Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not practical to offer a boxer diesel motor? Why not?
About a year back somebody on USMB presented a fairly reasonable case :horse: that in order to maximize the fuel efficiency of a diesel, a long connecting rod and a long stroke would both be in be in order. Stuffing it transversely into a passenger car would strip away a sizeable amount of that advantage. I could've just been making all that crap up, but it sounded good.

Well, the fact is that subaru's actually get great gas mileage. People around here who buy subaru's are not choosing between a subaru and a camry or jetta -- of course a camry or jetta is going to get better mileage. They're choosing between a subaru and a blazer or explorer. My friend's explorer gets a good solid 16. Maybe 19 on the highway.

Doesn't keep me from wanted a diesel subaru so I can get 40, but even now, I'm getting 10 more than most SUV's.

Additionally, you could argue that, Subaru's lineup AS A WHOLE is way ahead of most other companies in 'corporate' gas mileage. (I haven't seen any numbers though - i dunno)They don't make a Titan, Expedition, Hummer or cadillac sized vehicle. i see nothing wrong with them keepin the 'niche' they occupy, even if there are more fuel efficient cars out there - there are many quite worse as you pointed out. And, when it comes to light delivery vehicles or occasional light/moderate hauling - wagons are underrated. Subaru at least has not abandoned the 'wagon' style.

done it before on a bet that is i think i drank in the range of about 12-14 glasses about 12 oz each with no ice then ate dinner. (a very small dinner)

yeah, i'm sure i've drank nearly that much...most likely after a football game back in highschool.

but that doesn't deter from the point that subaru's are not gas anorexic.

In the paper today Ford is showing a hybrid diesel. I just got back from an hour ride in a Honda hybrid and it is a decent little car. Dollars are not everything as using less fuel is definately good for the environment.

I hope my next Subrau is a hybrid.

Not practical to offer a boxer diesel motor? Why not, most all the line now uses the 2.5 so just offer a diesel as an option.

We have no choice but to go Hybrid???? Hybrid is a terrible solution. It adds so much to the price of the car, even if gas was $5 gallon, it would take millions of miles to make up the cost.

Case in point Toyota Echo vs. Prius. Echo $12,000 gets 40mpg Prius $24,000 gets 55mpg. These are the same car, but the Prius is Hybrid. It would take you millions of miles to make up the additional cost. This is not to mention the fact that you now have a car that can only be serviced by the dealer, the batteries will only last around 5 years and cost $4000-6000 replace.

Hybrid is only good for the manufactures and does nothing for the consumer, it is the new vaporware for the auto industry to make more money.

Diesel is not a practical fuel. Many gas stations dont offer it. So why would Subaru Convert their whole line to a diesel set up? And their people out there who turn their nose up entirely to the thought of buying a diesel. It would be a bold move for Subaru.

In time Hybrid costs will come down. The government does offer a tax credit for buying a hybrid vehicle. And yes, our very own Subaru has a battery with a lifespan of 10-15 years. Why do you think Toyota was so interested in purchasing GMs 12 percent in Subaru?

Europe is full of diesels and I think we will hop on the bandwagon again soon. Ford may be thinking ahead with thier hybrid diesel.Last year my department alone put over 1,000,000 miles on diesels so I think they are fairly practical. Don't even ask what our 96 trains a day did. We also have another 300 or so busses operating out of another department.

I respectfully differ in opinion regarding this issue-- I believe there's nothing wrong with complaining about sub-20's fuel economy no matter what vehicle you're speaking of, and in fact believe it's beneficial if people DO complain.

With dwindling fossil fuel supplies, increasing dependence on foreign sources, and the ever increasing cost for that fuel (both in money and human lives), it serves good purpose if consumers demand better fuel economy from ALL vehicles; be them Subaru, GM, Honda, or whatever.

So I'm under the opinion of, "Complain away!"-- If no one ever said a thing about poor fuel economy then there'd be almost no incentive for any auto maker, including Subaru, to improve the situation. Apathy befits apathy, and action spurs the corollary.

