Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i'm so tired of people complaining about thier bad gas mileage. i just read (on the 5th page of this forum) about a guy complaining about getting 24MPG ON A 06 TURBO WAGON.

LOOK, EVERYONE HERE GETS BAD GAS MILEAGE. with the exeption of a few people, subaru gas mileage sucks.

you don't buy a subaru for gas mileage. you buy a subaru for reliability, longevity, uniqueness, and AWD.

YOU WILL NOT GET 30MPG IN A SUBARU!!

GET OVER IT

my 96 legacy auto gets 17 mpg AND I LOVE IT! i wouldn't trade my car for anything because i love my car. if i were worried about gas mileage i'd buy a 82 nissan sentra manual and get 42 mpg.

their subaru's....they're thirsty....but they're worth it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm so tired of people complaining about thier bad gas mileage. i just read (on the 5th page of this forum) about a guy complaining about getting 24MPG ON A 06 TURBO WAGON.

LOOK, EVERYONE HERE GETS BAD GAS MILEAGE. with the exeption of a few people, subaru gas mileage sucks.

you don't buy a subaru for gas mileage. you buy a subaru for reliability, longevity, uniqueness, and AWD.

GET OVER IT

my 96 legacy auto gets 17 mpg AND I LOVE IT! i wouldn't trade my car for anything because i love my car. if i were worried about gas mileage i'd buy a 82 nissan sentra manual and get 42 mpg.

17? You might need a tune up. I can beat the HELL out of my Outback get get at least 22. When I only drive hard here and there I can get 24 - 25. Not bad for a 10 year old car.

I just took a trip with my 1993 Legacy wagon (235k miles) and was averaging 30 mpg. 2.2L engine.

GET OVER IT

I just took a trip with my 1993 Legacy wagon (235k miles) and was averaging 30 mpg. 2.2L engine.

the difference between my old 1996 Outback with the 2.5 and my current 2004 Outback with the 3.0 H6 was 1 mpg. Am I complaining? Nope. I've seen the MPG ratings of other AWD cars and Subaru gets better MPG. :D

the only newer subarus you will see 30mpgs on are the 2wd legacys from 90-94, at least on a reg bases...oh and a conserivativly drive svx on the highway. i got 24mpg avareage on my trip to cali 1000milles. best was 31, worst was 21 all at about 80mph

funny thing is

my 73 wagon loaded to the gills at 5000ft in the summer at WOT got 34 mpg at 68-75 mph

but yes if people are buying subarus for the milage they are sorely miss informed.

Guys,

My 02 OBW gets 36 mpg ...... when I behave myself on the highway and stick to 100 kph, ... and when I stay in this verrrrrry flat section of Southern Ontario, Canada. BUT.... even though we here in Canada now use litres and kilometres, we old timers still convert back and can calculate in miles and Imperial Gallons which are larger than American Gallons. Hence, my results will be higher than what has been reported by the others in this thread. Still, I know that my wife's Lexus gets better mileage, when I behave myself, since it doesn't have the added all wheel drive weight, the higher stance, and wider tires. BUT .... I wouldn't trade the OBW for anything else. So my normal mileage is less than 36 mpg by more than a bit, but the added benefits of the Subaru more than make up for it in my opinion. This is my second Suby, and it won't be my last.

Guys,

My 02 OBW gets 36 mpg ...... when I behave myself on the highway and stick to 100 kph, ... and when I stay in this verrrrrry flat section of Southern Ontario, Canada. BUT.... even though we here in Canada now use litres and kilometres, we old timers still convert back and can calculate in miles and Imperial Gallons which are larger than American Gallons. Hence, my results will be higher than what has been reported by the others in this thread. Still, I know that my wife's Lexus gets better mileage, when I behave myself, since it doesn't have the added all wheel drive weight, the higher stance, and wider tires. BUT .... I wouldn't trade the OBW for anything else. So my normal mileage is less than 36 mpg by more than a bit, but the added benefits of the Subaru more than make up for it in my opinion. This is my second Suby, and it won't be my last.

