Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm usually on the older Soob site but am curious about this:

Last night a San francisco Bay Area radio newscaster ran his Outback into a flooded area and was stalled before he knew the water was there. The water rose fast.

When he was interviewed later he said that he had not been able to roll down his power windows to get out, that the power door locks kept him from opening a door, and that he broke off the door handle trying to open it. He claimed he was only able to get out by going to the rear and breaking out the back window with the jack.

Did this guy panic and miss doing something obvious, or is this a design flaw?

Ray Mac

Last night a San francisco Bay Area radio newscaster ran his Outback into a flooded area and was stalled before he knew the water was there. The water rose fast.

When he was interviewed later he said that he had not been able to roll down his power windows to get out, that the power door locks kept him from opening a door, and that he broke off the door handle trying to open it. He claimed he was only able to get out by going to the rear and breaking out the back window with the jack.

Ray Mac

If the power went out sure. But did he panic? Why didn't he unlock the door manually?? There is a button you know.

He broke tha door handle? Yeah he panicked.

Sorry, but it sounds like this guy just paniced. Of course any car with power windows has the some issue. If you don't have power (water shorts out the electrics) you can't get the windows open. We are all required to carry a special glass breaking hammer in our rally cars for this reason. As for the door lock, I guess I could see an incident where the electrics shorted in a way that the door locks were being powered and preventing him from unlocking, but I find it highly unlikely. It really just sounds like he paniced.

Keith

panic.

he's a newscaster? non-technical, plays on emotions no offense, but i see that type of person performing less than ideal in a situation like that. over-generalization yes, but i highly doubt he's the most technically sound individual around. who would you rather rely on to get you out of a compromised and deadly vehicle....an airline mechanic or paris hilton? i bet he leans towards the paris hilton side of dealing with life and death situations.

Although electrical systems will sometimes work (for a short time, anyway) when submerged, that they apparently didn't shouldn't be surprising.

Fortunately I've never had the experience, but it's my understanding that the pressure of water on the outside of a vehicle, if the water's sufficiently deep, can make it very difficult or impossible to open a door, even if it's unlocked. In fact, it may be necessary to wait until the interior fills to about the same level as outside, equalizing the pressure, before opening the door becomes practical. Of course, all of that has to do with physical realities, and not the vehicle brand.

The guy probably did panic, but how many of us could remain calm and wait while the vehicle filled to the level at which a door might be openable? :eek:

I know its pretty difficult to master your door locks. In my opinion this guy screwed up two different ways, about a foot of running water can wash your car away and those little plastic things will unlock your door. It seems he is trying for the Darwin award and the gene pool might be better off if he wins.

How do you do that? Seriously? Water aint that clear.

Depends on how fast he was going and what the visibility was like. I had a coworker go through a huge "puddle" (more like a pond) last winter with his Pontiac Bonneville. Going in to work, there's a bit of a dip in the road, with a pond nearby. The pond overflowed, dumping its excess contents into that dip. Must've been a few feet deep at least.

The speed limit through there is 45... coworker said he was going about 50-55. 5 AM in February, so it was pretty dark still. Couldn't see the water, since it was relatively still and was "level" with the road, so he drove right into it. He managed to motor his way through, but soaked everything bad enough that it wouldn't start later that day. About fifteen minutes after he past through the water, mall security came around and put up those sawhorse road blocks.

'Course, the rest of the article makes the newscaster sound like a certified "panicker". At the least, someone who's never looked up/heard/read/saw how to get out of a submerged car.

but it's my understanding that the pressure of water on the outside of a vehicle, if the water's sufficiently deep, can make it very difficult or impossible to open a door, even if it's unlocked.

good point. they did have massive flooding so it was flowing water and probably very forceful, i've been in and on fast rivers before and they are quite scarry and powerful. maybe he misinterpreted the circumstances - blaming the car and really it was the fault of the water pressure against it.

maybe he misinterpreted the circumstances - blaming the car and really it was the fault of the water pressure against it.

Hmm... I bet I know what he was thinking... "It's a lot easier to sue a car manufacturer than some flood watter"

Oh and I saw a Top Gear (awesome British car show) where they dropped a car in to a pool, to test for the best way of escape...yeah, the whole "wait till the pressure equalizes/car fills with watter", NOT a good idea...your best bet is to try hastily to get out ASAP (if the car floats for a bit, try right then)...I mean, this guy may have panicked, but he did make it out alive. And did keep his wits enough to use a tool to break the window. So he's at least at Chimp level. :banana:

Well, I'm glad I had the good sense of buying a Brighton. If my car ever finds itself underwater, I'll just spin those magical cranks and save the world the loss of my precious genes. Survival of the Bright...est. :grin:

He claimed he had time to locate the jack where it was stowed, get it out and break the back window with it. I think it's likely that by that time the water was no longer rising and he knew he had enough time.

If it's any consolation, he bloodied himself pretty badly going through the broken window

However from my own experience with power windows and locks in other vehicles I certainly would not buy another vehicle that had them, too much to go wrong, with or without an emergency.

Ray Mac

this is what starts goofy law suits when they have no merit.Lets put the blame where it belongs,HE drove the car into the water,if the headlights worked,the brakes worked,the steering was working,he has nobody to blame.subaru to my knowledge has no cars that are waterproof.so in my opinion HE needs to change his driving habits,subaru dont need to change anything.

How do you do that? Seriously? Water aint that clear.
:lol: I was just thinking the same thing.

The dude would probably complain about his "deathtrap boat" leaving him stranded with a malfunctioning stern-drive after running it onto a sandbar. :-\

Ray Mac

First rule, never drive into a large puddle or water of unknown depth. FLash flooding and cars dont mix.

Secondly he panicked, as there is a manual lock, and in a worse case scnario, you hold the manual lock as you open the door handle.

Thirdly any car with power windows and locks will have an electrical failure if the water is deep enough. It sounds like the water was already 1/2 way up the tires or better when he drove into it. to make it stall.

nipper

I know its pretty difficult to master your door locks. In my opinion this guy screwed up two different ways, about a foot of running water can wash your car away and those little plastic things will unlock your door. It seems he is trying for the Darwin award and the gene pool might be better off if he wins.

Agreed.

OK, my opinion (funny how it matches everything I have read in this thread): The guy is an idiot. For the water to be so high that he cannot open the doors (I'd guess that had to be about a third of the way up, if the door he was trying to open was on the side being pushed against), he had to have seen splashing of water long before. My 92 Legacy wagon can go through a fairly deep puddle without shorting anything out. For it to stall, and the wiring to short, I would have to be in at least two feet of water. I cannot imagine that the Outback is designed any less as well. If the door is pinned shut by water, you simply go to the other side and open that one. Why did he climb all the way to the back to get out of the car? What did he do, drive it off a pier?