Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone Else's Throttle Touchy??

My 97 OBW has a very sensitive throttle while in 1st and 2nd gear. That is, at speeds in those gears that are on the low end (~1-2k). This is a manual transmission. Imagine you're in 1st gear and you take your foot off the gas...eventually, you'll be going about 5 MPH and doing about 800 on the tach. Now at this point, try to increase the speed. You have to have a VERY soft foot to increase speed without the JERK JOLT JERK phenomenon.

Now, I feel that this is probably normal because I've driven many other cars with this same thing. But, is it in fact normal? Anyone know what causes it or if there is a fix? It's a real bother driving in traffic unless you're veeeeery good with the gas pedal.

Thanks,

Reid

It's called driveline lash and my 01 Legacy GT has it pretty bad too. I still have about 3,000 miles left on the power train warantee and I'm planning on calling the dealer to see if it is convered.

It's likely worn or bad motor/tranny mounts. My clutch was replaced twice under warantee and I'm afraid they missed something. And yes, the current clutch chatter, stinky clutch fix is a good one.

Jack

My 97 OBW has a very sensitive throttle while in 1st and 2nd gear. That is, at speeds in those gears that are on the low end (~1-2k). This is a manual transmission. Imagine you're in 1st gear and you take your foot off the gas...eventually, you'll be going about 5 MPH and doing about 800 on the tach. Now at this point, try to increase the speed. You have to have a VERY soft foot to increase speed without the JERK JOLT JERK phenomenon.

Now, I feel that this is probably normal because I've driven many other cars with this same thing. But, is it in fact normal? Anyone know what causes it or if there is a fix? It's a real bother driving in traffic unless you're veeeeery good with the gas pedal.

Thanks,

Reid

Seems to me the computer spools up the engine quick at low speed. I have the same thing in a 99 5spd GT. Clutch is new and so ar all mounts. I am not sure it has anything to do with drive line lash?? Its very hard to make a small change or smooth start with the manual tranny. With an automatic it is similar but you dont have the user coordination of the throttle and clutch to balance.

I believe it is typical of the Subie.

There was a recent thread about this except his case seemed much more violent than this. I have a 01 Legacy L that does the same thing...your description describes my car much better than the other thread. I have somewhat mastered the light foot approach, but sometimes that just doesn't work depending on traffic, ect...

I am going to be trying a STi transmission mount and a STi Pitch Rod Stopper and see where that leaves me. Next step will be Group N motor mounts, but not in the near future.

Kevin

I wonder if this is the same problem as called 'hesitation' by many owners?

Do a search on this board for the word 'hesitation', and you'll find lots of suggestions.

Many posters have suggested resetting the ECU, to cure hesitation.

For myself (2002 Forester), I find that hesitation is most noticeable if I start the engine and then drive off immediately. However if I start the engine, wait about 10-seconds and then drive off, then there is no hesitation.

I read the topics regarding "hesitation", but it seems to be the opposite problem. The "hesitation" they're referring to is a lag between pickup and pressing the gas. I'm talking about INSTANT pickup as soon as you breathe on the gas.

I agree with Kevin...the light foot approach works well. Just hard to do sometimes in traffic.

Reid

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this really old thread I started to provide some closure.

I've been driving this car for a couple of years now and I've always dealt with the touchy throttle. I learned to deal with it, especially in traffic where I'm constantly driving at low speed in 1st gear.

Took my car to the dealer for a 120k service and they recommended a "Top Engine Clean". Talking to some of the techs, they told me this is basically nothing more than a bottle of Seafom in the intake for $129.95. I decided I'd do it myself.

Based on the information in these threads...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65012&highlight=seafoam+intake

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42623&highlight=seafoam

...I put a half a can of Seafoam in my PCV valve today with the engine at idle. After it had all gotten sucked in, I turned off the engine and waited about 10 minutes. Got back in, started it up, smoke screened the neighborhood and went for a drive.

All the throttle touchyness is gone! It idles and accelerates more consistently with no stumbles, and definitely no sensitivity in the throttle. If you're having this problem, I'd at least give this a shot. A bottle of Seafoam is only like 6 bucks and it takes no more than 20 minutes to do. Plus it's fun to have a smoke system on your car for those first 5 minutes of driving. BTW, my cark has now 125k on it and runs better than it ever has (in the 30k I've owned it....knock wood.)

Reid

Cool! I had this touchiness too in '00obw. (Although it is an AT, you had to get on it slow or it would jump kind of). With engine off, I held the throttle wide open and sprayed valvoline throttle body cleaner all over the place up in there and cleaned the butterfly real good.