I believe it's fortunate that throughout human history there were at least some people who refused to throw up their arms and say, "Just deal with it". We would never have advanced as a society without them.

Diesel is not a practical fuel. Many gas stations dont offer it. So why would Subaru Convert their whole line to a diesel set up? And their people out there who turn their nose up entirely to the thought of buying a diesel. It would be a bold move for Subaru.

In time Hybrid costs will come down. The government does offer a tax credit for buying a hybrid vehicle. And yes, our very own Subaru has a battery with a lifespan of 10-15 years. Why do you think Toyota was so interested in purchasing GMs 12 percent in Subaru?

I wouldn't necessarily say that invading foreign countries is practical either. My diesel truck and vw rabbit both run on fuel grown in Iowa.

FWIW, I almost never drive my subaru any more, because I refuse to buy petroleum fuels unless unavoidable. I still love the car -- but I can't drive it. I personally like the idea of hybrids, but all the current ones still use gas, albeit less of it.

I respectfully differ in opinion regarding this issue-- I believe there's nothing wrong with complaining about sub-20's fuel economy no matter what vehicle you're speaking of, and in fact believe it's beneficial if people DO complain.

But if a larger vehicle is actually carrying several people, the fuel use per person could be beneficial - you can't just draw the line at 20mpg. Our old Windstar van usually had 2-5 people in it. for instance. At 20mpg it would be better than a smaller vehicle carrying one person at 39mpg.

With dwindling fossil fuel supplies, increasing dependence on foreign sources, and the ever increasing cost for that fuel (both in money and human lives), it serves good purpose if consumers demand better fuel economy from ALL vehicles; be them Subaru, GM, Honda, or whatever.

I don't completely disagree - obviously many folks feel Subarus get poor mileage and may replace them in hte future - but those alternate technologies are not free from fossil fuels either. The very cost involved indicates extensive and sophisticated manufacturing - likely involving electricity generated by fossil fuels, or nuclear. And the move to more plastic components (ironically to make cars lighter so they increase economy - which may also COST lives by making them less safe) means using oil. Nuclear, BTW would save a LOT of lives, scores of coal miners die every year from black lung disease for example. But the hybrids we have now cannot even be 'topped off' in the garage at home. They rely on the gas engine for all battery charging. Batteries which, BTW, are toxic to dispose of and a threat to rescue workers trying to use the 'jaws of life' and other means to extricate occupants of wrecked vehicles. There are 2 Prius - es in my in-laws family. My BIL has one which failed in a way completely unexpected by Toyota - he still has problems with it. And if the traction batteries are completely discharged (they told him it can never happen - but it did.) there are only 4 machines in the US to recharge them! That technology may be 'hot' right now in marketing terms, but it is immature in technical terms. As for foreign sources - I say let's use theirs and keep ours in the ground as long as possible!

So I'm under the opinion of, "Complain away!"-- If no one ever said a thing about poor fuel economy then there'd be almost no incentive for any auto maker, including Subaru, to improve the situation. Apathy befits apathy, and action spurs the corollary.

Again, I just feel its exagerrated in general - and for me personally a very miner issue. No problems with folks who disagree.

I believe it's fortunate that throughout human history there were at least some people who refused to throw up their arms and say, "Just deal with it". We would never have advanced as a society without them.

You're right, when whale oil became too expensive, we got kerosene. When the Brits burned up most of the trees in England for charcoal, we got coal. The market place can find solutions and meet folk's demands. I just hate to see the gumint try to pick the winners and mandate prices,etc. I truly hope we never start growing food for cars while people are hungry! Fossil fuels can be and are mostly used responsibly.

sorry for the long reply

Buy a mid 90 vw golf diesel (not tdi), covert it to veg. oil, get a friend with a restuarant, never pay to fuel your car again, and shut up.

I considered this (and my father has a fish fry - all the oil I will ever need), but I dont regret buying my 96 outback to last me the next 12yrs until I start my life career.

