Ultimate Subaru Message Board

250miles... 11 gallons...

Yeah something isn't quit right there. My 83 with an automatic and a single barrel carter carb gets 27mpg on the highway going 70-75 the entire time. Thats about 4000rpms. Does your car have an O2 sensor? If so maybe its time to replace it. My car was getting crap for milage until i did this.

Sometimes, it's just a bad carb or too rich a mixture. I replaced the single barrel carter-weber carb on my son's '82 Brat when if got 20 mpg on the highway with a 32/36 weber. Gas mileage now is 27 to 29 on the highway.

Yeah something isn't quit right there. My 83 with an automatic and a single barrel carter carb gets 27mpg on the highway going 70-75 the entire time. Thats about 4000rpms. Does your car have an O2 sensor? If so maybe its time to replace it. My car was getting crap for milage until i did this.

the car runs great, didn't skip a beat the entire trip. so i don't know how the carb could be the problem. too rich could be a problem and it does have and oxygen sensor so that too cold be a problem. the car sat for a good 5 or more years before we got it, it may have never been changed.

Best I've ever done in my T wagon was about 23mpg, so don't feel too bad.

geez, i've got 28-30 out of mine before, with a 4 speed!

Any problems with the way your engine is running will cause poor mileage, so check ignition components, ignition advance, thermostat, choke operation, etc.

What colour are you spark plugs when you take them out?

Sweet Jesus, your guys's Subarus are hogs! My '85 DL 5-speed gets about 35 to 40 MPG on highway trips, depending on how fast I'm going. And I've gotten about 47 mpg before on flat highway (I-5 in the Sacramento valley) going about 60 mph. Maybe its just the EA81's that are hogs...

My son's Brat was running just fine too; just crappy mileage. When qman tried to adjust the carter-weber mixture nothing changed no matter where he put the mixture screw. So we replaced the carb; better power and gas mileage with the 32/36.

the car runs great, didn't skip a beat the entire trip. so i don't know how the carb could be the problem. too rich could be a problem and it does have and oxygen sensor so that too cold be a problem. the car sat for a good 5 or more years before we got it, it may have never been changed.

alright. if its an ea82 i don't care. if its 2wd i don't care. im talking about an 82 wagon with my ea81 and a weber carter carb duel range 4sp tranny. a front wheeld dive only will alwasy get better. and i really don't see how an ea81 can get up to 4mpg.. i just dont see it. 21 is just not right for that car. let me know how your checking your milage.. because i have had friends that were doing it all wrong.

what is your tire pressure like? my parents insisted on my having lower tire pressure to get more traction, but i pumped the tired to their max for a tank, and i get 26-28 mpgs in my rx hatch now (and thats average of a little highway driving, and mostly city driving).

40lbs on all 4 tires.