where are you in southern ontario? I am not entirely familiar with the area, but I live an hour or so away, and definately remember this "verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry flat section" that you speak of :lol:

and so this post isn't entirely off topic... my subaru gets horrible mileage because I can't help but drive it the way it was meant to be driven!!! :banana:

There is a great idea in this thread. If we just start computing our mileage in imperial gallons we will all feel much better. I just sy to myself the Subaru does everything I used my Jeep for and the Subaru is more comfortable and gets 25mpg and the Jeep got 15.

look, i know people are going to see this thread and try and "prove me wrong" but it won't. those of you getting that good of gas mileage are lucky and fall under my "some of you get good mileage..." comment. i'm happy for you that you get good mileage.

my point is that you shouldn't buy a subaru thinking it's a honda and then come on this forum asking how to improve mileage on a 2 year old car and then b!ching about it because it's NOT a honda.

go cry to Fuji and the EPA.

Well according to the Subaru website, a hybrid model is nearing completion.

And just to report, my '99 2.5L get 30mpg on the highway. So did my '96. Just got a K & N air filter. Curious as to if it will change.

Hybrid's are crap, I want a diesel. They are not worth the extra cost.

Read this

My 92 legacy got 32mpg, my 96 gets 30, my father in laws 03 gets 28.

I used to work (just under 12 years) in the oil exploration industry ('logging' equipment - no not trees) and I NEVER, and likely will never, complain about the price of gasoline. I wanted a sport wagon from a company with a decent repair history. I got a WRX wagon. People ask me what kind of mileage it gets all the time. ITS UNRELATED TO ANY PART OF MY PURCHASE DECISION!

Its a miracle of science and marketing that gasoline isn't $20 a gallon. It has to be one of the cheapest liquids on planet earth. Just below water - almost a tie with milk. And, how much would it be if there weren't 38 cents a gallon tax on it? (in Texas) And milk is subsidised. A friggin GLASS of soda is like $1.50 at restaurant! How much are drinks by the gallon at the movies?

Yeah, I know the comparisons are a little misleading - but if gas were REALLY expensive, there wouldn't be so many people driving alone. You guys would pay $8 a gallon for gas and you KNOW it. So does OPEC and EXXON - and the gumint. If the price of gas comes down any more significantly - watch for some poltician to suggest raising the tax because 'we're already accustomed to a higher price - we'll fill in with a small tax and you won't even feel the difference'.

It's worth watching your mileage to monitor for changes that may indicate a problem and to possibly correct some bad driving habits. One thing folks could do - don't buy a new car, you lose thousands the instant you take delivery. that money could put 2-3 years worth of gas in a 4 year old car. Walk, get a bicycle, combine trips. But really, you'd pay twice as much for gas and STILL not carpool to work. come on, fess up, you KNOW it.

I am definitely with LosDios on this one.

Large, boxer-engined, AWD car's are not made to sip fuel parsimoniously :D

My 2.0 liter, non-turbo, Impreza returns an average of 10km/l in winter and about 11km/l in summer. Friends and colleagues brag about getting 15km/l in similar sized cars.

Oh yeah? Any of those boring boxes have AWD???

(Liters and kilometers, do the maths yourselves ;) )

Well, the fact is that subaru's actually get great gas mileage. People around here who buy subaru's are not choosing between a subaru and a camry or jetta -- of course a camry or jetta is going to get better mileage. They're choosing between a subaru and a blazer or explorer. My friend's explorer gets a good solid 16. Maybe 19 on the highway.

Doesn't keep me from wanted a diesel subaru so I can get 40, but even now, I'm getting 10 more than most SUV's.

Carl's right -- gas is still dirt cheap, so why does anyone care about mileage? Actually, it's obvious that people don't, judging by the number of suburbans with one person in them commuting to work here every day. I, the "rabid environmentalist" that I am, have to confess that I drove my 4wd truck around most of last year, getting 22mpg and paying $3.10/gal for biodiesel even though I could have gotten my butt in gear and gotten the old VW rabbit back on the road to get 50mpg. Or biked more. I could have saved money, and maybe helped save the planet too. But I sort of like driving my truck. In my experience, increasing gas prices causes more whining, but no less driving....

