Ultimate Subaru Message Board
WJM

SEVERE RX problem...

Ok, after a nice 110 MPH run, WOT, for aobut 3 miles, I come to a stop, ruff idle, and its got aobut 1/3 power.

Its getting fuel and fire. I have no way to see if its getting fire at the right time tho...and no way to check compression. Its oil and coolant leves and pressures are normal, temps too.

So, what it the problem? Any guesses?

Seems like 1 and 3 are not contributing very much, btw...

pull your plug wires one by one and see if it makes a difference. If you pull one and the idle doesn't change, chances are that cylinder isn't firing.. but, like corky said, you probably blew a vacuum line

Thanks Corky, I'll check that.

calebz: I pulled each plug wire one by one, each cylinder makes a difference. I also pilled Fuel injector plugs too...makes same diff as plug wires.

So, vac line search. Anyone else?

Perhaps your fuel injectors weren't contributing enough fuel in cylinders 1 and/or 3 causing the pistons rings to overheat. I hope that's not true and I'm probably WAY off but that is what happened to project RX at the Subespeed site. I believe he was making a highway run as well. :( Good luck!

I drove my volvo from seattle to oregon at a non stop 80mph... Its a 4spd and thats like REALLY fast for that car. When i slowed down it would not rev below 3000rpm and had about 1/2 power. It was a vacuum line and the air intake fell off somewhere along the way.:o

I tihnk that maybe I have lost compression on cyl number one or three....the subspeed dude was cruising. I was at WOT. lol So myabe I had the same problem, but it appeared more suddenly, i would not doubt there being trash in the FI system, the car was poorly maintained. I just installed a new fuel filter.

Maybe a burned valve?

I'd do a compression check if I were you, that would aid the diagnosis. I dunno about back there, but out here Schucks has a tune-up kit that comes with a timing light, compression tester, and like 2 other tools for like $40 bucks.

WOT for 3mi doesnt sound like much but, I bet that turbo got plenty hot! You might have fried the cat, if you still have one.

Rob

my car dropped a valve seat, i believe. did your heads have cracks between the valves? mine had trouble after an 8000 rpm rev. (i know that wasnt good, but i just so happened to be at a high school parking lot with weak oil burning rice wannabes!)

Cylinder Number Three, exhaust valve seat. Valve stuck open.

The GL-10 is in the middle of the FT4WD conversion, shift linkages and center driveshaft support still being worked out...so, I have no transportation....although the RX is still driveable...