off the mine entrances.

and yes, there is steam rising from the ground where its still cooking. and the whole place smells like misquite smoked with a chaser of sulfur, or maybe its the other way around...

that place was freaking sweet though, and my car smelled like a bbq for like two months:drunk: ....

on that note, i want to try to set up a suby meet there some time. it would be freaking awsome and we could have fun and go offroading.

I have a friend that lives in Parumph and I've NEVER EVER SEEN NAVADA that WET!!!!:slobber: Is that a "wash" you are driving in?

Yeah its an old stream bed next close to a dried up lake. At one point there was LOTS of water here a LONG time ago. But yeah this thing only gets wet twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring and then dry after that. The pics were taken this february or so.

as much fun as it looks to take a subie for a swim.i just wouldn't want to have to deal with the aftermath if my engine happens to take in any water or even worse.ecm getting fried or something.

i think i'll just go with light trails an mud for now.(when ever i get a chance to)

those MAZDA rims are sweet but what kinda rims do you have on the wagon in the older pics? and Is that a dual headlight conversion or did it come that way???:confused:

The dual headlights came that way. Someone had hit a deer and rebuilt the front end from an older car.

Those wheels on the old one are off a nissan pup. They had a different back spacing and required some "massaging" with a BFH. :) The Mazda ones fit better, only had to trim the front a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got some pics back of the path around the lake.

These pics are from about a week later (2nd time though:grin: ). most of the water is gone.

Can you imagine all that being covered in water!

I still am amazed the subee made it though without a hitch!:eek:

that day i became real impressed with subaru products;)

going in

12279going.jpg

comming out

12279coming.jpg

Sorry I didn't take a picture in the middle of it , but , there's no way i was going to stop or take my hads off the steering wheel:lol:

We used to live near a causeway that you had to pass through to get to ANYWHERE. It was flooding real bad and I was driving the Sooby. I drove in and straight away, it conked out (must have sucked in water.) But through some emergency key-in-ignition-turning and a lot of chugging-but-not-starting I finally got it out before it washed away. It still runs perfectly and that just shows what good performance these Soobys have.:headbang: