Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T high compression engine. Thoughts and opinions?

So I have sourced a few options from my personal junkyard. I can get all these for free mind you so here we go.

EA82 SPFI x2

EA82 carbed

EA82T

All engines are unknown condition. The turbo engine was sitting in the car with no intake, valve covers and now has been out of the car enduring the weather for quite a few months. One of the SPFI engines has been torn down for some unknown reason but is still in the car. Carbed and the other SPFI engine are still complete and are sitting in the cars out of the weather. So, what would make a good high compression EA82T from these options? What compression ratio is going to be lower then the other (SPFI vs. carbed)? I don't want to go extreme high compression cause then I will have some issues running on pump gas when I move back to the PNW and higher boost. I'm planning on running about 10psi of boost in this car with the larger 280ZX turbo injectors and AFPR. I do plan on taking it to the drag strip a few times but I'll get some 110 octane for that;) So what do you guys think, and what opinions do you have? Also, my Delta cams (260 duration) are planned to go in as well. Plus a few other mods like exhaust and such.

Personally I think you should go with the spfi block,and since you said you have the better mpfi heads already I would do that along with your cams which I think would be sweet.Are you going to reseal it when you get the block?Will be an awsome runner I am sure either way you go.:burnout:

Well I am planning on tearing it down to the shortblock, replacing all of the seals/gaskets, putting my gen 2 turbo heads with my cams on it, and a new oil pump as well so I don't have it die on me... again.

I also have planned to get the block and heads O-ringed as well, but I dunno if I can use stock headgaskets with the O-rings. Anyone know?

Turbone... I have a MPFI block (caleb says 9:1 compression) $100 OBO

Also Caboob, if you need some coppers to go with your o-ringing I have some you can have... $50 for teh set, i'll even throw in the neat copper sticky spray can.

Caleb, what shortblock are you running with your setup? Just curious to see how its running and what sort of problems you've encountered.

I used carb'd

Lasted about 6k miles before a suspect ring proved it was crapping out. 10psi, 7300 rpm, 3rd gear. Boost into crank case. Rear main apprears to have popped out like a cork.

Oil everywhere.

I have a good Spidered NA motor in the garage.

Am thinking of selling the wagon and getting something that will make some real power.

Haven't really decided yet.

I used a N/A MPFI XT block for my motor. Dont know what CR it is really, looks like everyone has their own opinion. All i know, is I like not having to rely on boost. I do miss my 10psi but im happy with 6psi and higher compression.

I say you do it Russ... use whatever block you can get your hands on that looks the best, but watch your boost. Dont over do it, and tune your car right.

Ive only put about 800 miles on my car since Ive got it running. At this time, Im having some wierd boost problems, i hope its only my turbo.

-Brian

Turbone... I have a MPFI block (caleb says 9:1 compression) $100 OBO

Also Caboob, if you need some coppers to go with your o-ringing I have some you can have... $50 for teh set, i'll even throw in the neat copper sticky spray can.

Thanks for the offer, but I just picked a carbed engine on Monday. Got to go with that right now.

Ya but the ultimate would be the subaru justy pistons which would bump it up to 12.5:1 compression!:drunk:

I like the sound of the engine you are building DrKrazy.The spfi block and gen2 heads sounds like a win.I will have to talk to you about when I can stop by to bring your spider.:)

This winter when I was doing time trials with some friends up the mountain I hit 15 psi - 20 psi everytime I put it to floor. Usually for 3 seconds or so about a dozen times on the 20 minute climb to the top. NO HG issues yet, 10 months total on this motor.

This is on SPFI block with turbo goodies, TWE pipes/header, audi TMIC, and increased fuel pressure. The oil cooler is going back on for the summer tho.

Run it rich and you'll be fine.