Better yet, ride a bicycle to work. Help the enviroment, your health, and your wallet.

Hybrids are really on a stop-gap measure until fuel cells become cost effective and more compact. Once that happens, the move will be towards full electric vehicles with fuel cell technology.

The bottom line is once oil prices rise to a certain point where alternative energy sources are as or more economical....then alternative fuel source technology will advance. The world revolves around economics.....it's sad to say that, but it's true, and there's really not much you can do about it.

Buy a mid 90 vw golf diesel (not tdi), covert it to veg. oil, get a friend with a restuarant, never pay to fuel your car again, and shut up.

I considered this (and my father has a fish fry - all the oil I will ever need), but I dont regret buying my 96 outback to last me the next 12yrs until I start my life career.

Better yet, ride a bicycle to work. Help the enviroment, your health, and your wallet.

it doesn't work that way. chemicals need to be added to the veggi oil in order for it to burn properly.

it doesn't work that way. chemicals need to be added to the veggi oil in order for it to burn properly.

Not if you heat it up. I've put several thousand miles on a school bus on waste veggie oil, and the only thing is that it has to be at least 160F before it enters the injection pump. My rabbit and my pickup are getting systems like this soon.

well, good. run fry greese in your pickup and hitler-mobile. that's not the topic here.

the topic is subarus. subarus do not run on veg. oil, and until they do, everyone knows how much gas mileage subarus get and in the mean time if you want to complain about it buy something else

i speak for myself and i feel that i speak for many many people on this board when i say we're tired of hearing about it. at least once a week there's a new thread posted by a new member about how to improve their gas mileage (that normally isn't bad to begin with i.e. 24mpg in a turbo wagon).

i say, unless you're throwing a CEL and getting 8mpg, either quit whining or buy something else, all of that information is on the board already, there's no need to take up space on the forum for something as tired as the "i get crap gas mileage" topics.

in fact, i suggest that the moderators make a whole new topic section for people to cry about it so that people like me who want to hear about new cool things and interesting concepts and fun stories don't have to waste out time sifting through useless threads about pointless topics.

my gas milage-

EJ18, 5MT AWD impreza wagon, 31mpg this summer across ND (all the way across in one tank!) ... current MPG around town (commute to work) 21-24mpg approx

turbo XT back when i "commuted" to euegene OR from seattle- also 31mpg (325miles on one tank!!)

but i have had some.. not so good MPG ratings...

(83 wagon with poorly-tuned weber= 3mpg :eek: ) that was a bad day, stuck choke!)

well, good. run fry greese in your pickup and hitler-mobile. that's not the topic here.

the topic is subarus. subarus do not run on veg. oil, and until they do, everyone knows how much gas mileage subarus get and in the mean time if you want to complain about it buy something else

In the original post where veggie oil came up, he said that he could have run veggie oil in a VW jetta, but he chose the subaru instead. No one ever said anything about running veggie oil in a subaru. Your statement that it (running veggie oil in a diesel engine) couldn't be done without mixing with chemicals was incorrect, and I was merely correcting that.

And hitler-mobile? I could remind you that Japan, where subarus are from was on the same side as Hitler in that war. So do you hate subarus because of the history of their country too?

By the way, I do agree with you that there are far too many new threads asking how to increase mileage. I get tired of saying the same things over and over.... tire air pressure, O2 sensor, driving habits, etc, etc, etc ad nauseum....

I wouldn't necessarily say that invading foreign countries is practical either. My diesel truck and vw rabbit both run on fuel grown in Iowa.

Why bother invading foreign countries for the oil when we have a president who is completely willing to plunder the Alaskan tundra for it? I mean that would be the smart way to end our foreign dependence. Its only collateral damage. No biggie.

from Qman

I'll reopen it. However, if you, or anyone else for that matter, lose it again it will be closed and deleted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosDiosDeVerde86

why'd you close it...

i was going to go on and appoligize for losing my cool, but i can't now.

it was a hot thread that a lot of people had interest in, you shouldn't have closed it.

(just so everyone knows)