Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey i need some help. my friend has a 95 legacy 2.2 auto manic and she is stranded and the car is having fits.

the car turns on fine its fine in neutral but as soon as she puts it in gear she is getting a grinding noise.. any idea what it could be. she is a few hours away from me and some guy helped her get the car to the side of the road.

Busted axle? Transmission just croaked? Maybe others have a better suggestion. It's really hard to diagnose this without actually being there to see, hear and verify.

yea i know its hard to figure..im on my way out the door to go rescue her..

Jiffy Lube was the last people to touch the car:banghead:

might need some more pointers as to figure this out. dang it she has had nothing but issues with it.

yea i know its hard to figure..im on my way out the door to go rescue her..

Jiffy Lube was the last people to touch the car:banghead:

might need some more pointers as to figure this out. dang it she has had nothing but issues with it.

JL may have inadvertently drained and/or refilled the wrong fluid. Also, if a rear axle or CV joint is busted - using the FWD fuse might work.

I guess this is too late - hope she's OK.

nope Jiffy lupe didn't F it up.

the cv joint destroyed itself.

I got a friend to drive down with me, he has a bigger car so we put there stuff in the car and drove back.

me and the cv

bustedcv.jpg

so that was the funny sound. i started the car. had my friend put it in gear and the axle started to spin. i only found a few pices of the part that holds the bearings in.. but no bearings.

gotta make a nother 60 mile drive to put on a new axle she had driven about 250 miles and it finaly broke

it seems similar to my old 82 wagon but ive never done these new legacys. any good tips or tricks. ?

nope Jiffy lupe didn't F it up.

the cv joint destroyed itself.

I got a friend to drive down with me, he has a bigger car so we put there stuff in the car and drove back.

me and the cv

bustedcv.jpg

so that was the funny sound. i started the car. had my friend put it in gear and the axle started to spin. i only found a few pices of the part that holds the bearings in.. but no bearings.

gotta make a nother 60 mile drive to put on a new axle she had driven about 250 miles and it finaly broke

it seems similar to my old 82 wagon but ive never done these new legacys. any good tips or tricks. ?

D@mn that IS nasty looking - and the axle don't look good neither!

lol!

Glad you were able to help her out. I assume that's a front axle or the FWD fuse might still move the car. Nice rescue!

i think the same design carries over to the new gens. you pull out the C-clip retainer. then you pull axle shaft w/race and bearings out. next you pull the little C-clip on the axleshaft itself, and slide all the components off as one.....throw in garbage. if you happen to have a spare laying around have at it. if not......time for a JY run!!!!

~Josh~