I used to work (just under 12 years) in the oil exploration industry ('logging' equipment - no not trees) and I NEVER, and likely will never, complain about the price of gasoline. I wanted a sport wagon from a company with a decent repair history. I got a WRX wagon. People ask me what kind of mileage it gets all the time. ITS UNRELATED TO ANY PART OF MY PURCHASE DECISION!

Its a miracle of science and marketing that gasoline isn't $20 a gallon. It has to be one of the cheapest liquids on planet earth. Just below water - almost a tie with milk. And, how much would it be if there weren't 38 cents a gallon tax on it? (in Texas) And milk is subsidised. A friggin GLASS of soda is like $1.50 at restaurant! How much are drinks by the gallon at the movies?

Yeah, I know the comparisons are a little misleading - but if gas were REALLY expensive, there wouldn't be so many people driving alone. You guys would pay $8 a gallon for gas and you KNOW it. So does OPEC and EXXON - and the gumint. If the price of gas comes down any more significantly - watch for some poltician to suggest raising the tax because 'we're already accustomed to a higher price - we'll fill in with a small tax and you won't even feel the difference'.

It's worth watching your mileage to monitor for changes that may indicate a problem and to possibly correct some bad driving habits. One thing folks could do - don't buy a new car, you lose thousands the instant you take delivery. that money could put 2-3 years worth of gas in a 4 year old car. Walk, get a bicycle, combine trips. But really, you'd pay twice as much for gas and STILL not carpool to work. come on, fess up, you KNOW it.

Hybrid's are crap, I want a diesel. They are not worth the extra cost.

Read this

My 92 legacy got 32mpg, my 96 gets 30, my father in laws 03 gets 28.

I got nothing against the Diesel. Id like to see one. However they are not practical enough to convert the whole Subaru lineup too. Besides, we have no choice but to go Hybrid. We cant quit oil cold turkey. Its gotta last.

I got nothing against the Diesel. Id like to see one. However they are not practical enough to convert the whole Subaru lineup too. Besides, we have no choice but to go Hybrid. We cant quit oil cold turkey. Its gotta last.

Not practical to offer a boxer diesel motor? Why not, most all the line now uses the 2.5 so just offer a diesel as an option.

We have no choice but to go Hybrid???? Hybrid is a terrible solution. It adds so much to the price of the car, even if gas was $5 gallon, it would take millions of miles to make up the cost.

Case in point Toyota Echo vs. Prius. Echo $12,000 gets 40mpg Prius $24,000 gets 55mpg. These are the same car, but the Prius is Hybrid. It would take you millions of miles to make up the additional cost. This is not to mention the fact that you now have a car that can only be serviced by the dealer, the batteries will only last around 5 years and cost $4000-6000 replace.

Hybrid is only good for the manufactures and does nothing for the consumer, it is the new vaporware for the auto industry to make more money.

This thread kinda reminds me of a congress-critter we had (still have actually!) back in '73 (Dingell) who was howling 'bout how it would be impossible to reduce the emissions on passenger vehicles and how it would never work and blah, blah, blah... He cited whole a littany of "facts 'n figures" to blowster his case, but in summary basically made the claim that it would result ultimately in the demise of the US auto industry. Well as anyone can clearly see ...since he was mostly representing GM, Ford, and...

...y- y'know????? Sona*********ch, it appears he was actually correct all along. ;)

This thread kinda reminds me of a congress-critter we had (still have actually!) back in '73 (Dingell) who was howling 'bout how it would be impossible to reduce the emissions on passenger vehicles and how it would never work and blah, blah, blah... He cited whole a littany of "facts 'n figures" to blowster his case, but in summary basically made the claim that it would result ultimately in the demise of the US auto industry. Well as anyone can clearly see ...since he was mostly representing GM, Ford, and...

...y- y'know????? Sona*********ch, it appears he was actually correct all along. ;)

:lol::lol::lol: yeah. I guess all of us who thought GM and Ford really could build well made efficient little cars have been proven wrong...