Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i put new Sylvania sliverstar headlight bulbs in my 95 subaru legacy awd 5speed and mann what a differnce they make, they are well worth the money to spend on bulb

think your headlights are white i put one in the driverside then turned on the head lights i could tell how much brighter and whiter they are even driving on the raod they make a hole lot differnce.

i would recomend them for your subaru

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Texan, standard wattage.

I have recently started to return to "All weather" or "Gold" bulbs. The reason is the amount of road signs over here. The number is growing and the reflective coating has increased in quality - I find that I get blinded by the "white" bulbs :-\

The downside of the Silverstars is their shorter lifespan than a standard color halogen.

The filaments are slightly voltage-overdriven to produce a whiter / "hotter" spectrum, but because the wattage remains the same as stock - the actual amount of light (lumens) is no greater. The light blue coating actually robs some of the light output but makes what's left appear even whiter to the eye.

The downside of the Silverstars is their shorter lifespan than a standard color halogen.

The filaments are slightly voltage-overdriven to produce a whiter / "hotter" spectrum, but because the wattage remains the same as stock - the actual amount of light (lumens) is no greater. The light blue coating actually robs some of the light output but makes what's left appear even whiter to the eye.

I believe this only applies to the Sylvania-badged SilverStars. If you get the Osram-badged SilverStarts I believe they are NOT overdriven and do NOT have any blue coloring added to the glass. I realize this thread is titled "Sylvania sliverstar ... " but thought I would throw this out there if anyone was interested.

-Heikki

I agree blitz!

I put a pair of Low Beam Sealed Lamps in my '88 & they both failed in less than a year.

I talked with Sylvania & they said that was normal?

Well, at $20 per lamp, I will stick with the regular old halogens, but the SilverStars do make a noticeable difference.

Anyone compare them to the XtraVision? They're half the price and I found them effective on my old OBW.

The website says XtraVision:

XtraVision is designed to create up to 30% more illumination, increasing down road visibility with no added glare.

FnDocIdDisplay.asp?docid=003679428

While SilverStar:

They are both the whitest and the brightest lights available. SilverStar is whiter light, closer to the color of daylight.

FnDocIdDisplay.asp?docid=003679422

But other than being whiter, they don't look any brighter to me?

Ranger, the eye is more sensitive to certain wavelengths than others, the irony being that the hotter colors (that seem brighter) can be harsher, more distracting and ultimately more fatiguing to certain (generally older) eyes. A cooler, slightly off-white could be made brighter with less fatigue and glare. Why that isn't done I have no idea.

Proper aiming goes a long way, seems like a whole-lotta drivers runnin' around with mis-aimed lights.

Also ..that photo. :lol: Look close, it's the same photo, just with color adjusted to simulate the difference.

Anyone compare them to the XtraVision? They're half the price and I found them effective on my old OBW.

Ranger83:

I (and others) posted some comments about that in the link just before your post. I just bought a two pack of XtraVisions for $18 last night, going to put them in today. My first set lasted only 10 months but I'm giving them another chance. Indeed, they are half the price of the SilverStars and they lack the blue coating shown here (OEM on left, SilverStar on right)

bulbs.jpg

Steve

Blitz, check out Phillips "gold" and "all weather". Plenty of light, but far less glare.
I'll have to check those out, but I don't recall ever seeing them on the shelf. Seems like all I ever see around here for replacement headlamps are Sylvania.

I'm using XtraVisions currently and they're not a whole lot brighter than stock, but they seem OK.

I think that individual cars that have abnormally high system voltage are the ones that tear through the "hot" lamps in a matter of several months or so.

I believe this only applies to the Sylvania-badged SilverStars. If you get the Osram-badged SilverStarts I believe they are NOT overdriven and do NOT have any blue coloring added to the glass. I realize this thread is titled "Sylvania sliverstar ... " but thought I would throw this out there if anyone was interested.

-Heikki

mine bulbs were badged osram sliverstars

I just installed the silverstars and the relay harness, and all I can say is WOW!!! I aimed them low intentionally because I didn't have time to aim them properly and I wanted to take it easy on other drivers. Once I get them aimed properly they should be even better.

If they last a year I think it will be money well spent.

Mine came from Advance Auto, the ones in the Justy (still good) were $35 for a pair and the ones in my Beetle (went through five bulbs last winter but haven't replaced one since) were around $22 each bulb, also at Advance. I make a consicous effort to avoid Wal Mart and have been there once in the past year.

Ranger, the eye is more sensitive to certain wavelengths than others, the irony being that the hotter colors (that seem brighter) can be harsher, more distracting and ultimately more fatiguing to certain (generally older) eyes. A cooler, slightly off-white could be made brighter with less fatigue and glare. Why that isn't done I have no idea.

Proper aiming goes a long way, seems like a whole-lotta drivers runnin' around with mis-aimed lights.

Also ..that photo. :lol: Look close, it's the same photo, just with color adjusted to simulate the difference.

That would be quite deceptive, don't you think? Want to lay money on it? I tried to adjust it in PhotoShop to look like the SilverStar, and could not, by adjusting the brightness, contrast, colors, etc.

I do agree in that I think the SilverStar isn't any brighter: it's a marketing gimmick to vacuum an extra $20 out of the wallets of young males.:lol:

FnDocIdDisplay.asp?docid=003679424FnDocIdDisplay.asp?docid=003679497

display.aspx?id=003679422FnDocIdDisplay.asp?docid=003679428