Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How would you build the perfect sleeper?

I was driving my girlfriend's civic the other night. We were next to a new Corvette at a stop light. For various reasons (we had been fishing a couple miles offshore all day so I was tired and maybe borderline delerious, I like to see fast cars do thier thing, I thought it would be really funny) I tried to get the guy to race. I should state for the record that this is no fast and furious rice car. The is a bone stock 1994 4 door auto civic (no vtec). I thought it must look funny to the corvette owner to have a couple next to him in thier honda revving the engine and challenging him to race. He didn't go for it. At the next light we did the same thing. Still no response. I guess it was obnoxious so I stopped. But it got me thinking, wouldn't it be fun to have a little sleeper in moments like this.

I also know where an old ea81 dl 4 door saloon is that I could get for very very cheap. I am just wondering if I took everything out of it and swapped in a turbo and did a bunch of other stuff, would it be much of a sleeper.

I have a few other ideas as I'm sure you guys do. I'd love to hear them.

Mods: Maybe I should have put this in the "off topic" forum?

-Jack

EA81 sedan, completely gutted interior, ghetto du-it-yrself tinted windows (to block viewing of the hi-po interior) heavily muffled Chevy V8, or whatever is cheap and powerful, anything will fit with some clever welding, American auto trans and solid axle to handle the power. A skilled welder/mechanic could do it for under $1500 I bet. Oh yeah and rusty steel wheels, ugly dented chiped paint. And a wing to really throw them off!

85 model wagon, STI EJ25T, STI drivetrain, 2.5" pipe to the back with a 5" tip (so they can't even recinise the sound,) Make a body kit, spoiler, hood scoop, all out of cardboard your self. Paint the body with house paint and put numbers on it with all sorts of stickers that have "NOS", and "HKS", "APEXI".

Then, you have one perfect sleeper, no one will know. And they will prolly even give you a go just to laugh at you.

Any thoughts?

EDIt: Oh, and painted red stock steelies!

This is getting better and better. I agree that the appearance should not suggest what lies beneath. There is a story around here of two brothers who worked in a body shop out in the sticks. A guy was out in his Porsche 911 one night and put it in a ditch. He was drunk and didn't want the dui so he left the car and walked to a phone to call for a ride. The car set for a while. The insurance company totalled it out. The brothers got the car for a song and fixed it up. It was an older 911 and they left it looking crappy on the outside but tweaked out the inside. They went around drag racing in that thing and surprised a lot of folks.

I don't know if its true, but it makes a good story.

i`m thinking a 78 brat, with rust, a topper and wagon wheels. running an 2.0 twin turbo 6 speed jdm motor, rear wheel drive with an lsd, nos, front e-brake for ultimate burnouts, and a very amplified blow off valve, for gassing the car up next to you at stop lights:D could you imagine holding your own with a beat up old brat agianst a vette

1985-1986 Dodge Omni GLHT used $700

88+ style intake and injectors $50

87+ intercooler $50

90 DSM BOV $35

Adj FPR $50

2.5" exhaust $100

Manual boost control $10

Total $995

Good for high 12's

Other guys face when 80's econobox blows him away, priceless.

1985-1986 Dodge Omni GLHT used $700

88+ style intake and injectors $50

87+ intercooler $50

90 DSM BOV $35

Adj FPR $50

2.5" exhaust $100

Manual boost control $10

Total $995

Good for high 12's

Other guys face when 80's econobox blows him away, priceless.

Good call.

Be prepared for major torque steer!

I'd like to remind everyone thats bandying about the 6 speed JDM tranny like its god's gift to women. It will actually make you slower in the 1/4 mile, as you have to shift more, yeah, its better for rallying, but for straight shot, its not as good as the trusty 5MT.

I have 2 ideas for teh Fast4r

97 OBS, STi swap, they already have the hood scoop, so no one would be the wiser.

80's hatch, STi swap, painted gloss black, and get "popa san" for the plate. Of course 300 HP would be useless with the stock brakes suspension, so i'd have to bring that over too, and get 16-17 inch "wagon" wheels made :brow:

Non Subie related

mid 80's Toyota Cressida wagon, Gen 4 Supra drivetrain swap, it'll fit real nice, the Cressida used the gen 2 Supra engine, detuned of course.

here's what I want.....

'92 loyale wagon

RX tranny/rear diff

somewhat built EJ22 N/A motor

5-lug swap with GC8 front brakes

200SX rear ebrake conversion

KYB GR2 shocks

coilovers

thick swaybars

13"steelies off a FWD impreza

stock wheel covers

but that's my car, don't steal it!!! lol, kidding

I've already got a sleeper, lol... its funny pulling up to a honda wathcing them laugh, then when we take off, i pull away and PSSSSHHHHHTTT! then they wanna see under the hood.. its hilarious really..

too bad i am sellin her, she's such a fine sleeper..

154112_1235-med.JPG

154112_1231-med.JPG

about 200hp or so, with full rx drivetrain.. :grin: honda, its whats for dinner..

my next sleeper is a junker i have.. 93 mercury capri XR2 convertible.. without a cat and the boost cranked to 12psi in its stock form, the car will spank a 03 v6 tiburon in about 50 yards, lol.. its going to be my drag car at the track this summer.. hondas beware :lol:

My sleeper wasn't a Subaru. It was an 81 Buick Estate Wagon diesel (full size GM wagon, power everything).

The diesel came out, and in went an Olds 455, 850CFM Quadrajet, 2.5 inch dual exhaust, and 3.73 posi rear end. It made a few Mustang and Camaro owners turn red.

The funniest thing about it is that my wife drove it for almost two years, never understanding what I liked about the car. One day she came home with a great big grin on her face. Some guy in a 4wd truck had tried to pass her on the right where 4 lanes narrowed down to 2. She floored it for the first time since I'd built it. She had a whole new appreciation for my car.

The down side was that I only got about 9 mpg.

Mine would have to be my 1974 Ford Pinto Runabout with a 2.3 Turbo coup drive train leave the paint in all 4 colors and leave the rear end jacked up like it is. Gut the interior and replace exploding fuel tank with fuel cell. I've seen 1 in my whole life and it ran 11.98 but if i had a little more money i would take the mustange 302 HO drive train only other problem besides money is keeping the front wheels on the ground.