Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fastest EA's?

rguyver your car is going to be so sick!!! and if I were you I would be hoping for 11's. I am curious as to how your doing the axles and suspension.

I was going to build a EJ hatch with a 170 or so horse ej25 and D/R 5sp plus stock everything else(lol), but apparently hatches are actually kind of rare near me. it will have to wait for another day, maybe if I tire of my legacy by the time my turbo motor build is done, there will be a 350hp hatch running around.:brow: would require a lot more work for that kind of power and still be safe though.

so is the ea81t as prone to head cracking as the ea82t, and have you ea folks tried cryogenically treating some heads? from what i hear it does wonders for the heat handling and expansion properties of cast aluminum.

what is generally considered the upper level of reliable power in ea81t and ea82t?

any bad rump roast NA builds using some dual weber 48 IDAs, big compression and cam?

That would of been my post you saw the info in... Cos the search does not work I will just post all the info again.

Oh, and sorry for hijacking (if this thread is only about EA81's)

http://ausubaru.com/main/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1589&highlight=

Item 85 Ex-rally Leone RX

Condition Engine = New

Driveline = New

Interior = Good

Body = Average. Rust above windscreen, rear quarter glass & wheel arch.

Location Benowa Waters, Gold Coast

Price Offers over $5000.

Contact me.......

Due to a change in lifestyle, I gotta recover some of my costs.

Have spent over $12,000 in the last year on it with the intention of finishing the project. No expense was spared with the build, all work done by professionals. Only thing I didnt get done was the bodywork. Have all the genuine RX side strips, front rubber skirt & boot spoiler & grille (not fitted)

Current engine contains all the good bits - custom forged pistons, chrome rings, balanced crank & rods, large duration cams, o-ringed heads good for 30psi+ boost.

Complete new fuel system (Haltech F10x, Bosch 550hp external pump, Malpassi hi-pressure regulator, 3 bar MAP sensor, all new wiring)

New driveline (fresh gearbox, clutch & flywheel new rear subframe, suspension arms, drive-shafts, brake rotors and wheel bearings)

These are the componants that have only just been replaced. See below for complete list of mods. Comes with 2 sets of wheels (15" Superlites & 13" Enkei rally) both have new sets of tires. Will supply personalised plates ORX.18 (QLD) and stereo at buyers discression.

Specs:

Engine:

- EA82T

- Custom forged 92.5mm pistons (SPS Pistons)

- Chrome rings

- O-ringed heads/block

- Modified cams

- Balanced crank & rods

- New lifters

- Larger valves/springs

- Lots of headwork

- Custom radiator & new water pump

- Custom turbo manifold

- VF-10 turbo (18psi)

- 3" Core custom bar & plate intercooler approx 700mm x 350mm

- 2.5" Chromed intercooler plumbing

- Turbonetics adaptors

- 3" Mandrel bent exhaust & dump pipe, single muffler to 3" tip

- 4" Inlet K&N filtercharger

- Stainless steel oil catch can w/ K&N filter & brass fittings

- Chromed custom strut brace

- Seam welded front end

Fuel System

- Haltech F10x progammable ECU

- 3 Bar map sensor

- Malpassi adjustable fuel pressure regulator

- Bosch Motorsport 044 550hp external fuel pump

- 330cc injectors (need bigger for higher boost - 20+psi)

- 10mm Top Gun leads

- NGK Iridium plugs

- GFB Boost controller

Driveline

- Custom clutch (uprated diaphragm)

- 1 tonne pressure plate

- Lightened flywheel

- Adjustable coil-overs (fr)

- Enkei minilites 13x5s incl spare

- Performace super-lites 15x7 incl spare

- Bendix Metal King pads

Inside

- Momo Corse steering wheel & boss kit

- Autometer Pro-Comp Ultra-Lite 30psi Boost, Water Temp & Oil Press guages

- HKS elec turbo timer

- Boot mounted battery

- Pioneer DEH-P723 CD player

- Kicker KX3504 amplifier

- Pioneer 15" Sub in sealed enclosure

- Focal 4" Splits

staunch.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Are those Empi Porsche style rims?

I assume you are refering to the rims on the 280hp rx.

