Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Soob Dominates Mexican Desert!

Was this you? Nice pictures and a story to go along with it. Thanks!

Thanks! Yes it was me. This was a test of Soob reliability. Like I mention in the write up 100 miles out in the Mexican desert is no place to get stuck. Based on the years I have been working on my Soob I put together an "everything but the kitchen sink" parts kit that I carried in a plastic box. Thankfully I didn't need it, the Soob performed flawlessly. Next time I might bring 3 spares and 3 jerry cans of gas though. :grin:

Hey! Nice Trip, I Like It!

:)

I love those kind of trips... but in mexico there aren`t subarus yet, Isn`t it? so you must carry with you all the thinkable spare parts...

I like too much the photos you take, and the Story you wroted. Very Nice!

Maybe next time you come here, to central america. :)

Hey! Nice Trip, I Like It!

:)

I love those kind of trips... but in mexico there aren`t subarus yet, Isn`t it? so you must carry with you all the thinkable spare parts...

I like too much the photos you take, and the Story you wroted. Very Nice!

Maybe next time you come here, to central america. :)

That's right, no Soobs in Mexico so parts would be tricky. Many of the parts were also used on other Japanese cars though, so you might be able to find some. To be safe my spare parts kit included a carb, distributor, fuel pump, alternator, front wheel bearing kit, bunch of tubing, several dozen feet of electrial wire, exhaust patch kit and of course loads of bailing wire.

Someday when I have more time I may decide to take the Soob to Central America and parts beyond. Wouldn't a picture of a Soob in Tierra del Fuego rock?

Wouldn't a picture of a Soob in Tierra del Fuego rock?

YES!

:headbang:

I think that too...

I have traveled to mexico -About one year ago- this year to Nicaragua, in 2001 to El Salvador, 2000 to Guatemala, and long time ago to Costa Rica and Panama, in my Soob... I LOVE IT... but, since the Rise of Gasoline prices... I`ll think two times before I star a huge trip again...

But I Love to Trip in My Subaru... Just in it. I don`t like to voyage in airplanes, trains, etc... definetively, I dislike to sit down in any artifact that I don`t drive... You Know...

Let me tell ya that your Photos of that trip are Absolutely Wonderful... Just Great! thanx for sharing them with us...

th_YouRock.gif

Im Oficially Jelous.. I Cant Take My Car Any Where But Mt Loop Highway.. Fir Some Odd Reason I Dont Trust High Mile Cars Lol Even Though Its A Soob And Some Kid Had 377 K On His But Still Right On Man Sweet Keep Up The Treking

awsome. thank you for posting that. sometimes we can forget about the world around us with our day to day things. it is pictures and a stories like yours that makes me remember that there is more out there than just what we see and do on a daily basis. brave man running off the bear:eek: . good luck with future trips. gonna check into the military cans as well.

• 2 weeks later...

What a trip. Everything is bigger down there. How many miles in all was it? Love the pics, awesome challenge in a car that can.I have done similar, non-stop in an old soob, very satisfying venture. Looked like alot of straight road to the horizon..

To say simple isn't better is proven otherwise by motivations like yours.:)

Thanks! Yes it was me. This was a test of Soob reliability. Like I mention in the write up 100 miles out in the Mexican desert is no place to get stuck. Based on the years I have been working on my Soob I put together an "everything but the kitchen sink" parts kit that I carried in a plastic box. Thankfully I didn't need it, the Soob performed flawlessly. Next time I might bring 3 spares and 3 jerry cans of gas though. :grin:

What was in your parts kit? Great adventure! Great story! Thanks for sharing. Rick:)

hmm sites seems to have exceed the month quota

can anyone host it for him?

i am planning a baja trip soon. Would like to get some info on what you experienced.

please pm me.

Thanks

BW

What he said...

Somethings messed with the site, too much traffic?

GREAT WRITE up and pics.

One thing... ya might want to split the page into several parts that way it's easier to view and to upload.

My trip to Mexico will be a lot more tame as I will be sticking to asphalt and taking my wife and some friends.

Thanks for sharing.

BW

awesome, awesome write-up man...

after perusing this board so much, my regret over the driveline in my '87 gl-10 (2wd auto) has grown from a minor irritation over not having a five speed to raw envy and incredulity that i dont have a four wheel drive subaru...

my friend and i had an 82 brat that we were playing with for a while, but he ripped all the ignition wiring out before i could tell him that we needed it... and the project stalled over that, the car went bye-bye about six months later.. with my uncle's weber on it, to boot. id sell my soul to have that thing back now.....

Thanks for all the comments, guys!

Sorry about the occasional outages on the web page. It is hosted by the company I work for and the space still has all of these silly traffic quotas. I check it every so often and fix it, so if you can't see the page try back the next day.

The first month I owned my Soob I took it out on a nasty 4x4 track in Idaho. This was before I had replaced the useless factory shocks or clicky CV joints. After a water crossing and bottoming out the chest plate many times I made it out and back home. I figured if the car could make it in that condition then it was a keeper. Obviously I've spruced it up quite a bit since then.

The beauty of these old cars is that they are field strippable, like an M-16. Once you know how to swap out a carb and disty, and hot wire the fuel pump then you will pretty much always be able to get her running. Then just make sure your drive line is in good shape and you'll be good to go.

Before this trip the bearing grease had well over 30K miles and many mud and water crossings on it, so it was kind of marginal. On the way back I started to get a squeek, and by now it has become a full on bearing growl. While off roading in Mexico I also smashed one of the clamps that hold down the torsion bar, so overall it looks like time for some front end TLC on the Soob.

Two spare tires and two jerry cans of gas gave me much comfort indeed. As for the spare parts kit I just got a big plastic tool box and filled it with things in descending priority until it was full. Carb and disty are obvious things that you have to have and are hard to jimmy rig, so there was a working one of each of those. I also packed one pair of front wheel bearings with their seals, an alternator, a fuel pump, an exhaust patch kit, a tire patch kit, several dozen feet of electrical cord and of course a big ol' spool of bailing wire. I figured if I kept going I would eventually just have a rebuilt engine in the back and that would get kinda silly.

Anyway, it was worth it all for the thrill of thrashing around in a mud pit 100 miles from civilization.

• 4 months later...

A horse with no name.I love my wife and daughter,but if I were single and young again I would definatley be there with ya. Thats reminds me of a trip to a small fishing village called Loreto, B.C.(now it has an international airport) in the 80s.

But In this case we are praising you as much as the car,if not more.

How did i miss this when it first came out.

what a wonderfull adventure,and a great treat for us to enjoy.Thank you.

P.s. great spanish.and more huevos than most people I know. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I really enjoyed that. I about spilled my drink when I seen the 80 MPH mark and 4k RPM pic. I was scared to do 60 MPH in my hatch. I can only imagine how loud that EA81 was.

scared to do 60 in your hatch? My hatch w/ the ea71 I had well over 85 on my way home from buying it(btw the seller was selling it cause it didnt run, I drove it away).

My street wagon I have up around 95-100 all the time... these motors can take high rpms all day... aircraft guys run them at like 8-9k rpms all day.