Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lifting a turbo?

Hurley

totally impossible.

the turbo fluid reservoir is a sealed unit and cant be moved without causing a major reduction in turbo life. additionally, the exhaust is routed through the transmission which makes problems with the catylitic converter bracket when you put in a lift.

i mean lifting a GL turbo wagon

Do it. Make sure that you have a tranny w/ Lo range so you can keep your turbo spooled while moving slowly.

As for the sealed turbo fluid reservoir, I had to remove my windshield wipers to make it fit; talk about a design flaw! :clap:

Also, it helps to have decals:

DSCN0108_001.jpg

For those with lifted turbos, I have a question. How does the car respond to water crossings? I might pop a lift on my turbo wagon and that concerned me.

I'd say just fab some kind of shield to keep water off of it. Or slow down a little thru the water.

When i installed my lift.. i kept on running out of directional fluid :rolleyes:

had to seal up some things ;)

yeah, after i lifted mine, my muffler bearing went bad and the exhaust fluid had to be flushed. EXPENSIVE maintenence.

sometimes i get the feeling my mechanic isn't being 100% honest with me.

I'd say just fab some kind of shield to keep water off of it. Or slow down a little thru the water.

Wow, one on topic post.... Thanks Eric, I'll try to fab something up. I might lift the wagon, but not really offroad it. I was just wondering what others do about their turbos.

he said the light fluids in general looked ok, but i should come in in about 10k miles for a flush/cleaning

be sure your wires still have smoke in them. mine ran out of smoke, $75 to fix...

and the fluxcapacitor! don't forget to change that every gas fill-up....

but, yeah, lift the turbo and :burnout:

Not worried about the turbo itself, if it's really hot the snailshell on the hotside might crack at the worst. BUT if there's any stress on the header and it's really hot and then submerged it could crack at the flange to the turbo. Happened once to me but my exhaust was all fubared from sliding on it. The stainless TWE header and DP are solid and show no signs of fatigue. Get a parts car, or 3 heh, that's my advice.