Ultimate Subaru Message Board

would it be bad to modify this for my carbed ea82?

It's a bilge pump from a boat. It's designed to move air, not to compress it. It won't give you any added performance. This guy rips people off all the time. Here's one of his feedback comments:

s.gificonNeg_16x16.gifThanks for the $180 deskfan... No thanks to the $10 rebate for feedback

So apparently he pays people to give him positive feedback. If you read the feedback, some of it is + but with negative comments.

The physics behind the device just don't work. Don't waste your money.

I've always wondered - 20 or so odd car batteries, and a leaf blower motor..... maybe. Would be a good eppisode of mythbusters - I can only imagine what they would end up using for 15 lbs of boost from something "electric" :eek:

GD

I agree that would be a good project for mythbusters.

I saw something like this awhile back posted. This one has everything in it tho. If you think an ea82 needs a giant turbo... Just an electric fan blown into airbox changes how it runs.There is not much happening in an engine that gets 40mpg on an intake smaller round than my... :-\ Interesting gadget to kick in at 1500 rpm or so ... (why wait till full throttle?). I still believe it works like they say, except pushing my own luck switching it on at lower rpms ...:burnout:

I bet it does something.. I am certain I encountered someone who tried a "smog pump" (simply pumped air) from a 70's v8 more common on chryslers than anything. Gave an idle like a locomotive (a bit exxagerated of course) and did not do so well in the auto tranny shifts as it ran all the time. Don't know if it was carbed or not, but the smog pump would be coming from one.Helped tremedously on low rpm boost, right where four cylinders really need it.I bet a standard shift could milk it along.:burnout:

I would like to try that electric version sometime....