Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gasket Sealer Q's...

I'll be reassembling my EA82T using a SOA Engine Gasket Kit. Has every single gasket i should need, from the oil pump to the rear main seal and everything in between.

Im not sure if I should use a sealant on the head gaskets or not. I already plan on using a sealer for the intake gaskets, oil pan and some other various gaskets that like to leak (oil pump, valve covers etc).

Can anyone recommend a sealant to use? Should I use a different type for different parts?

Thanks all,

-Brian

UltraGrey is second choice from the Fuji bond.

the tube cost me around $20 from subaru....ofcourse, i get a killer deal.

you will want one of these also to seal the cam housings to the head. I dont really recomend using it on the paper gaskets(intake) as it tends to spooge out the sides a bit.

oh yeah no sealer on the exhaust flange gaskets either.

I'm with rallyruss on this one. DRY is best unless the directions call for sealant. Most gaskets are designed to grab the sealing surface, and sealant will only get in the way and make things slippery. Some gastes come with a spray-on sealant that is heat activated, you don't want to put extra sealant on over it.

Your head gaskets are squished with many tons of force. If you have leaks, you have other problems- improper torque, dirty or oily surface, warpage, cracks or scratches.

I just installed mine dry and I'll be running 20+ PSI boost (confidently). The engine should get nice and hot, I'll let you guys know how the gaskets hold up.

Good idea. I work as a construction equipment mechanic so it shouldnt be hard to locate a tube of the stuff.

-Brian

Permatex Anaerobic Gasket Maker is the same stuff. It works great for flanges like the cam towers and block halves. It also works very well on the oil pan gasket.

Do not put any sealant on the oil pump or valve covers. Rubber gaskets and o-rings are NOT designed to be used with sealant. Especially on the oil pump, using a sealant like RTV would cause little chunks of it to break off and get into the oil passages...which is not good, to say the least.

For intake manifold gaskets, water pump gasket, etc, use the copper spay-on stuff. It just barely coats the gaskets, providing a good seal without any excess sealant.

no sealant on HG. copper coat is the only thing that can be used there. still I feel dry is best.

most gaskets would be fine with out sealant but if you really want then permatex aviation sealant works well with a gaskets.

The FSM actually specifies a sealant for the HGs (at least for ea81s it does).

The old timers (racers) used to swear by hot stove aluminum paint on head gaskets. You paint it on both sides of the head gasket, let it dry, then install it. I've used it on high compression Corvette engines and never had a failure. Was it better than installing dry? I don't know. I've never used it on aluminum heads and or block. Just something to consider. It's cheep!

Hey Brian This is Jerry, pm me with your address i have some gasket sealer that is really good stuff. I work on CASE backhoes and this stuff is made for case. It really works i use it on water on gas on oil on deisel on hyd oil heck on everything. This stuff works good- do not use on head gaskets but everything else. Also use it on the crank case when you put it back together it won't leak. Thanks Jerry