Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so the bad thing about edis ignition is...

the car keeps running even with the drivers side timing belt broken..

you know the one that normally drives the distributor if i used one..

oh and also that silly oil pump thingy grrrrr

and since i had not gotten around to hooking up the oil psi gauge. i limped home at just a smidge above idle for about a block or two with 0 oil psi

motor never got warm either it was just a quick milk run to the mini mart

so i am hope when i get the money for new belts

it will be ok

i hope

now i gotta drive the wife chrylser lebaron gtc convertible to work now

the dam thing feels sluggish and heavy compared to the rx even with the big v6 in it <sigh>

i guess.. there is a drawback to a do it yourself distributorless ignition system..

here is an awesome deal on a belt kit, i called napa and they want $160.00 for this kit, here it is $75.00 shipped.

i ordered one paied on wednesday night and had the kit at my door on friday afternoon.

awesome deal, i bought two kits just in case...

define kit?? just belts ? or the idler's as well

prolly be a while before i can fork up 75 had to use money from my house payment account to keep the toilet from going thru the floor .. plus the rx broke ect ect ect on my next check after i replace the mortgage money i might have enough for a candy bar lol

dude that's crazy shat, runs with the tbelt broke!!!!! that's funny in a way.

HEY - GET SOMEONE TO SEND YOU USED TIMING BELTS!!!!! someone has to have some lying around. they're so easy to replace and no interference, who cares? is this an ER27 or EA82? I'll send you an old ER27 belt if that's what you need. let me know, i can mail it monday, i'll eat the shipping charge. if noone else wants to cough one up i'll even pull the belt off my EA82T and mail it to you....but it's kind of my "back up", i keep one set of pulley's/belt in the trunk at all times...particularly on road trips. so i'd rather keep that one, but i got plenty of XT6 belts and i'll give this one up if you need it and noone else offers. surely someone has as many EA82 belts lying around as i have XT6 belts.

email or PM your address....or PM over at http://www.xt6.net, i'm there more often. i'm working nights shifts the next 4 nights, so i'll be on the internet every night the next four nights.

i drove less than two miles earlier this year (i could measure the actual distance because i know where i left the house from and where i finally pulled over) without tightening my cam cap bolts (the part that holds the cam o-ring) on my XT6. oil leaked like a mofo, just poured out and i never noticed it. funny thing - the HLA's never started tapping. i was surprised that running out of oil the HLA's wouldn't start tapping...guess it takes them a tad longer than a mile or two to start with no oil? after i tightened those bolts and fixed the leak it started knocking horribly in less than 10 miles and i found one of my piston pin clips...those "G" shaped things in the oil pan when i started taking the engine apart (after i pulled it). when i turn the crank all seems fine but one pistons is out of whack...doesn't travel the full motion...i have the heads off.

dude that's crazy shat, runs with the tbelt broke!!!!! that's funny in a way.

HEY - GET SOMEONE TO SEND YOU USED TIMING BELTS!!!!! someone has to have some lying around. ...

Oddcomp, I have a set of belts that I pulled off or a new-to-me XT; no history of how many miles they had, so I put new ones on while resealing the oil pump. Yours if you want them... assuming better half didn't find and chuck them.

I wounder if there is a way to use CAM sensors instead of just 1 crank so this doesnt happen?

I would think that an oil pressure switch would be a better idea, as it really isn't the cam movement that you want but rather the presence of oil pressure. Oil pressure switch would be easier to implement (simpler) than a cam sensor.

I have put some thought to just this scenario for my own future edis conversion. It would be extremely easy to make a coil cut circuit in the event the drivers cam stopped working. It seems like a prudent idea.

If you need used belts, I can also overnight you a set from Ohio.

Autozone here carries a Gatorback (Goodyear) kit (tensioners, idler, belts) - for about $98.00. Not as cheap as the eBay specials, but they are a reputable company at least. I was warned against even trying the "Duralast" branded belts by the counter person, which I would not put on my car anyway I don't think. Kelly, Goodyear, etc; these are some brands I trust when it comes to rubber, and of course, oem! :)

haha thanks one and all for the used belt offer's but with my long nightime drive with no cell phone on a fairly empty road at night i am kinda paranoid about re-using t belts off another motor

plus i hate not knowing what to expect

as far as a failsafe thing goes .. well me getting off my lazy rump roast to hook up my oil psi gauge would have been a good start grrr

as far as future failsafe goes i was thinking about the northwet oil psi switch but one step further

see if i can get a bit of code changed in the megasquirt software that will accept a signal from a hobbs type pressure switch so anything blow say 1-2 psi for more than 5-10 seconds will kill the injection until restart

oh and yes it did have a tap/tick but it sounded more like the standard low oil psi lash adjuster sound

it got me about half a block before the belt blew so it at least had the bearings oiled up by then and i run straight 30 plus marvel oil so i am hoping the fact the motor stayed pretty cold and my straight viscosity oil and my good looks

and creeping home was enough to deter any bearing damage

if not then.. well somehow i get to dig up the money to build a motor sooner than i wanted to

This is why my future EDIS system will have the crank trigger from the drivers cam instead of the actual crank....and why right now I still use the disty with the MS....

Afterall...somehow majically the MS can make timing fo from 0 deg to 40 deg...with a stock dizzy. :confused: But it works. :banana:

haha thanks one and all for the used belt offer's but with my long nightime drive with no cell phone on a fairly empty road at night i am kinda paranoid about re-using t belts off another motor

plus i hate not knowing what to expect...

Oddcomp, the belts that I have look like they are nearly new: Clean, dry, no signs of any scuffing or wear. (But no brandname printing on them, either.) The only reason I changed them was because I was there and the car was going to be driven my my kid. As far as not knowing what to expect, I have had a belt with about 2k miles shred and explode on me. None of us truly know, we just choose to delude ourselves that it won't happen just yet. Timing belts s*ck!

As far as running an edis-type system off of the cam, it mitigates some of the advantages of using a crank-timed system: Virtually no timing variation caused by drive tolerances, and the possibility of finer "granularity" of timing information. Just my opinion...

Belts suck less than chains. a lot less loss with a belt.

I'm a "chain" kind of guy. 300k on a chain with just a little stretch to worry about, and maybe change the guides in the middle if you want to... Yes, chains would cause more destruction if they let go, but they just don't do that with any statistical regularity. Japanese cars have used chains for decades without any problems. Toothed belts have one major attraction, and that is they are cheap for manufactureres to use. Again, just my opinion...

This is why my future EDIS system will have the crank trigger from the drivers cam instead of the actual crank....and why right now I still use the disty with the MS....

Afterall...somehow majically the MS can make timing fo from 0 deg to 40 deg...with a stock dizzy. :confused: But it works. :banana:

kinda easy to explain why ms can make the timing change with the stock disty

it functions just the same as the original ecu controlled timing by advancing or delaying the time the coil fires by x amount of time/degree's

hehe