Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rats eating wiring, Rats like SUBARUs

a co worker told me about people having trouble with rats like in Seattle gettting into cars and eating the wrap on the wiring , the guy on TV said they paticulaly liked Subarus anyone heard this, any links to the story, I think its funny it makes me chuckle thinking about it , it would make a good poster or shirt, with something like :

9 out of 10 Rats prefer SUBARU :brow::headbang::banana::grin:

a co worker told me about people having trouble with rats like in Seattle gettting into cars and eating the wrap on the wiring , the guy on TV said they paticulaly liked Subarus anyone heard this, any links to the story, I think its funny it makes me chuckle thinking about it , it would make a good poster or shirt, with something like :

9 out of 10 Rats prefer SUBARU :brow::headbang::banana::grin:

So do mice! I found a nest in the ducting for the blower in an old Brat at one time. It taught me to never leave crumbs or anything edible in the car; if there's food they will find a way to get it and set up house-keeping.:eek:

a friend had an outback, wouldnt start one morn, towed to dealer and loaner picked up, dealer called, rats had chewed injecter harness, ok repairs, next morn loaner wouldnt crank, open hood rat sitting on air box, harness chewed at fuse block. owner got to buy 2 harnesses that week. owner is a judge in seattle. to keep rats out of sitting cars I put mothballs in a vented container under hood, inside car and in trunk. seems to work.:-\ :-\

I can attest to the rodent appeal of Subaru wiring. My friend kept a severely oxidized '85 GL 4x4 around as a farm beater. One time, after it had been parked next to a field for a couple of months, we came back to it only to discover that mice had utterly devastated the car's electrical system. Other vehicles have been parked in the same location, but the field mice seemed interested only in the Subie.

Must be some ingredient in the insulation, I guess.

i'm TRYIN ta eat, here! ya mind?!

(why is it that rats are always imagined to have NY/jersey accents?)

This is the funniest thing ever -especially like the rat sitting on the air box -like he's saying "yeh wadda you want!" :cool:

moth balls, how about a cat :D

still if that happened to me I wouldnt be laughing so much! crazy!

I pulled a dead mouse out of my heater vent. My heater would make a funny noise and not work very well, but only some of the time then one night I left some left overs in the car, well in the morning I noticed a hole in the styrofoam. well the mouse ended up in the fan with only half a head and I had to tear apart the dash under the passenger side. PS, anyone got a spare shifter boot for a 86 brat they could throw my way mines torn and that is how the mouse got in :brow:

I don't know about wiring but mice got into my old '85 GL Wagon at my dad's place way out in the country in Oregon City... I had spare dog food packed in one of the rear compartments, and pez in the glove box...

I went out one morning and there was insulation all over the floors... the mice had ripped out some seat padding from underneath and some insulation from under the dash...

I opened the glove box and it was totally full of shredded napkins (you always need napkins)... my poor pez dispenser was mauled, but not totally empty or chewed through...

they had also been in the heater fan because after that the heater always clicked when the fan was going...

but I never found any wiring that was chewed through...

--Spiffy