Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently purchased a 97 Impreza Wagon with a missing hubcap. I'd like to have all 4 wheels match, but I really don't care if they're all matching black steel, and I'd like not to buy a new hubcap and ring assembly. Will running without hubcaps damage anything? Should I be worried about protecting the hub assembly?

Thanks,

Greg

If you're worried about it, although you shouldn't be, put a thin coat of grease over it. What protection will a hub cap offer?

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I just wanted to make sure the cheesy piece of plastic wasn't keeping salt and grime out of anything important.

"I just wanted to make sure the cheesy piece of plastic wasn't keeping salt and grime out of anything important."Actually, they do just the opposite, the keep salt, grime, etc. stored and protected, so it can eat away at everything (rust never sleeps). Also, they fill up with snow and throw you wheels W-A-Y out of balannce, dump, em.

They do afford some protection against salt and corroding the lugnuts. If your clamate is like mine, you are better with them.

Buffalo, road salt capitol of the World.

You could always replace the open ones with "acorn" style chrome ones.........

swi66

You could always replace the open ones with "acorn" style chrome ones.........

swi66

They don't come with those any more?

I end up with enough snow packed in just my steel wheels. I don't need hubcaps to gather more. I do have the little metal center caps from the old EA81 wheels on there though.