Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Last week I had taken the 95 Legacy Brighton in for inspection. They failed it because the gas cap wasn't sealing properly, and one of the rear brake shoes was too low. Both of those things I've got no problem with, but they also failed me for my rear wiper not working!!! :eek: First thing I did was ask why that makes a difference. They said that all factory equipment must function. My simple reply was great, but that's not factory. See, mine is a base model with crank windows. It never had a rear wiper. I've been slowly getting all the parts to have a working one. In fact, there is no wiper arm on it because I haven't found one at the yard yet. After I explained all that he said he would let me slide on that. The car is there today for them to verify that I installed new shoes and a gas cap, we'll see if they remember the wiper.

Keith

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That reminds me of when I replaced an Olds diesel with a gas engine. Trying to do the right thing, I went to have it emissions tested. They told me they couldn't test it because the VIN said it was a diesel and the car was exempt.

Good luck on getting them to make sense.

You should have said "what do you do to people who don't have rear wipers, make them put one on their car?"

I live in PA as well and that just sounds absurd to me. It's not like you NEED your rear wiper to work for it to pass inspection... most vehicles don't even HAVE one.

You should check with someone on that, maybe they were trying to get more of your money. Never know. People who fix your car can be shady.

One thing I learned about inspections, try to never watch. If you wait, go when they are busy and sit, stand where you can't observe or drop the car off and come back later. Their fear is being caught by the state and losing their license. I knew a guy who got busted because of a missing lugnut behind a hubcap! Total setup by the state inspectors. If you ask to watch or stand where you are observing - they must perform every step thouroughly. If they feel secure you're not from the state, they might do a 'cursory' inspection. Always try to go to the same location - they are very suspicious of newcomers with weird cars that ask to watch.

fyi

Carl

NY inspection is not much better..........

And this is coming from me, who has had a license to do inspections.

Now there is the OBD II inspection that has to hook up 96 and newer cars to a computer that has a direct phone line to the state DMV.

Technology was obsolete before they did their first inspection! They now have frequent problems with the system overloading because everyone waits til the end of the month to get their cars done.

Yes, gas cap is part of inspection here as well............but certainly not rear wipers..............

swi66

Last week I had taken the 95 Legacy Brighton in for inspection. They failed it because the gas cap wasn't sealing properly, and one of the rear brake shoes was too low. Both of those things I've got no problem with, but they also failed me for my rear wiper not working!!! :eek: First thing I did was ask why that makes a difference. They said that all factory equipment must function. My simple reply was great, but that's not factory. See, mine is a base model with crank windows. It never had a rear wiper. I've been slowly getting all the parts to have a working one. In fact, there is no wiper arm on it because I haven't found one at the yard yet. After I explained all that he said he would let me slide on that. The car is there today for them to verify that I installed new shoes and a gas cap, we'll see if they remember the wiper.

Keith

i agree totally but at least they don't fail for rust like they did 20 years ago! i mean freakin' body rust use to have to be fixed to pass! now its just if the hole goes through into the pass compartment. btw, i work in reading.

gregg

I really think that guy is wrong. If he gives you anymore crap about the wiper tell him to show you in the inspection manual where it is listed. Then let me know b/c I don't recall that and I HAVE a PA inspection license. :brow:

I trust this guy whole heartedly. I've been taking my cars there for about 4 years now and he knows me. As soon as I say my name he say ah, so which subaru is it? He knows that I do my own work and has always given me the car back to fix when something is wrong. I know that the law sates all lights on the car must work, this includes aux. fog or driving lights. I've been given a hard time on that before. Since he said he would let me go on the wiper I'm not going to give him a hard time, and by next year I should have the realay I need to make it work, and the arm.

The EXACT same thing happened to me. sort of. Mine passed except the rear whiper blade was shot. He said he wouldnt give me the sticker with it that way.

So i ran to Auto Zone right across the street and got one for $3 and put it on my self right there. The dealer would have charged me $20 to put one on. But he was cool about me doing it this way (in fact it was his idea) and aploigized for the incomvenience. So it dont think its a dealer scam since he reccomended i get one my self. but you are right the inspection laws are getting rediculous.

I think they were originally made to prevent unsafe vehicles from hurting other people. The blinker thing is just overboard.