They are Superlites, made by Performance Wheels.

I think they are about $900 a set

I wanna get some, but i need more of the folding stuff

My 88 GL hatch can cherp all four 13'' rims sporting rubber bands, on the shift to 2nd at 4k rpm on dry pavement :) That's all that matters to me! After hearing my car most people think it's turbo'd and don't bother trying to race, but if they do. I just tell them, lets see who can hit 60mph first on a gravel road :D The car doesn't have much after 70mph unless you beat the piss out of it, but even then the exhaust note isn't all that enjoyable. Someday I'll when I find a decent 5speed with 3.9's I swap that in there.

You can guess my power output if you want, your guess is as good as mine!

My EA-81 power mods include:

MSD 6aL Ignition

MSD blaster coil

MSD plug wire set

Bosch 4 platinum plugs

10.3:1 compression

Solid Lifters

275 cam

Custom Y-pipe/exhaust

38 DGES webs

K/N Air Filter

Nipendenso Disty

Future mods to be done:

Big Valve heads

Toyota MR-2 Supercharger

1.25 Rockers

Now my camaro had real power, but to me the EA81 subaru is more about fun in the mud than speed! I mean for the love of Santa Clause and the Easter Bunney! it handles like a freaking half melted Marsh Mellow! PLus I'm getting 31mpg highway with an inline fuel regulator. I don't think I will bother with a dyno... I've seen and tuned more complicated push lawn mowers! :drunk:

Fishums

man, i have to see this thing in action fishums! are you sporting dual webers or just a single? are you going to put the pugs on? i have a set of 13in mags sitting here that are the widest i have ever seen.

i`ll have to drop a b18 in my honda and see who wins lol:lol:

Does anyone have a video of a custom loyale? takeoff, sound and speed etc of a street more than offroad? I never saw one.... I know there is some quick ones out there, not even turbo'd. My own old 2wd loyale with over 150k surprises the hell out of me sometimes, with just a few simple cheap mods.I know now it is ecu related non-hackable probs. Would love to see the the higher comp run sooboutlaw :) . It is a similar motivation to what I haven't acheived yet. I may make a show and tell vid just for fun, as I have never seen one :drunk: . The more I look around at the high revving lunacy of newer 4 bangers with crazy exhausts and wings on the back , 2 inches off the ground screaming holy hell to get to 60...with an engine bigger than 1.8l 4cyl the more I think my old loyale is a genius, just by manufacture , and even with its few serious mistakes hindering performance. I straight faced mean what I just said. For all humble 1781 cc-- Subaru coulda shoulda and woulda done something incredible with the EA, and didn't.:mad:

• 3 months later...

My Ea71 powered '80 brat will spin second, and pull all the way to 85 mph :) but then thats it; it's tacked at about 5,750 rpms. :-\ (I love the look on peoples faces when an old subie go screaming by them with all its got)

my ea81 wagon doesnt pull much at all past 60mph.... but thats due to some transmission problems and weird compression on the engine(125psi cyl 1 and 4, 195psi cyl 2 and 3); its got plenty of low end grunt though its unstoppable on curvy gravel roads with the right amount of weigh in the rear.

the '86 ea71 hatch I just bought doesnt have too much low end cause the gearing sucks but it will pull nicely on the highway up untill about 85(probably faster but havent gone any faster yet) and still get a good 35-40mpg. Completely stock with properly tuned hitachi and everything intact. It drives real smooth for 217k on the clock

right now I'm building an ea81 to put into my lifted rig. planning on using 9.5:1 ea82 spfi pistions and I think a 272 cam and hydro lifters, larger valves and I'm not sure if I want to do more than .020 off the heads yet, was thinking .040 but not sure if that'd be too much compression was planning on spfi but I'm thinking about possibly going dual webers. Should have that together in a couple weeks I'll post sayin how it goes when the time comes.

My ea81t dyno'd at 120HP at the front wheels. That's with pretty stock internals, 10psi, TMIC ( with very rough piping ), Wolf3d, std headers.

Pretty soon I hope to replace the TMIC pipes with mandrel bent stainless, and a new set of headers.

It's not super fast, but fast enough to have fun :)

• 2 weeks later...