Ultimate Subaru Message Board

250miles... 11 gallons...

i usally get about 25 or so with a heavy lead foot in my ea-81 4 speed.

well in my 84 gl i got about that much in the city.. and 28 on the highway. the 82 has a shorter 4th gear. 75mph im doing almost 4k or more. :cool:

My GL-10 Turbo wagon gets 18mpg no matter how I drive it. Lead foot or light foot. Highway or city. Same. But, I think that it's getting better mileage now. Because I am at 150miles on one tank, thats "half" full. I ran a bottle of Techron through it in the last tank, with 89 octane.

I believe a bottle of techron every 5 tanks is a good thing.

so i got a new 02 sensor... drove a whole tank of gas through it and i got 20.4mpg:banghead: my 84 with its rebuilt hitachi got 27... :(

im not sure what to do about it. is this normal for the carter/weber carb. my dad is rebuilding a spare one we have... possibly that could help. honestly if i cant get my mpg up im about to get my vw back over here. at least on a bad day it gets 30mpg. I like driving the sub but im not sure why a 1.8l engine is getting the same milage as my dads f-150 ( on a real real good day ) its retarded

• 4 weeks later...

well another gas milage update. The last two or 3 tanks have been the same. 20.5mpg. I went to adjust that small screw in the front of my carter/weber carb. it took around 10 turns to close it all the way. i backed it out to about 4.5 turns and it runs just the same.. that didn't help at all. still got 20mpg.. that included a few hours of playing in the mud and such.

This is still making me a tad upset. my dad has rebuilt a spair carter/weber carb but im hesitent to put it on the car. Im considering a hitachi carb, hoping it will be a simple swap, getting the maifold and the carb at the scrap yard. I rebuilt my hitachi on my past 84 wagon and it ran like a top. got 27mpg on the freeway. A properly working hitachi works great.... i may do that to avoid the obcene prices of the weber 32/36 dgv carbs.

. A properly working hitachi works great.... i may do that to avoid the obcene prices of the weber 32/36 dgv carbs.

Or you can convert to tb/efi and not worry about what stupid little channel has that chunk of varnish in it.

WOW! 47 MPG in an old Subaru. ...and to think I've been drooling over those high tech Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Diesel Injected cars that get 45-48 (but remember diesel is costing as much as $.70 a gallon more than 85 octane gasoline). I should save my money and just buy your Subaru! ;) (obligatory <wink> for the sarcastically challenged).

Tracy

Sweet Jesus, your guys's Subarus are hogs! My '85 DL 5-speed gets about 35 to 40 MPG on highway trips, depending on how fast I'm going. And I've gotten about 47 mpg before on flat highway (I-5 in the Sacramento valley) going about 60 mph. Maybe its just the EA81's that are hogs...

WOW! 47 MPG in an old Subaru. ...and to think I've been drooling over those high tech Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Diesel Injected cars that get 45-48 (but remember diesel is costing as much as $.70 a gallon more than 85 octane gasoline). I should save my money and just buy your Subaru! ;) (obligatory <wink> for the sarcastically challenged).

Tracy

It seem someone isn't calculating milage correctly... thats seriosly impossible. ive seen 37.5mpg in my gas vw and that took alot of drafting to acheve.

And i hade a buddy of mine get slightly over 60mpg in his slightly modified jetta TDI.:brow: its not impossible an oold vw rabbit diesel could do 45mpg.

now what did that dude say about varnish in a channel on a hitachi carb... im confused.. mine worked great after a rebuild.

Since you've got an O2 sensor in the car, you can use it to check the carb manually to see if it's running too rich. All you need to do is to run a jumper into the interior of your car and connect to the positive lead of a voltmeter. Connect the negative to a good ground. When the engine is running, you should read 0.47 volts. Higher means too rich, lower means too lean. Check the reading at various speeds and RPMs.

I used this method to set up the jets on my 32/36, and it works great.

now what did that dude say about varnish in a channel on a hitachi carb... im confused.. mine worked great after a rebuild.

the car sat for a good 5 or more years before we got it, it may have never been changed.

I'm sorry, but I thought all those wires, sensors and solinoids on the carb were used to optimize fuel consumption? One set of those wires is used to lean-out the fuel mix?

Did you or your dad put new everything from the rebuild kit or did you just take it apart, blast it off with carb cleaner, and put it back together?

It seem someone isn't calculating milage correctly... thats seriosly impossible. ive seen 37.5mpg in my gas vw and that took alot of drafting to acheve.

And i hade a buddy of mine get slightly over 60mpg in his slightly modified jetta TDI.:brow: its not impossible an oold vw rabbit diesel could do 45mpg.

Are we all using US gallons here, are are some people using imperial gallons? I've run into that before when talking about mpg. An imperial gallon is 1.2 US gallons.

I've gotten 36mpg highest ever in my '82 GL. That was on a 160 mile one way highway trip that ended up 3,000 feet lower elevation than it started. 27-32 is more normal for my highway mileage in the '89 GL.

Even if the old suby could get the same mileage as the jetta TDI, the performance is sort of lacking -- after driving a TDI on a road trip for a few days, I got back into my GL, and wondered why it could barely get out of it's own way.... turns out nothing was wrong with the car, just my expectations. Something to do with the not having 180 ft lbs of torque at 1800rpm. Too bad the TDI's have just lousy ground clearance, and are rather expensive to maintain.

I'm sorry, but I thought all those wires, sensors and solinoids on the carb were used to optimize fuel consumption? One set of those wires is used to lean-out the fuel mix?

Did you or your dad put new everything from the rebuild kit or did you just take it apart, blast it off with carb cleaner, and put it back together?

I... yes I rebuilt my old hitachi carb and it worked great, replaced all the little things that came with the kit. it responed great when it warmed up, didn't hesitate like it used to. thats when i acheved my claimed 27mpg with is totaly understandable, as the motor does have to work hard to pull this heavy little car.

there is really no reason that this car shold be getting 20mpg. heck my dads 69 vw bus when it was on the road got 28 on the highway... with a little 1700cc air cooled engine.. and one tiny little weber carb/ single barrel 28mm or 32mm i forgot. im just confuesd on what makes it soo hard for this little car to get 30mpg, possibly this ea81 is a real dog.. as most with ea82 motorrs are getting 30+ mpg ( stock rigs )

if i can get it to 25+ mpg im happy

BTW who has a properly tuned weber dgv carb on a stock ea81 ride.. ide like to hear what kinda milage they get.

i'll keep you updated on my progress.

• 3 months later...
let me know how your checking your milage.. because i have had friends that were doing it all wrong.

Well, fill us in. How are you doing it? I just fill up, reset the trip odometer,

and wait for my next fill up. Then I use the amount it took to fill it back up

to figure the mileage. Is that right?

PeterD,

I just reread through all the posts in this thread and caught something I missed before. You turned the idle adjustment screw in 10 turns and back out 4 1/2. That's still too rich on the idle circuit. To adjust it, do this:

Turn the screw all the way in, and then back it out about 1 1/2 to 2 turns. Start the car and warm up the motor. With the motor warmed up and the choke off, turn the screw out 1/8 turn at a time, listening to the engine. Engine speed should increase initially. When turning the screw out no longer increases engine speed, turn it back in 1/8 turn, and that should be your idle mixture.

anything above 20mpg is good. I got 21mpg in my subaru last weekend going up to the farm, 55 the whole way, in 3rd the whole way(didnt need as much gas to keep going as in 4th...). thats with 31" tires

when I first got my car, I was averaging about 12-14 mpg, I then rebuilt my hitachi carb. honestly after working on my dads nissan with a 32/36 I'm tempted to steel his weber.