Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Jumpin' the '79...

tjZ06

Well, we made our desicion the '79 would become a "toy." It had way more body rot than we'd want to deal w/ to make it a "nice" street car. And it's just way too gutless for Silicon Valley freeways.

So here's a little day-light under all 4 action (crappy camera phone pic):

Picture005.jpg

That's what we might call "stage 1" weight reduction. The whole interior is coming out soon, roof is going by-by, and a basic "cage" is going in for structure/safety.

Then we have to do something about making this thing make power.

-TJ

you mean you are tearing up that beauty in the pic below?i almost bought that when it was for sale:-p

That's the one! So far nothing has been done that can't be reversed (we just removed the doors, hood, hatch, spare etc.).

The car just has more rust than I wanted to deal with and no power what-so-ever. The original plans were to clean it up, make it a decent DD type vehicle and RallyX it in whatever the "stock" class it falls into would be.

But I just don't think it has the power at stock weight to be any fun at all RallyXing nor deal with my 100mi/day commute on busy CA freeways. If you're still intersted in the car you shoot me a PM quick before we get our hands on the Plasma cutter. ;)

-TJ

Doors add strength to your car.

Jumping without doors will allow more damage to your car.

It'll be caged in shortly to make up for that. We're probably going to do some "safari doors" anyway which will add just as much strenght as a full door ever did (all a door serves to do structurely is tie the hinge location to the "stricker" or latch location).

Sorry to the purists, I know it's somewhat painfull to see. I understand they're a bit rare, especially in full running order. But this car does have a lot of body rot etc. from sitting in a field the last 6 years.

At least this way it's getting enjoyed!

-TJ

screw you bro:confused: you obviously don`t know the rarity of these old wagons:-\

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i tell you there are probably 10k of them that need to die out here befor they become a rarity......

i see them everyday. and every junk yard has at least a few....

but if you do insist on killing the one you have take the fenders off and sell them to someone who can keep theres alive....

Why is the hood and the rear gate still on? I say strip it and then jump it :) You could probably loose another 80+ pounds. Dont forget, those pesky windshields are heavy too.

-Brian

The hood, hatch, spare/jack and a few other things were out also. The windshield might... but probably not.

-TJ

i see them everyday. and every junk yard has at least a few....
Oh man, that's crazy! We have EA82s out the yin-yang, but I've only ever seen two Gen 1s in junkyards!

I've never even seen an EA81 on the road that wasn't a board member! even EA82's are rare in this part of the country!

Okay, that's just nuts. I want to trade places. All I can ever find is EA82s! I've only ever seen one 1995+ Legacy in the yard!