Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lets play.. name that sound

Ok here is the deal I have a 87 brat and just got new tires on it..(well I got new tires on it twice because i forgot to ask if I need a lift to fit 225,70,r15 :mad: at least it looked cool :clap: ) and now when I go over 40 I hear a hum like the kind of hum you hear when you pull on to the ribbed sides of the high way, just not as loud and I can feel it just a little bit in the steering wheel.

When I turn around a wide corner it goes a way but when my steering wheel is stratight it comes back.

Does any one know if wallmart did not balance the wheel right would it make this sound?

SOME HISTORY-

I dont know if any of this helps but I fixed the passanger side wheel berring last week and I need to replace the drivers side rotor becase it is

BADDLY groved like almost through the other side groved and since I am not the first or third owner of this brat I dont know how long the rotor has been this way.

Thanks

John

They are Douglas Xtra-trac.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1819233&year=&make=&model=&vehicle_path=false&tire_spec_selected=&tire_width=175&tire_ratio=80&tire_diameter=13&tire_type=&tire_load_index=&tire_load_range=&tire_speed_rating=&tire_equivalent_load_index=&tire_size=

I dont think it is bad road. I just got back from a trip to Denver that is 1000 miles round trip. Now that I think about it I may of had heard a rubbing sound when I was makeing a slow tight turn.

I thought wheel berrings go " clunk" at least my last one did.:confused:

Hi!

I think that sound comes from the Tire Itself, Due to the Hard Rugged Pattern they have... when the Rubber "Bricks" of the corner of the tire hit the pavement, they made that sound...

I got that problem long time Ago... in my Dad`s Truck... he did put on it a "Tractor" tires, they are extremly Noisy on Pavement.

I suggest to make you be Sure about that, to drive your car with other Tires... Maybe you got a friend who has another subie and can let you use it`s rims with his Tires on yours just for a while... ...Try to drive it in the same street / road when you hear that noise, and if it still comes, ìs a Ball Bearing, if not, it was the Tire.

In that case, you must become accustomed to it...

Good Luck! :)

An aggressive tread off-road tire will hum loudly on the highway. I have 32" super swampers on my Samurai. The radio is worthless at speeds over 40 mph..

Does the hum seem to be in quadraphonic stereo like it's coming from all around? If so then it's probably the tires. If the hum appears isolated to a particular tire, I'd go with a wheel bearing or balancing problem.

With aggressive off-road tires, balancing is a problem quite often. You may want to look into dynamic tire balancing.. (don't laugh.. I used a commercial version of this in my tires and it works great...

http://www.4x4trailhunters.com/article.php?id=18

• 2 weeks later...