Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spfi Ea81

kingbobdole

Hey peeps, I did a quick search but couldnt find what I was looking for....

I'm SPFI'n my BRAT and I ran into a few issues. Firstly, I have an idea on the coolant intake to the manifold on the right side, but what did everyone else do? The stock piece will not work off the spfi so I was gonna use the carbbed piece... second is the dizzy... do I just dremel the one arm off and open the adjuster hole or is there a better way? Thats all for now that I remember having an issue with... I got it about half done... oh hey.. I plan to put the ECU on the spare tire "shelf"... plan on using a *gasp* Neon comp box to keep it safe... any better ideas?

Been meaning to get to this myself. How did swapping the drive gear on the disty go for you? Take it to a shop or so it yourself?

Also - What's your plan on the SPFI fuel pump? Mount it under the hood and supply it with the carb pump? I was thinking maybe just remove the carb pump completely and let it suck from under the hood. Have to try both ways and see which works. If the carb pump can be eliminated that seems like the way to go. Less parts to worry about.

When you get to it, think you could post a list of needed parts? I know the engine wiring harness, ecu, fuel pump, and manifold with sensors.... there is some relays too I think. A complete list for us EA81 guys would be nice.

GD

Been meaning to get to this myself. How did swapping the drive gear on the disty go for you? Take it to a shop or so it yourself?

Also - What's your plan on the SPFI fuel pump? Mount it under the hood and supply it with the carb pump? I was thinking maybe just remove the carb pump completely and let it suck from under the hood. Have to try both ways and see which works. If the carb pump can be eliminated that seems like the way to go. Less parts to worry about.

When you get to it, think you could post a list of needed parts? I know the engine wiring harness, ecu, fuel pump, and manifold with sensors.... there is some relays too I think. A complete list for us EA81 guys would be nice.

GD

Hey the General of Disorderlyness,

It is nice to see you back.

I think an EA81T distributor works fine for this as it's set up for FI already.

I think that is an option, yes - but the problem is availibility. The SPFI disty has the advantage of being readily availible, and already wired with the right plug. Have to change the drive gear and the mounting tabs, but for $20 for a JY disty, and even if it cost me another $50 to have a distributor shop change the gear it would still be the cheaper of the two. But yeah - if I happened to have an EA81T disty lying around that would be the way to go.

Oh - and the EA81T disty has the vacuum advance... that's going to be different on the later SPFI so I'm not sure how that would work out.

GD

uhhhhh...... I have to change the dizzy gear? I didnt know that... Why? And as far as tabs go, just shave it off right? also as far as the fuel pump goes, I'll just do what I did in my wagon, pull the carb pump and replace it with the efi pump, then I have the relays to wire in and I'll just run a new power wire to the back and reatin the stock wire... no sense trying to make the efi pump suck fuel through the stocker... I'm also using the later loyale hot wire maf so the dizzy replacement is a must... Now that I know I have to change the gear, I will probably do it my self, I have a puller

The gear is "pinned" on with a roll pin that usually has to be drilled out. New hole has to be drilled for the EA81 gear as the hole is higher or lower IIRC. EA82 gear is plastic I think - EA81 is steel.

SPFI runs at 35-45 psi, while carb runs at 3 psi. Stock fuel lines in an EA81 aren't up to the pressure. Hard lines might be (I don't think I would chance it tho), but the soft lines surely aren't rated for it.

GD

GD is right about the rubber fuel hose. When I put SPFI and later on an EJ22 in my EA82 car, I replaced all the rubber hose with new high pressure rated marine fuel hose. Unless the hard lines are rusted, they're fine.

BTW: I just mounted the SPFI pump back by the tank. I think it would starve for fuel if it was mounted in then engine compartment and didn't have another pump supplying it.

GD is right about the rubber fuel hose. When I put SPFI and later on an EJ22 in my EA82 car, I replaced all the rubber hose with new high pressure rated marine fuel hose. Unless the hard lines are rusted, they're fine.

BTW: I just mounted the SPFI pump back by the tank. I think it would starve for fuel if it was mounted in then engine compartment and didn't have another pump supplying it.

Cool - thanks for the info!

GD

• 3 weeks later...

Kinda....

I've got everything on... I just need to finish up soldering some wires to the fuse box and such, and I'm gonna relay up the ignition wire and such... ohh and the fuel pump... I came down with something and ATM its -10 degrees outside, makes it hard to work on... As far as the dizzys go, I just cut the shaft shorter, but the pin hole is in a different place and at shawns recommendation I'm just gonna weld it:-p I do how ever have a few pics:

Home made harness:

100_02371.jpg

Dizzy difference.. loyale is on the left, brat on the right:

100_02391.jpg

This was what I got done on the first 4 hours of working on it... its muchfarther along now:

100_02441.jpg

--------------------------------

~Phil

Only lowered FWD 5-speed XT-6 evAR

1987 Lifted "outback" Wagon

84 lifted BRAT kinda for sale

Gen 1:32 "and on the end of the sixth day,

God created signatures. And God saw that it was good."

http://photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/White%2086%20BRAT/?action=view&current=EA-82lowerhoseasupperhose.jpg

Link to pic of an EA-82 lower radiator hose used as an upper hose on the EA-81 radiator. I discovered this when swapping an EA-82 carbed intake onto an EA-81 engine while doing a Weber swap. The SPFI and carbed intakes have the T-stat outlet in the same location.