Pennsylvania was the first state to have inspections. Twice a year starting in 1936. They went to annual inspections around the late 70's give or take, they've gotten easier over the years, partly because cars and tires especially hold up a lot better, but now with emissions mixed in, there's a whole new annoyance to deal with.

From the other point of view..................

Speaking as a guy who has inspected cars for years.......

If most people had seen what I had seen as far as the condition of the cars I have failed..........they would be afraid to go near a highway.

I've had people tell me, "I don't want an inspection, just a sticker!" In other words........my car is unsafe to drive, but I want to anyways.....

Many have told me year after year........"I'm getting rid of this in a few weeks, so don't worry about it".

Probably the last inspection I did was a beat up old K-car.

Bald left front tire with cords hanging out, lower ball joint ready to fall out, left outer tie rod, a couple of lights out, shredded wiper blades.

Woman swore she was getting rid of it soon. Cried cause she did not have money to fix it. Then called me every name in the book because I failed it and still wanted her to pay for the inspection.

I had to tell her I would call the police if she left without paying.............Then told her I didn't think the car was safe enough to drive across the parking lot, let alone home with that ball joint and front tire the way it was.................By the way, the spare in the trunk was in the same condition, and flat............

I live in PA and my 98 Outback failed inspection because one of the license plate light bulb is out and the window tint was too dark. I had to replace the bulb and remove the window tint in order to pass the inspection. When the car was registered in NY the tint was not an issue and I have seen plenty of cars with much darker tint with current PA inspection stickers.

I'm from out west, so these east coast safety inspections have always struck me as kinda funny. I mean, the last time I can recall maintenance issues causing crashes it was an underinflated tire problem on Ford SUVs that were driven at high speeds. In the vast majority of cases it seems to me that safety's not in the car--it's in the way the car is driven and the mental state/capacity of the driver.

Let's face it--tires lose air 24 hours a day, 52 weeks a year. Should weekly inspections be the standard? You can pick up a nail anytime. maybe daily would be better. And think of all the jobs this would create!:rolleyes:

Why is a windshield with an 11/16" crack safe, but 3/4" on the passenger's side so hazardous it needs replacing?

Laws are for changing, people. Write your state representatives and let 'em know that we're not driving '36 Fords with real rubber tires anymore.

From the other point of view..................

Speaking as a guy who has inspected cars for years.......

If most people had seen what I had seen as far as the condition of the cars I have failed..........they would be afraid to go near a highway.

I became a HUGE fan of annual inspections 3 years ago when I went to my buddies wedding in MN. His soon to be brother-in-law was driving a mid 80's blazer with rear shocks that might as well be sitting on the floor of his garage. The bushings rear bushing were shot, and one of the front tie rods must have been ready to fall apart. We were going out the night before the wedding and had to make some evasive manuvers and almost died. Stupid thing was swerving all over the road and almost rolled over. We had just gone over some rough railroad track when somebody pulled out of a driveway in front of us. The back end of the car was still bouncing violently when he swerved to the left and the thing lost all control. Ever since then I've been a big believer.

and on my street you could find at least five unsafe cars. A ball joint fell out of a late model pickup the other day and was towed in. The oversized rims and tires probably did not help that one.

Inspections are not all that bad an idea but they should be rational. If people were perfect cars would be well maintained, but I don't think that is going to happen.

You should have said "what do you do to people who don't have rear wipers, make them put one on their car?"

I live in PA as well and that just sounds absurd to me. It's not like you NEED your rear wiper to work for it to pass inspection... most vehicles don't even HAVE one.

You should check with someone on that, maybe they were trying to get more of your money. Never know. People who fix your car can be shady.

no, he's right. you're a fellow pittsburgher, you should be used to it.

ALL FACTORY EQUIPTMENT MUST WORK!!! PERIOD, THAT'S THE WAY IT IS!

if there never was a rear wiper, it doesn't fail. if there is one from the factory and it doesn't work, it fails. live with it. that's the law, if you don't like it move to ohio or write rendell.

i agree totally but at least they don't fail for rust like they did 20 years ago! i mean freakin' body rust use to have to be fixed to pass! now its just if the hole goes through into the pass compartment. btw, i work in reading.

gregg

No its any hole in the frame or unibody. Don't they realize those are just speed holes? Sad thing is they'll pass it if you put freaking caulk in the hole.