Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who has 15" wheels, pros/cons?

I was thinking of putting 15" wheels on my car

I was thinking something like this..... but with low profile tyres to match the rolling diameter of the stock 185/75r13,... i like being different:cool:

desert-rat.jpg

What are the advantages of larger rims, also, disadvantages too.

Past experience, problems, anything,.... i wanna know it all:slobber:

Cheers

So pros are obviously better looks, tyre selection and handling.

What are the cons, i assume that i wont be able to travel on really rough terrain (but i drive on road 95% of the time)

subyrally.. what do you mean they dont tuck under the renders, are they 15x6 or are they bigger? what size rubber do you have, i was told that 195/55r15 would give same rolling diameter as my 13's

Any other points i should consider?

Offset will make a difference. Is this an offroad type thing or street thing?.

I am currently running 02 WRX wheels 16x6.5 I believe, with 205/50/16s (might be 55)

The car is lowered a bit below stock. Not slammed by any means. THey tuck up in the rear quite nicely, and with a little bit of front fender rolling, they will tuck in front.

When I had 14 inch pugs though, no tuck..

WRX wheels = 53mm offset

Pug wheels = 20mm offset IIRC

Most aftermarket 40mm

Some aftermarket = 48mm

Subarus have a weird offset, a few mm can be the difference between rubbing and no rubbing.

I talked to a tyre dealer and he told me that the correct size would be 185/50r15, or 195/50r15 but it would put more strain on my driveshafts:confused:

Do 195/60r15 work without rubbing the fenders with standard suspension and how does it affect the speedo?

The guy actully recomended 14" wheels cos of how 185/50r15 profile tyres act on rough roads and gravel. I have a gravel driveway thats about 200mts long.

What would you recomend???

Cheers

my handles great on gravel roads, even with 205/50/15 tires on it. but then again, its not a mushy luxury car either. i honestly prefer to have a stiffer ride, not quite as bad as a track car, but i dont like a mushy ride. and if your suspension is working properly, it shouldnt be too bad with 15" low profile tires.

I talked to a tyre dealer and he told me that the correct size would be 185/50r15, or 195/50r15 but it would put more strain on my driveshafts:confused:

Do 195/60r15 work without rubbing the fenders with standard suspension and how does it affect the speedo?

The guy actully recomended 14" wheels cos of how 185/50r15 profile tyres act on rough roads and gravel. I have a gravel driveway thats about 200mts long.

What would you recomend???

Cheers

OK, now the big question,... your opinions on if it will look good?

15 White steel rims with low profile rubber on a Metallic red L wagon?

I like the idea of 15" but i wonder how they will go on some of our rough roads. I live in a rural area and some of our roads have lots of potholes.

Would i just be better off with 14"

Im gonna fire up a photo editor and do a photochop and see if i like it.

Thanks for all the advice and keep it coming.