Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt?

Suggested is indeed 60K. However, they usually last much, much longer than that. If you can handle the inconvenience of the breakdown you can wait until it breaks. Usually better to plan for a repair than a break down. These are not interference engines so nothing will happen to the engine if the belt breaks.

If you plan to replace the belts before they break you should also consider replacing the waterpump, oil pump seals, cam seals(2) and maybe even the front main seal. These are all under the belt and will probably amount to another $100.00 in parts alone.

Actually, I'm certain the recommended interval is 55,000 miles -- but that's close enough. Can't remember what the source is, either the Sub owner's manual or a Haynes.

I was assuming 60K, too. But last time mine broke, it was exactly 55600 miles since the previous one (at a Subaru dealership before I got the car, so parts shouldn't have been suspect). I was already to get ticked off when I discovered I had exceeded the recommended interval :-\

-- Mark

Yea, but if they break, they'll break when you've got a hot date and fancy reservations somewhere.

*ponders*

Erm... does that actually happen to old gen owners (the hot date and reservations thing)?

Anyway, keep a spare set in the back of the car.

Another thing that some people suggest is not reinstalling most of the timing belt covers. There's a chunk that's otherwise open to the rear without them, but if you leave the rest of them off, you can change the belts in 10-15 minutes on the side of the road. It also allows the belts to throw off any oil/coolant that leaks in, instead of just flinging it around back onto itsself. There doesn't seem to be any major problems with road stuff hitting the belts, and you can then replace a belt very easily and quickly. Plus, inspecting them becomes trivial.

-=Russ=-

since we're on the subject of timing belt replacement what's the longest anyone has seen a belt go before being replaced. My 86 Turbo GL-10 has 110K on it and i'm assuming it's been replaced but not for sure so I'm just wondering if it's gonna go before long or maybe it will last another 40K.

since we're on the subject of timing belt replacement what's the longest anyone has seen a belt go before being replaced. My 86 Turbo GL-10 has 110K on it and i'm assuming it's been replaced but not for sure so I'm just wondering if it's gonna go before long or maybe it will last another 40K.

If you live somewhere that doesn't get really cold or have much dust, the belts should last quite some time.

I think they lasted about 80k on my mom's old wagon, but I'm not positive.

First post here.

I am a total newby to Subaru so I will be on the steep side of the learning curve.

I have a 1985 wagon with non-operable engine, broken timing belt which led to a broken distributor and purhaps a broken valve, or so the mechanic of the PO said. Now I am having my doubts as I learn that it is a non-interference engine. Anyway, got it for $5.00, looking for a replacement engine.

I'm 25 miles away from egladman, Lander Wyoming.

Yeah, sounds like BS to me. Unless the broken distributor and valve are unrelated to the timing belt and just happen to be broken too... possible but unlikely. Unless maybe the disty broke and jammed the right camshaft, which then stripped the timing belt? Seems a little far fetched.

I would do a timing belt replacement. When you've got it apart, you can check to see that the disty turns nicely and verify that it is only the timing belt. If it is, put it back together and start it up. If more really is broken, you haven't invested much time yet.

Zeke