Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to replace belt soon and called a few places for price of belt. About $50.00 from Napa ,$27.99 from Autozone, and Advance has a whole range of prices on the same belt.What is the difference in who you buy the belt from ? Can you tell me what you think ? Is one brand better than the other ? Thanks

Need to replace belt soon and called a few places for price of belt. About $50.00 from Napa ,$27.99 from Autozone, and Advance has a whole range of prices on the same belt.What is the difference in who you buy the belt from ? Can you tell me what you think ? Is one brand better than the other ? Thanks
wrongturninwva,by the way i liked that movie,might have been some relatives,but anyway this is one of them times you get what you pay for.

I have more experience with the older Subarus, but I can tell you that on those cars, it's best to go with OEM Subaru belts. Judgeing from the prices you give, I'm guessing you've got a SOHC EJ22, in which case the belt is like $55 from 1stsubaruparts.com or any of the other discount places. If it's an interference engine, you are really rolling the dice with anything less than OEM belts...if it breaks, there goes the motor...is it really worth that risk to save a few dollars?

Spend a few extra $$ and go with the OEM. The OEM belt has marks for the left, center and right alignment marks.

Just match the line on the timing belt up with the mark on the left cam sprocket and line that up with the mark on the timing belt cover, line up the mark on the crank sprocket and dotted line on the timing belt and oil pump mark and the same with the right side and your good to go.

I don't know if Dayco, Good Year, Beck/Arnley or Kelly/Springfiled have the alignment marks the OEM belt has but those factory marks made me feel TONS more secure before I hit the ignition. The after market belts may last just as long or be just as good but I sure like those FACTORY marks on the OEM belt.

Like eveyone has said, OEM only! Do you want to risk having to tear back into your engine to save a few dollars?

Thanks guys, I will go with the Subaru parts. Belt,new seals and all. I only want to do the job 1 time. Too cold out to have to do it all over again. Then I should be good for another 155,000 miles.

Also read post by rainbow123: Any timing belt difference between CA and non CA timing belt. My dealer could not tell me the difference in the two belts. You learn something new each day.

This is from an aftermarket parts catalog, used by a number of vendors, in reference to phase I SOHC timing belt:

Timing belt 13028 AA102 is exactly the same size as belt 13028 AA150 and can be used in its place as long as the different position of the crankshaft reference marks (dotted paint stripe) between the two belts has been taken into account (belt timing positions on California engines for this application are slightly different than those for Federal engines).

Not sure I understand what they mean. Are the tooth counts between timing marks not the same between Cal. and non-Cal. belts? The service manual does not say about any difference.

the belt for my 93 impreza is $70 from dealer and $50+ship from 1stsubaruparts, but $16 from ebay this morning:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-SUBARU-OUTBACK-LEGACY-IMPREZA-NEW-TIMING-BELT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33625QQitemZ8012443942QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

it's made by Flennor, a German firm and is made in Germany or UK, also i searched for the name DynaGear printed on the box and came up with this old thread about the seller:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5097

i think OEM is good of course, but based on past user experiences and the price, i think you can get equal performance for less, just my 2 cents for what it's worth

i think OEM is good of course, but based on past user experiences and the price, i think you can get equal performance for less, just my 2 cents for what it's worth

Yea I like the fact this will fit on a 93 outback, except this model didn't start until 95. :banghead:

I will risk parts like alternators, brake pads, etc, on aftermarket, but not precision parts such as timing belts, engine seals, etc.

• 3 years later...

I just bought a 1993 SUBARU IMPREZA L , I am not sure if I should change the timing belt. How would I know if this needs to be replaced. If it breaks I am too poor to get the mess fixed.

Can someone help me find the link on ebay where I can buy the cheap but good timing belt in case I need to replace it? What is the difference in belt only and belt kit? Do i need kit or belt only?

Thanks for help.

belt kit includes all new pulleys (and hopefully tensioner but depends on the kit).

if you want a good, reliable vehicle then get the entire kit. your pulleys are 15+ years old and one or more are not in good shape. no telling how long they'll last being devoid of grease which all vehicles have by that age.

ebay kits for your car are under $100 i think. just search on ebay.

there's no way to answer if it "needs" to be replaced. i like a reliable car, being stranded is not an option - to me it "needs" to be replaced. if you're not into maintenance like that and like to risk it, then it doesn't need to be replaced.

any time i get a subaru i replace all the timing components. even if the belt was replaced it is unlikely they replaced anythign else. and to me it's silly to replace a belt and not the pulleys.

you could buy the timing belt kit and throw it in the trunk so it's done right when it breaks. or get a set of used pulleys and belt just in case.

i suggest not living pay check to pay check in such a way that you're spending 100% of your income or maxing out all your disposable income on a car and can't afford to properly maintain it. but that's just me, i'm weird.

Edited by grossgary