Then held throttle at about 1/4 and fired it up. After it was done coughing and sputtering I let it return to idle. (Yes, watch out for smokescreen - suggest not doing this in the garage). Then I got up there and gave 1/4 second shots of the valvoline in the intake up where the IACV intake is. It would sputter again for a second. Did that about 12 times. Did seem to help quite a bit and the idle rpm doesn't seem to shift around as much anymore.

throttlebutterfly1.jpg

My '99 Outback automatic also had the touchy throttle. It went away after I replaced the engine with a rebuilt (siezed camshaft). I think that Phugoid and porcupine73 have found cheaper solutions. :lol:

I did have to adjust the throttle cable when I re-installed the intake. I think that may have more to do with the fix than anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

My fix turned out to be the front 02 sensor. Here is my review from a diff thread: I have a 2001 Forester L with 85k miles on it. I have been chasing an intermittent hesitation under load problem for the past year. Only occurred when engine was warm. The front 02 sensor had been replaced once at 40k miles. I suspected it again this time, but since the only codes thrown had been cyl's 2&4 misfire ( p0302 & p0304) I assumed it must be ignition related. So I replaced plugs and wires 8 months ago...no effect. Did the dollar bill test over exhaust pipe, it was fine. Misted the coil, no sparks. I mentally sort of ruled out the fuel filter since it only happened when the engine was warm. Finally, a week ago while cruising on hwy at 65 mph, I felt the hesitation again (I wasn't even accelerating this time) and a new code was thrown....p0172. AutoZone read it for me, I described the symptoms to the guy and asked if he thought it might be the front 02 sensor. He said, "absolutely." So I decided to replace it next. Cost me $100.75 incl tax for the oem part# 22791aa00a from Cityside Subaru. I asked the Parts guy there if his experience was that this model engine needed a new front 02 sensor every 40k miles. He said, "no, these sensors are good for 100k miles." Well, bullsnot on that. I replaced the new front 02 sensor in 1 hour reaching from the top over the passenger side of the engine using an adjustable wrench. Be sure to use the thread lube so you can get it out easily next time.....after another 40k miles. I took out the air channel assembly first for better access. That seems to be the fix. No further hesitation since. Car runs like new.

• 3 years later...

My '03 Impreza 5sp does the same thing and it's driving me ape***************. I had the motor mounts checked,(they're ok), and did the combustion chamber cleaning thing too.

No matter what speed, if you lift off the gas even a little bit, you feel the car "jerk", before it slows down. Same when you apply a bit of throttle...it's impossible to be smooth.

It didn't always do it...it started at around 120K kms...now I'm at 185K kms.

I'm hoping it's not something inside the tranny.

I had two subies with this. On the first one a 91 legacy AT it was touchy in several ways. First the cable of the gas pedal or throttle itself was bit sticky so i had to apply bit more pressure than what would be necessary. So i pressed a bit and did not move pressed bit more, cable got unstock and lift-off. Fixed it by re-greasing the cable (handyoil + graphite) and cleaning the throttle body valve. The second was after driving releasing the pedal would result in some direct shock of slowing down (worn engine mount or other things).

The second car a 99 impreza has it when running on gazoline and switching to propane when cold. Usually depress the clutch and increase rpms a bit and then it is over as soon it is a bit warm. Since i started driving on propane it runs a bit less on gazoline. I guess valves have to be adjusted a bit.

• 4 years later...

Thanks,

Reid

FWIW, I have the same problem on my new 2015 Legacy (with the CVT).  I estimate the accel. travel to move the car from stop to highway speeds is about 1/4".  In other words, the slightest touch of the accelerator lurches the car ahead.  I have to think throttle response (how far you have to press the accel. down) is fairly standardized in the industry (Prius and some hybrids excepted).  With that, I can't imagine why Subaru designed an accelerator that is so insanely sensitive to the slightest touch.  'Course, for that matter, I don't know why the Legacy CVT "shifts" or causes engine deceleration in the lower "range".  Cruising around 1,000 rpm, trying to maintain a gentle, steady speed, my CVT hunts from low to the next highest "range" and there is some accel. and decel as it "shifts".  When the CVT decelerates the car it is very easy to overcompensate when pressing on the accelerator.  This results in what could be described as "drive train slop" or "surging".  I won't be keeping this car long.  Too bad, because other than the throttle and CVT it is the perfect car for me (styling, comfort, etc.).

Edited by Papanick