Wish I had a pic of the complete hose to show where I cut it, but I don't. Just lay the hose in there, and move it around, you'll see where trimming is needed. Don't get to carried away with trimming on the end that goes to the radiator. Note how close the hose is to the fan shroud, and you'll see what I mean. I really don't think I did any trimming there though.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/White%2086%20BRAT/?action=view&current=EA-82lowerhoseasupperhose.jpg

Link to pic of an EA-82 lower radiator hose used as an upper hose on the EA-81 radiator. I discovered this when swapping an EA-82 carbed intake onto an EA-81 engine while doing a Weber swap. The SPFI and carbed intakes have the T-stat outlet in the same location.

Wish I had a pic of the complete hose to show where I cut it, but I don't. Just lay the hose in there, and move it around, you'll see where trimming is needed. Don't get to carried away with trimming on the end that goes to the radiator. Note how close the hose is to the fan shroud, and you'll see what I mean. I really don't think I did any trimming there though.

Heh - neat trick. I'll remember that one for my swap.

GD

My BRATs lifted so what I did was use the stock hose and the stock carbby upper thermostat housing turned around backwards... its real ghetto lookin, but I'll get a pic when its warmer then -10... I had to do this due to the lift because the stock piece almost hit the radiator:-\

• 2 weeks later...
hey phil did you realise you were logged in as ronnie when you did this

Uhhhh. no... I was checking her PMs in another window.... anyhoo... NO PROGRESS! I keep having regular work change my schedule and make me work more, then I also keep helping out Don on his 6 and working on Ronis Turbo and putting gauges in the wagoand seats in my 6 and and and and and and and and hopefully I'll finish the 3 things to do on the BRAT and get it running again... The wagons only so fun for so long:-\

Uhhhh. no... I was checking her PMs in another window.... anyhoo... NO PROGRESS! I keep having regular work change my schedule and make me work more, then I also keep helping out Don on his 6 and working on Ronis Turbo and putting gauges in the wagoand seats in my 6 and and and and and and and and hopefully I'll finish the 3 things to do on the BRAT and get it running again... The wagons only so fun for so long:-\

I feel that!

If you need an ea81T disty I have one. I didnt even think about it at the time when you were down my way.

I feel that!

If you need an ea81T disty I have one. I didnt even think about it at the time when you were down my way.

This *should* work with 85/86 SPFI, but since the EA81T has the vacuum advance, I'm not totally sure on it's combatibility with a Loyale SPFI system.... I know John (Mudrat) used an EA81T disty for this swap (that's what he claimed anyway - since he oviously isn't interesting in sharing a write up, or even a parts list with the rest of the community :rolleyes:).... I'm just wondering what the vacuum advance will do to the Loyale computer - the loyale gets set with 20 degrees of initial advance, and the computer does the rest right? If the computer does all the work in retarding the spark, then I guess the vac canister could just sit there unused?

GD

Just an update... I havent touched it...

BUT! Broomfield, being the gay city it is, can and will tow the BRAT off my property on the 17th since it has no visable plate on it(its on the back) so I'm gonna solder the like 10 wires to it and weld the dizzy and roll it out before the 17th.:banana:

:banana::grin:

It Runs!

Its Ghetto as hell ATM so I'll mop it up tomarrow and take pics.

The ways its ghetto cuz I was rushed:

~I accidentally switched the fuel lines, press and return cuz I did them tired originally...reswitched...Rating: not that ghetto at all, just an issue...

~I dont have an air filter for it yet, and theres no place for the box ol' box , and I didnt have a filter sooo... the box is on the spare tire deck with a K&N from a Ford Focus chillin inside...Rating: pretty Ghetto.

~The dizzy is 180 degrees out becuase I dont know how to find TDC for #1 where the cams in the right spot on an EA-81... I have to take the EFI apart slightly to get the dizzy out(rather ghetto) so I just moved the plug wires around till they were 180 out.... Also, the dizzy needs the adjustment hole trimmed so I can bolt it down... its being held in by hopes and dreams and held "in time" by the block coolant recirc hose....Rating: Really Ghetto

~The EA-82 wagon I did this on had an extra spot for another fusible link inside its link box... the BRAT does not... so I just covered the ends in electrical tape and electrical taped it to the side of the fusible link box. Rating: I can't believe that I did that Ghetto...

I'll clean those few things up and post some fancy pics tomarrow... :D